Contribute
Register

Does a Lenovo W510 make a good Hackintosh, after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was originally trying legacy mode (with mavericks) but am going to try clover.
So in BIOS are you set to UEFI only? I just noticed this is an ElCapitan thread, are you running EC?
Yes, and yes.

USB3 ports work in ElCapitan?
Sorta kinda maybe inconsistently. I have GenericUSBXHCI.kext installed and some DSDT edits, and they do work, but they don't always work the first time a device is installed. Second time, though, just fine.

Sorta kinda maybe inconsistently. I have GenericUSBXHCI.kext installed and some DSDT edits, and they do work, but they don't always work the first time a device is installed. Second time, though, just fine.
Hmmm, interesting. That is what has kept me from trying EC and Sierra, I thought those ports were a no go.

Still trying to get the Clover installer to boot with graphics. Haven't found the right combo yet.

Hmmm, interesting. That is what has kept me from trying EC and Sierra, I thought those ports were a no go.

Still trying to get the Clover installer to boot with graphics. Haven't found the right combo yet.

Try the attached; it's the clover config from my W520. I had a slightly different one for the installer, but the install drive is at home and I'm at work.

Attachments

• CLOVER-Viqsi_W520.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
...actually, while I'm at it, here's a zipfile of most of the kexts I have installed in /Library/Extensions (not all, as some of them come from installed software packages).

Attachments

• InstalledKexts.zip
    380.1 KB · Views: 119
Thanks!
I will give these a shot.
Not sure why this laptop is giving me such a fit, I have had to fix my W510 many many times so I think I know what I'm doing.

Another question, you are running a patched bios?
Where did you get it?

I am starting to wonder if the one I located has issues...

Thanks!
I will give these a shot.
Not sure why this laptop is giving me such a fit, I have had to fix my W510 many many times so I think I know what I'm doing.

Another question, you are running a patched bios?
Where did you get it?

I am starting to wonder if the one I located has issues...
Don't recall where, but I still have the file.

Attachments

• Lenovo ThinkPad W520_1.42-(8BET62WW)-8buj21us__WL-2.rar
    7.9 MB · Views: 100
Will try that file as well.

Thank You again!!!

Not having any luck whatsoever getting the installer to boot with Clover. I created a bootable USB following the guide and just cannot get to the installer.

I flashed BIOS back to the default (non-whitelisted, removed my WIFI card), no luck there.
Flashed the bios Viqsi provided (appeared to be the same as I had initially) and still no-go.

I went back and tried Mavericks (legacy install with Chimera) and it boots, installs but I cannot get the resulting installed HD to boot without the help of the USB.
Never had a machine give me this much trouble, especially when it is know to work... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back