Contribute
Register

DoctorEvil 30564's Powermac G4 Graphite Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I should chime in more often, too.
I love any mod! I even keep thinking about getting a cube, but wouldn't have much need for it since I'm building my G5 Power Mac.

Keep the pictures coming. Can't wait to see the polished finished product. :)

I love the G4 cube mods.

I'm interested in seeing someone do a Mac Mini mod. I have a complete case for a 2006 vintage Intel Mac Mini that I wound up with after buying several parts machines to fix and get one complete system running.

I love the G4 cube mods.

I'm interested in seeing someone do a Mac Mini mod. I have a complete case for a 2006 vintage Intel Mac Mini that I wound up with after buying several parts machines to fix and get one complete system running.
That's the Mini that I upgrade from. The case just feels too small, though, for an aftermarket MB.

Yes, I love the mods too. I have a dead G4 MDD that I want to mod eventually so your posts are very relevant. Keep the pictures coming!!

I just scored another Powermac G5 a few minutes ago. this one is a older vintage than the last one that got busted during shipping. according to the auction info it was a single cpu G5 1.6, missing only the hard drive and memory. since I'm not going to be in a tearing hurry to do my mod I may install some ram and a hard drive and see if it can be revived with a copy of 10.5 for some nostalgia. :) I have begged the seller to please package it well for shipping. looking at his other auctions it looks like he's had good success with shipping these in the past. apparently he must have bought a pallet of as-is machines from a local university that he's been selling. this is his last one.

My eyes are feeling better today, still dealing with some blurring but I am now able to drive, both during the day and at night. I've got some more mod work planned on this G4 so stay tuned for more updates.

Very Very nice build I highly suggest putting the fan bracket and fan back in place. There are some very quiet fans out there that work well. Check out my "Sawtooth" build on here if you were looking for any other things to your build. Getting the air exhausted out of the case will get your temps down considerably, probably in the neighborhood of 10-15 degrees. I've also been looking for a good low profile cooler but those are harder to find that work well.

Very Very nice build I highly suggest putting the fan bracket and fan back in place. There are some very quiet fans out there that work well. Check out my "Sawtooth" build on here if you were looking for any other things to your build. Getting the air exhausted out of the case will get your temps down considerably, probably in the neighborhood of 10-15 degrees. I've also been looking for a good low profile cooler but those are harder to find that work well.

I'll definately have to find a very good but quiet fan to go in the bracket. I do really like how quiet this system is currently, bu I do want to reduce the overall temperatures inside the case.

a small update, I feel a little stupid, apparently due to my eye surgery I couldn't tell but I did have a working Power LED, but I had wired up my connector block backwards so I had it connected wrong to the motherboard and it wouldn't light up. I'm still having issues with Blurry text due to a ghostly afterimage that is showing up underneath text when I try to read it, but it's doing better than it was, but still not healing as fast as I would like for it to.

I couldn't figure out how to turn off the flash in this picture but if you look closely you will notice that the Power LED is lighting up.

2012-08-07%2022.18.42.jpg

So I guess I have a spare pre-wired white LED, and the loose ones that I bought to try my hand at soldering with for a future project. I'm still planning out how I want to do the Hard drive LED, I've seen others on the forum who wired it behind the White transparent Apple on the front of the case and think that's a good idea, but I also like the other mods I have seen where the programmer button next to the reset button is removed and the LED is glued there. I just have to figure out which one looks more aesthetically correct

Spare parts for future projects always gives an incentive to do another project. ;)

Spare parts for future projects always gives an incentive to do another project. ;)

Hopefully they'll be useful for my powermac G5 mod when I get around to starting on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back