Contribute
Register

Does macOS High Sierra support NVME SSD natively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this patch required for all NVMe drives in 10.13? I have a Samsung 960 EVO PCIe NVMe M.2 (MZ-V6E1T0BW) drive. Do I need this patch?
Hi, i have the same hard disk and 10.13.2 it works natively

Hi, i have the same hard disk and 10.13.2 it works natively

That's good to know but I'm quite often getting "Error code -43" when deleting files or emptying the Trash so I was thinking it may be something that needs patching.

@aol have you solved for the Plextor M8PeG issue? I have a 512M being installed on 10.13.2, I still cannot see the drive.
Yes, my M8PeG is supported with patches in both 10.12.x and 10.13.x. In 10.13.x, you no longer need the HackrNVME stuff, but you still (for Plextors and other NVMEs) need a config.plist patch that swaps a byte.

Credit for the following to @RehabMan and Pike R. Alpha. Note that this is how these patches appear in a text editor, not in clover configurator. In CC the data in find and replace will look different. I don't use the external icon patch. I've attached a screenshot of how these two patches look in CC.

Note that 10.13 has a bug that uninitialized drives (NVME or other) don't show up in Disk Utility. You have to open Disk Utility, find and select the View option to "show all devices", close and restart Disk Utility, and the drive should show up. Or initialize the drive on a different system. Of course make sure the BIOS sees the NVME first.

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>IONVMeFamily Preferred Block Size 0x10 -&gt; 0x01 (c) Pike R. Alpha</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
9sEQD4VBAQAA
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IONVMeFamily</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
9sEBD4UcAQAA
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>external Icon</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
SIXAdAeAiyA=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SIXAZpCAiyA=
</data>
</dict>

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 4.36.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 4.36.20 PM.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
Yes, my M8PeG is supported with patches in both 10.12.x and 10.13.x. In 10.13.x, you no longer need the HackrNVME stuff, but you still (for Plextors and other NVMEs) need a config.plist patch that swaps a byte.

Credit for the following to @RehabMan and Pike R. Alpha. Note that this is how these patches appear in a text editor, not in clover configurator. In CC the data in find and replace will look different. I don't use the external icon patch. I've attached a screenshot of how these two patches look in CC.

Note that 10.13 has a bug that uninitialized drives (NVME or other) don't show up in Disk Utility. You have to open Disk Utility, find and select the View option to "show all devices", close and restart Disk Utility, and the drive should show up. Or initialize the drive on a different system. Of course make sure the BIOS sees the NVME first.

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>IONVMeFamily Preferred Block Size 0x10 -&gt; 0x01 (c) Pike R. Alpha</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
9sEQD4VBAQAA
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
9sEBD4UcAQAA
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>external Icon</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
SIXAdAeAiyA=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SIXAZpCAiyA=
</data>
</dict>
@aol thx, following your advice, I can get my Plextor M2 SSD up and running. Moreover, I can also use it to boot up my High Sierra without problem.

However, I have one minor issue, in the Clover boot up screen, the M2 icons are missing. Do you have any clue on it?

Thanks,
IMG_8737.JPG

@aol thx, following your advice, I can get my Plextor M2 SSD up and running. Moreover, I can also use it to boot up my High Sierra without problem.

However, I have one minor issue, in the Clover boot up screen, the M2 icons are missing. Do you have any clue on it?

Thanks,
View attachment 304980
I understand, but I have no idea. Are you using the "external icons" patch? I don't know exactly what that does, if it solves clover boot screen issues, macOS desktop issues, or what. You might try turning it on if it's off, or off if it's on. You might also try a different theme, maybe it's a theme thing (change the theme setting in config.plist). Finally, you could check the boot.log, using clover configurator after you boot up, to see if there is a message in the boot log about "unable to find icon for M2" or something like that. It's possible that if you provide a png with the right name in the theme folder for the theme you're using it would fix the icon. Those are all pure guesses tho.

For what it's worth I don't believe I'm using the external icon patch, and I'm using the default (tonymac?) theme, and I see an icon for my NVME.

Hi,
What patches are you using in Sierra (10.12.6)?

Hi,
What patches are you using in Sierra (10.12.6)?
Boy it's been a while. The details are in @RehabMan's repository here:
https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme/
and in the full instructions thread here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

simply and without much detail:
- you need to build a SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml file (using a template file, modify the template file for your actual NVME by determining path information in Windows, and compile it using MacIASL) and put it in CLOVER/EFI/ACPI/patched
- you need to create a HackrNVMEFamily.kext file using the patch-nvme repo above and put it in CLOVER/EFI/kexts/other
- you need to add a config.plist patch using Clover Configurator or another tool to rename _DSM to XDSM
and finally if you're on some NVMEs such as my Plextor, you need a config.plist patch that swaps a byte, but I can't dredge that up at the moment. it's a different patch between 10.12.* and 10.13.*. Let me know if you need it, I have it at home.

RehabMan's HackrNVMEFamily.kext + config.plist patch did not help to run it.

HackrNVMeFamily is only for 10.11.x and 10.12.x.
10.13.x does not require the 512 byte LBA patches.

Preferred block size patches required for certain Hynix/Lite-on/Plextor drives as per patch-nvme README.
Refer to config_patches.plist.

HackrNVMeFamily is only for 10.11.x and 10.12.x.
10.13.x does not require the 512 byte LBA patches.

Yes, I know, I was writing about running Plextor on 10.12.x. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back