Contribute
Register

Does this Build work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, heres the build I’m looking to get for 4k video editing on FCPX and Motion. Also looking to be able to use the icloud and iMessage.

I have used the advice of the September build for the most part except in the Samsung 960 Pro, PSU and monitor.

No gaming...

Will this setup work for Sierra or High Sierra? and Can I use Quick Sync for export on FinalCut?
  • Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27
  • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard- looking to run Samsong 950 Ideally
  • Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)
  • Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
  • Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC (White)
  • Corsair Power Supplies , RMi 750W CP-9020082-NA
  • Corsair Hydro Series H105 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
  • TP-Link AC1900 WiFi PCI-Express Wireless Network Card | Beamforming Technology (Archer T9E) Do I need a different care for BlueTooth?
  • NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Computer Case, Black (CA-SO530-M1)

Hey guys, heres the build I’m looking to get for 4k video editing on FCPX and Motion. Also looking to be able to use the icloud and iMessage.

I have used the advice of the September build for the most part except in the Samsung 960 Pro, PSU and monitor.

No gaming...

Will this setup work for Sierra or High Sierra? and Can I use Quick Sync for export on FinalCut?
  • Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27
  • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard- looking to run Samsong 950 Ideally
  • Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)
  • Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
  • Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC (White)
  • Corsair Power Supplies , RMi 750W CP-9020082-NA
  • Corsair Hydro Series H105 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
  • TP-Link AC1900 WiFi PCI-Express Wireless Network Card | Beamforming Technology (Archer T9E) Do I need a different care for BlueTooth?
  • NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Computer Case, Black (CA-SO530-M1)

The Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD is not supported in MacOS Sierra. A hack is required for the Sierra installation program to recognize the drive. The current test version of High Sierra does support third party M.2 NVMe SSD but we don't know if the release version of High Sierra (to be released on September 25) still retains this support.

The Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD is not supported in MacOS Sierra. A hack is required for the Sierra installation program to recognize the drive. The current test version of High Sierra does support third party M.2 NVMe SSD but we don't know if the release version of High Sierra (to be released on September 25) still retains this support.

Thanks for the reply. Can I run that 960 on el caption? Also, what do you think of the
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code? it has integrated Wifi and figured it would be nice and more future proof.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Thanks for the reply. Can I run that 960 on el caption? Also, what do you think of the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code? it has integrated Wifi and figured it would be nice and more future proof.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

No. El Capitan is older than Sierra and its installation program won't recognize a NVMe drive like the Samsung 960 Pro.

MacOS High Sierra has just been released. According to the information gathered so far it seems that the release version of High Sierra retains the third party NVMe support. So you may try your luck with High Sierra.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-is-now-available-on-the-mac-app-store.231773/

The Samsung 960 is working without any fixes in High Sierra. It's native nvme support with that drive.

For the wifi if it's Intel wifi it won't work and you will have to replace the module with a Broadcom or Atheros that's compatible with OS/OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back