Contribute
Register

Does a Lenovo W510 make a good Hackintosh, after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Thinkpad W530
CPU
Core i7-3840QM
Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
In a private message, a user named sneitzel, asked me how I got OS X 100% running on a Thinkpad W510. It turned out I could not answer in a private message, as I don't have enough posts here, so I will respond here, intending to address more general audience.

The shortest answer is no. It's not a good hackintoshing target. It may be cheap now, it has superb build quality, but it makes a rather poor Hackintosh. The daily driver on that machine is Fedora 23 which picks all hardware out of the box and is a perfect match for my use cases (as far as cross platform software development goes).

I had to revive OS X on my W510 unit, as I intend to do some low-level development on it, and I can reconfirm it's not that good.

• You need a spare machine just to patch the DSDT initially. iasl shows you errors and warnings which you must fix —all of them — before you get your machine to even start. Then you patch it more to get battery status.
  • You don't have native UEFI. This means you need to go through the hassles of converting partitions, or losing the ability to install recovery partition, or keep your Clover bootloader on external media (which I ultimately did).
  • You get no USB3. Not only that, but the USB3 ports are dead, they won't work even as USB2.
  • You get no graphics power management. Maybe it's possible, but the path is fairly complicated. Unless you have gobs of spare time, it's not worth the hassle IMO.
  • I happen to own a X220 with an i5 processor. Twice as fewer cores (2 vs 4), twice as less memory (16 vs 32 GiB), and an i5 CPU vs i7 on W510. And you know what, their performance is almost identical —*except that I get less heat and noise from my X220.

For my particular use case, as a test machine, I don't care very much about these aspects, I use it as a stationary unit, though I worry a bit about AGPM —*the machine grows hot over time as it cannot drop GPU frequency.

By all means, if you want a super powerful Thinkpad running OS X, by all means get a W520. These machines sport the same build quality, you can max out RAM at 32 GiB, you can choose to run off an NVidia card or the integrated HD3000 which is 100% supported (just not Optimus, and you have to reboot+Setup), you can have a modded BIOS with unlocked memory speed, MSR 0xE2 (yay! No kernel panics, and CPU PM working natively!), advanced Setup tabs and no WLAN whitelist. It would work for you, and if you invest once in a dual SSD setup and make a RAID0 array (I'm running this setup on my real MacBook Pro), as well as max out RAM, you'll get a powerful work machine for quite a bit of foreseeable future.

The prices for used W520 on eBay are now getting to the "moderate" point, and many companies sell post-leasing units. Go get one while there's a lot of them and you can get spare parts.

Last edited:
In a private message, a user named sneitzel, asked me how I got OS X 100% running on a Thinkpad W510. It turned out I could not answer in a private message, as I don't have enough posts here, so I will respond here, intending to address more general audience.

The shortest answer is no. It's not a good hackintoshing target. It may be cheap now, it has superb build quality, but it makes a rather poor Hackintosh. The daily driver on that machine is Fedora 23 which picks all hardware out of the box and is a perfect match for my use cases (as far as cross platform software development goes).

I had to revive OS X on my W510 unit, as I intend to do some low-level development on it, and I can reconfirm it's not that good.

• You need a spare machine just to patch the DSDT initially. iasl shows you errors and warnings which you must fix —all of them — before you get your machine to even start. Then you patch it more to get battery status.
  • You don't have native UEFI. This means you need to go through the hassles of converting partitions, or losing the ability to install recovery partition, or keep your Clover bootloader on external media (which I ultimately did).
  • You get no USB3. Not only that, but the USB3 ports are dead, they won't work even as USB2.
  • You get no graphics power management. Maybe it's possible, but the path is fairly complicated. Unless you have gobs of spare time, it's not worth the hassle IMO.
  • I happen to own a X220 with an i5 processor. Twice as fewer cores (2 vs 4), twice as less memory (16 vs 32 GiB), and an i5 CPU vs i7 on W510. And you know what, their performance is almost identical —*except that I get less heat and noise from my X220.

For my particular use case, as a test machine, I don't care very much about these aspects, I use it as a stationary unit, though I worry a bit about AGPM —*the machine grows hot over time as it cannot drop GPU frequency.

By all means, if you want a super powerful Thinkpad running OS X, by all means get a W520. These machines sport the same build quality, you can max out RAM at 32 GiB, you can choose to run off an NVidia card or the integrated HD3000 which is 100% supported (just not Optimus, and you have to reboot+Setup), you can have a modded BIOS with unlocked memory speed, MSR 0xE2 (yay! No kernel panics, and CPU PM working natively!), advanced Setup tabs and no WLAN whitelist. It would work for you, and if you invest once in a dual SSD setup and make a RAID0 array (I'm running this setup on my real MacBook Pro), as well as max out RAM, you'll get a powerful work machine for quite a bit of foreseeable future.

The prices for used W520 on eBay are now getting to the "moderate" point, and many companies sell post-leasing units. Go get one while there's a lot of them and you can get spare parts.

I have a W520 (i7-2720QM,Nvidia Quadro 1000M,22GBRAM) and just finished installing Snow leopard still no Sound, Wireless, and only one resolution (1024x768), I was able to extract DDST, SSDT, using AIDA 64, so The main goal is to have El Capitan installed, and use it as a web development laptop
and so I have some questions:

• Why do I need to patch the DDST?
  • I grabbed the first SSDT from aida 64 is that ok?, I don't know what is the purpose of this file if I already have the DDST?
  • Is this w520 still good for a Hackintosh, I mean I use Ubuntu on a daily bases for work, so this is not a toy, and not planning to install OSX just to look at it, I'm planning to make hard use of it, is it worth all the "pain" of installing and doing all this process??
  • I hope I don't make anyone unconfortable with this type of question this is my 2 week research about this I know i have a lot to learn yet but a little bit of advice would be well appreciated.
any up to date guides or tutorials for this machine are very welcome
Thanks

I have a W520 (i7-2720QM,Nvidia Quadro 1000M,22GBRAM) and just finished installing Snow leopard still no Sound, Wireless, and only one resolution (1024x768), I was able to extract DDST, SSDT, using AIDA 64, so The main goal is to have El Capitan installed, and use it as a web development laptop
and so I have some questions:

• Why do I need to patch the DDST?
  • I grabbed the first SSDT from aida 64 is that ok?, I don't know what is the purpose of this file if I already have the DDST?
  • Is this w520 still good for a Hackintosh, I mean I use Ubuntu on a daily bases for work, so this is not a toy, and not planning to install OSX just to look at it, I'm planning to make hard use of it, is it worth all the "pain" of installing and doing all this process??
  • I hope I don't make anyone unconfortable with this type of question this is my 2 week research about this I know i have a lot to learn yet but a little bit of advice would be well appreciated.
any up to date guides or tutorials for this machine are very welcome
Thanks

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

I've managed to re-install El Capitan now I have my nvidia quadro 1000M working, still no brightness USB3, or battery meter not working correctly, also the sleep feature gets stuck
Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 7.24.47 PM.png

I always start with the USB stick, last time I try to use glover to make it boot by it self but it didn't work correctly, and ended reinstalling it twice so I don't want to mess things up AGAIN, so
  1. How do I copy the actual configuration and tell glover to use it as it is, and in the case something goes wrong, how do I roll back to the previous state, instead of doing a whole installation again.
  2. I have MaciASL, can I get a good DSDT from it, and grab my current hardware configuration or do I have to get it from ubuntu again?

Regards

I've managed to re-install El Capitan now I have my nvidia quadro 1000M working, still no brightness USB3, or battery meter not working correctly, also the sleep feature gets stuck
View attachment 178732

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

[*]How do I copy the actual configuration and tell glover to use it as it is, and in the case something goes wrong, how do I roll back to the previous state, instead of doing a whole installation again.

Not possible as Clover has no such feature. Always keep a USB that can boot your system in case you make a mistake with your HDD EFI/CLOVER configuration.

[*]I have MaciASL, can I get a good DSDT from it, and grab my current hardware configuration or do I have to get it from ubuntu again?

You can extract native ACPI with Clover.

Read guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

Just now coming back to the hackintosh fold, thanks jafd for the response. I stuck with Mavericks on my W510 and it still functions very well for me. Interested to see your comments on the W520. I am looking to move up to a machine that will support the latest MacOS, do you think the W520 is still a good choice?

Just now coming back to the hackintosh fold, thanks jafd for the response. I stuck with Mavericks on my W510 and it still functions very well for me. Interested to see your comments on the W520. I am looking to move up to a machine that will support the latest MacOS, do you think the W520 is still a good choice?
I've been on a W520 for several years now (indeed, it's the machine I'm typing this reply on) and have gotten it to the point where it's really quite remarkably stable running 10.11.6 (haven't tried Sierra yet). The battery life is rather low because I turn off integrated graphics and go NVidia-only, but it works fine for my purposes.

Admittedly, I'm looking at moving on after three and a half years or so because I'm starting to get hardware failures that I can't easily solve (a tendency to unexpectedly power off that is a known issue with the model no matter what the OS), but aside from that it still serves me quite well and if I could solve those issues I'd stick with it even longer. (If I can't get my new P50 to work, I may end up sticking with the W520 regardless... ;) ).

Hope this helps!

I have a question Viqsi,
I picked up an inexpensive W520 to play with.
The W510 I have belongs to work, so the W520 will be mine to keep.
I cannot for the life of me get the W520 to boot from the HD after Mavericks install.
It will boot from USB, and I can use the USB installer as a helper drive to boot the HD but cannot get it to boot from the HD directly.
I am assuming I have a BIOS setting incorrect somewhere.
How do you have BIOS set up?
Legacy only? UFEI?
I am running a modified/whitelisted BIOS.

I would appreciate any assistance or pointers you could provide.

Thanks

I have a question Viqsi,
I picked up an inexpensive W520 to play with.
The W510 I have belongs to work, so the W520 will be mine to keep.
I cannot for the life of me get the W520 to boot from the HD after Mavericks install.
It will boot from USB, and I can use the USB installer as a helper drive to boot the HD but cannot get it to boot from the HD directly.
I am assuming I have a BIOS setting incorrect somewhere.
How do you have BIOS set up?
Legacy only? UFEI?
I am running a modified/whitelisted BIOS.

I would appreciate any assistance or pointers you could provide.

Thanks

I've been using UEFI boot; it's been straightforward and reliable. If you can boot from the USB installer, tho, then that's probably covered.

Is Clover actually installed on the HD?

I've been using UEFI boot; it's been straightforward and reliable. If you can boot from the USB installer, tho, then that's probably covered.

Is Clover actually installed on the HD?
I was originally trying legacy mode (with mavericks) but am going to try clover.
So in BIOS are you set to UEFI only? I just noticed this is an ElCapitan thread, are you running EC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back