Contribute
Register

Does Intel's New X79 Support Lion? [SOCKET 2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If intel new X79 support lion?

update

All the success in this thread inspired me to have another go :)

Problem 1 = gfx drivers not working ? (can get desktop only at 1024)

Problem 2 = sound not working [FIXED] Swapped from Logitech external speakers via 3.5mm plug to USB plantronic headphones, now sound works...

I formatted and started over.

Went through xmove,rboot, got lion 10.7.3 installed

Now I have followed kurtface's guide:

Multibeast 4.2.1
No EasyBeast install
No UserDSDT Install

Non-DSDT HDAEnabler = ALC892
Universal = VoodooHDA 0.2.1

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
FakeSMC + Plugins
NullCPUPowerManagement
hnak's AppleIntelE1000e
Bootloader
Software
System utilities
mac pro 5.1

Rebooted

Installed graphics enabler

http://www.osx86.net/view/2074-gtx_5xx_enabler.html
as per abdallah1993

It still boots to desktop so I am happy so far, but monitor only lets me run 1024x768.

I have downloaded
http://www.osx86.net/view/2338-gtx580_lion_10.7.3.html

When I extract it I get 3 files

GeForceGLDriver.bundle
applegraphicspowermanagement.kext
nvdagf100hal.kext

My question is, what do I do with these files?
Update: I found kextbeast, installed the two files and then pasted the .bundle into S/L/E

About this mac shows "graphics display 3MB"

abdallah1993 said:
it seems that Gtx 5xx enabler has a common issue with gtx 580\90. Try this link http://www.osx86.net/view/2338-gtx580_lion_10.7.3.html it could solve your issue but use the same instructions i had mention in Multibeast.

GOOD LUCK

Edit:

Installed CUDA 4.1.29

Sound = sound comes out, but it is all buzzing and weird. I'll look into that and report back. Ok, I'm back. I tried this, but it didn't work:

For everyone who looking for ALC898 driver on mac lion 10.7.X
You can use the attachment file to fix the sound.
Instructions:-

1) Run VoodooLoader_Installer
2) Run VoodooPatcher then drug & drop VoodooHDA 2.7.3.kext on it.
3) Reboot and enjoy

Attachments:
File comment: ALC898 Driver for Mac 10.7.X
ALC898.zip [1.21 MiB]
Downloaded 68 times

Swapped from Logitech external speakers via 3.5mm plug to USB plantronic headphones, now sound works...

UPDATE - Trying a graphics solution from this thread
How to get a GTX 580 (or 5xx card) to work in LION
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28975&start=40

archelon said:
marbleduck said:
I have a... noob questino to ask of you all.

What does he mean when he says to "navigate to your com.apple.boot.plist file." WHere is this? He says to open up the main Lion installed driver, but I have no idea what this is....

THanks.
This file is in the "Extra" folder on your OS X boot volume. However, if you're using the Chameleon bootloader, you'll be looking at a file named "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" instead.

I am also having trouble locating this file

My extra folder was empty,

I can find an com.apple.Boot.plist in library>preferences>systemconfiguration

It's contents read like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

I think I have the chameleon boot loader installed, but it's not in that extra folder either.
It is in the gtx 5xx enabler 10.7.3 >gtx55ti>extra folder that I extracted to my desktop

My question is, do I just create my own com.apple.boot.plist and copy paste the text from the guide and then put this file in the extra folder?

EDIT:
I'll have another go later. Semi-solved for now and learnt heaps from chatroom :)

can anyone successfully overclocking their x79 give some pointers?

Asus x79 pro, 3930, 32 GB 1866 RAM, quadro 4k, 850w XFX..
mac os 10.6.8 nvidia 256 drivers, Cuda installed..
first time with this sort of CPU, so no prior experience.

in PC boot mode, i've used the Turbo EVO utility included with ASUS utility and it shows stable @ 4.6, this is full auto mode so i know my system can handle it.. but unfortunately the settings are not saved to BIOS...

right now i'm stuck @ 3.3, don't need to push limits just would love to have a stable OC @ 4.3-4.5 running OS x ..

if anyone has my MB / Cpu that could give me some basic settings or a walkthrough i could play with i would really appreciate it. thank you!

I have a ASUS P9X79 DELUXE. How do you install bluetooth and wifi drivers?

UPDATE: I was able to get WIFI working but not bluetooth. Any ideas on how to get bluetooth working?

To get WIFI working install this KEXT: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2471

To install use KextBeast

Hawleywood said:
amorph said:
Hi, I just bought an ASUS P9X79 DELUXE with Core i7 3930K. Do you guys think its possible to install OSX on that machine? Any hints how to start?
I tried Unibeast but it doesnt even boot into the Lion-Installer ...

Thanks !!!

I have the Rampage IV Extreme and 3930k.

Ensure all the settings are correct, most important is to ensure the hard drives are AHCI as opposed to IDE or RAID. I disabled all on-board features, to start - minus the SATA controller.

I also changed 'Legacy ROM' to EFI Compatible, something i overlooked early.

I then used rBoot (find in downloads) as my boot loader. Then, booted the Lion installer from the USB drive I'd made with UniBeast. I had to use the boot flag: dsdt=no

After the osx installer rebooted my PC, I booted from rBoot disc, again using flag: "dsdt=no" however this time I noticed a new HFS partition titled just as I'd labeled my new partition from the OSX installer. I then booted to it.

That had me installed minus audio, bluetooth and networking. I can see all 32gb of ram and my 1gb 5870 is supported. I've just installed wifi drivers and now i'm on to find some ACL898 audio drivers for this new toy. Finding wifi or ethernet drivers should be priority one! More fun to surf the forums from the hackintosh in mention :)

So far it only likes 3800mhz as the 'stock turbo - rather, it only displays 3.2ghz in About This Mac (same as Windows CPU info) however on the ROG Connect device I see 3800mhz. Overclocking the conventional 100*40 multiplier seems to yield the same 3800mhz in ROG Connect, although GeekBench shows higher scores the higher the multiplier (despite stock turbo appearing being fixed at 3800 in ROG Connect). Likewise with 100*42, Lion displays 3.2ghz (, and ROG Connect displays 3800. I read a post last night in here that explained how someone properly adjusted the per-core ratio and modified voltage for proper power management. Im just happy it boots and runs so FAST!

Everything is pretty much supported 'OOB' as it were. After the install I used MultiBeast to install EasyDSDT which sets up default dsdt settings right on the OSX install drive, which then allows you to boot without the rBoot disc.

I am very surprised at how easy it truly was to install and get going. It took me much longer just to get my head around. I found many 'dead ends' in the forums and being one of the new guys on a X79 chipset - you won't find any out of box solutions just yet.

Give my little method a whirl - It worked flawlessly for me. I'll post DSDT on this mobo when i have absolute 100% support for my hardware setup.

kurtface said:
Lion 10.7.3 Asus X79 Pro, i7 3930K, 32GB G-Skill F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH, Asus GTX 580

Gtx 580 Dual Monitor setup, Sound and Bluetooth all working like a dream.

Gtx 580 kext from osx86

Multibeast 4.2.1
No EasyBeast install
No UserDSDT Install

ALC8xxHDA
AppleHDA Rollback
Non-DSDT HDAEnabler = ALC892
Universal = VoodooHDA 0.2.1

FakeSMC + Plugins
NullCPUPowerManagement
hnak's AppleIntelE1000e

Chimera v1.7.0 did not work.
Chimera v1.5.4 from the Multibeast 3.9.0 for Snow Leopard works fine.

This was a fresh install onto a new SSD.

Hope this Helps.

Hi, i have similar setup like you Lion 10.7.3 Asus X79 Pro, i7 3930K, XFX Radeon HD 6870,
chimera 1.8 not working from multibeast 4.3, can you get me chimera v1.5.4 from the multibeast 3.9.0 ?

i did not use hnak's AppleintelE1000e it makes Asus x79 pro network slower..
thanks in advance

I'm getting a new system with Asus P9X79 Deluxe, i7 3930K in two weeks and probably the GTX680 when it arrives (hopefully soon). Looking through this thread I'm fairly certain I can get Os X Lion up and runnig on it which is great! It's going to be a real upgrade from my Intel Core2Duo and GTS8800 running Snow Leopard :)

Nice that most of you got Lion working with X79!

i did not use hnak's AppleintelE1000e it makes Asus x79 pro network slower..
thanks in advance

Hi there,

I'm just in the process of getting my components together and was wondering in what way this apple driver makes the network slower?

stuff I'll be getting:
Asus P9X79
Intel CPU Core i7 3820
Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP
Noctua NH-D14-2011

And I still have an Nvidia GTX470

Also, did you get the esata working?

Cheers,

Joe

hnak's Appleintel E1000e is only slow if you leave it on auto. Goto "system preferences/network/advanced/hardware" turn configuration to manually, speed to 1000baseT, duplex to full-duplex and leave mtu as it is. Then you will have full performance.

For all those using Nvidia cards you can download that latest Nvidia Quadro Drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f01-driver.html they work with all GTX cards as well. And you will need the latest Cuda driver version.

Bluetooth only works after its been activated in windows. This means it only works in osx when you first boot to windows and then to OSX. And I mean every time you want it to work not just once. Its just better to get a Bluetooth USB dongle that works. They are cheap.

Overclocking these systems all depends on cooling. Auto overclocking works fine and stable but if you want to go further then that you will have to google it and find others who have it running stable on manuell overclock. I had my liquid cooled system running stable at 4.9GHz. I had to tweak a few things in my bios to have it running stable. But as speedsteping and turboboost on this board dont work under OSX I have a fixed clock multiplier which i've left at 4.3 GHz. I just wouldn't dare go far on a air cooled system.

All new bootloaders do work. Once it has been installed make sure that all the contents of the extra folder on your HDD are the same as the contents of the extra folder on your working boot CD or usb Boot device (you might need "show all files" on to see the extra folder). If not just copy them to your HDD extra folder. I had to remove the "PCIRootUID=1" string from "org.chameleon.boot.plist". You should then be able to boot from your HDD.

Multibeast 4.2.1
easybeast install
system Utilities
ALC8xxHDA
ALC892
VoodooHDA 0.2.1
Nullcpupowermanagement
Hnaks appleintelE1000
Bootloaders
Mac Pro 5.1
OSx86 software

This works for me.
Hope I've helped!

death-hawk said:
Anyone check out the specs on the new MSI X79 Big Bang XPower II, set to be released later this month!

It appears to get close to the original specs set out for boards with the x79 chipset. They seem to have copied the styling of the Gigabyte Killer series, but if it works, it will be a killer board! :headbang:

I wonder if someone can get it to work with Lion?

Now it's out, any news on lion support?

amorph said:
Is Sleep working for anyone?

Can someone answer this?

My hackintosh is working except for SLEEP, RESTARTING, and SHUTTING DOWN. It's getting annoying since this is an energy killer.

Specs:

asus pro p9x79
GTX 560 Asus
Latest LION OSX retail

For sound I'm using audio equipment (external pre amp) so it doesn't matter to me.

Really need these three quirks fixed, thanks!

kurtface said:
hnak's Appleintel E1000e is only slow if you leave it on auto. Goto "system preferences/network/advanced/hardware" turn configuration to manually, speed to 1000baseT, duplex to full-duplex and leave mtu as it is. Then you will have full performance.

For all those using Nvidia cards you can download that latest Nvidia Quadro Drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f01-driver.html they work with all GTX cards as well. And you will need the latest Cuda driver version.

Bluetooth only works after its been activated in windows. This means it only works in osx when you first boot to windows and then to OSX. And I mean every time you want it to work not just once. Its just better to get a Bluetooth USB dongle that works. They are cheap.

Overclocking these systems all depends on cooling. Auto overclocking works fine and stable but if you want to go further then that you will have to google it and find others who have it running stable on manuell overclock. I had my liquid cooled system running stable at 4.9GHz. I had to tweak a few things in my bios to have it running stable. But as speedsteping and turboboost on this board dont work under OSX I have a fixed clock multiplier which i've left at 4.3 GHz. I just wouldn't dare go far on a air cooled system.

All new bootloaders do work. Once it has been installed make sure that all the contents of the extra folder on your HDD are the same as the contents of the extra folder on your working boot CD or usb Boot device (you might need "show all files" on to see the extra folder). If not just copy them to your HDD extra folder. I had to remove the "PCIRootUID=1" string from "org.chameleon.boot.plist". You should then be able to boot from your HDD.

Multibeast 4.2.1
easybeast install
system Utilities
ALC8xxHDA
ALC892
VoodooHDA 0.2.1
Nullcpupowermanagement
Hnaks appleintelE1000
Bootloaders
Mac Pro 5.1
OSx86 software

This works for me.
Hope I've helped!

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I get on once I got all the components..order in the next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back