Contribute
Register

Does Apple's Thunderbolt Display work with hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I already own a thunderbolt display, so when looking for a motherboard, I chose one that has a thunderbolt port. But will a hackintosh with thunderbolt work with a thunderbolt display? I went looking around google, but I didn't find many straight-forward answers.

I already own a thunderbolt display, so when looking for a motherboard, I chose one that has a thunderbolt port. But will a hackintosh with thunderbolt work with a thunderbolt display? I went looking around google, but I didn't find many straight-forward answers.

Dont take whatever I say for granted, but according to me, it should work. Its only a port after all, there is nothing special in the display that would prevent it from working with even a Windows PC with a thunderbolt, so a hackintosh should be able to use it, as long as the thunderbolt port is functional.

I'm interested in the answer as well. There doesn't seem to be a clear guide on whether Thunderbolt Display works with UP4/UP5-TH.

@uclydde I was just wondering if you ever tried with that Thunderbolt display. I am interested in getting one, but am not sure if it will work.

I have an older MOBO and I have even considered looking for something like this... will it work? http://www.miniinthebox.com/thunder...rds_shopping&gclid=CJXjiuOojboCFa9fQgodrkMAsQ

Basically I have a solid hackintosh GA-EX58-UD5 i7 (old school) with 2 DVI ports (NVIDA 9800 GT), but I could get a new graphics card or whatever to make it work if possible. I'd love for the internal speakers and one of the iSight cameras to work, but I can't tell if multibeast even has anything to make this work... of if it does, will it only be a good choice for a motherboard where the CPU can handle all of the Graphics? So would that mean a new MOBO, and CPU, but no need for a graphics card in this scenario?

If anyone has done this successfully, it would be awesome to hear what it requires from both a hardware and multibeast perspective.

Will this work with DP as well ?

GFX cards do NOT have thunderbolt ports so no TB display will work on them. Your mobo must have a real TB port or a special TB addon card made for your mobo to use a TB ACD display.

A motherboard that uses a Thunderbolt Add In Card (AIC) will work with DP graphic cards. I use a Thunderbolt display with an AMD 7970. All you have to do is connect the DP output from the graphics card to the DP input on the Thunderbolt AIC. Connect the Thunderbolt output from the AIC to the Thunderbolt monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back