GA-G31M-ES2L
CPU
E5300
Graphics
8800 GTS
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Does anyone know what purpose this kext has?

"Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext, sometimes referred to as DSMOS or DSMOSX, is a file present in Intel-capable versions of the Mac OS X operating system which enforces a form of Digital Rights Management, preventing Mac OS X being installed on stock PCs. The name of the kext is a reference to the Mac OS X license conditions, which allow installation on one piece of Apple hardware only. According to Apple, anything else is stealing Mac OS X. The kext is located at /System/Library/Extensions on the volume containing the operating system.[4] The extension contains a kernel function called page_transform() which performs AES decryption of "apple-protected" programs. A Mac OS X system which is missing this extension, or a system where the extension has determined it's not running on Apple hardware, will be missing this decryption capability, and as a result will not be able to run the Apple-restricted binaries Dock, Finder, loginwindow, SystemUIServer, mds, ATSServer, backupd, fontd, translate, or translated."

So if I understand that right, if I remove the kext, the whole system is ****ed, right?

I think you shouldn't delete that kext and also i think that FakeSMC takes care of DSMOSX protection.

Okay, I'll just leave it there.

While troubleshooting a QE issue I was having with my GPU, I added several kexts and saw this next and removed it. Now Mac OS X hangs on boot and not sure if deleting the don't steal next caused it. I can't even boot in Single User mode :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back