Contribute
Register

Do you own a real Mac?

Do You Own a Real Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an eMac and a G3 iBook, which if the power cord had not shorted out we would be still using. They are expensive or I'd just buy a new one for it!

MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.0GHz. sooo shouldve waited for the Core 2 Duo, but i was a dumb noobie. still going strong build wise, but the GPU overheats and had 2 batt and mobo replacements. shouldve been replaced by the store but no Apple Retails here.

my hack component wise is verrry stable, almost as stable at the software level too. apparently hardware failures are usually within the first month, like my MBP, got these parts in December so should be all good hopefully.

My first comp was a mac. Late 2001 iBook... Was just going over the "specs" :rolleyes:
Then I bought a PBG4 15" (FW800). The battery is basically dead. One of the RAMs doesn't show up in sys prof because of the faulty lower memory slot... :think: oh, right, once in a while charger requires me to unplug it and plug it back in or it won't provide its "services" :lol:
And did I mention that I had to change the old HD AND the optical drive (damn Pioneer likes to "fall asleep". And of course I keep a fresh HD around just in case... :problem:
I wouldn't change it for the world... ok... maybe for a nice new MBP!

And of course there is an iPhone 3GS...

Now I am looking forward to building this hackintosh and .... :shh:

Yep a few of them.

MacPro 2009 Nahalen 2XquadCore 2.26 - With recent fix no longer a fan heater.
iMac 24ins 2008
MacMini Server 2009
MacPro 2009
iPhone 3GS
AppleTV
2TB Time Capsule
1 Airport Extreme
2 Airport Xpress

Plus hackintosh set up due the excessive power used by the MacPro
Having spent so much with Apple over the years I have no conscience issues with the EULA as my Mack system was always originally loaded on a real Mac.

Family also incudes Linux Servers Synology DS509 + DX5 and two PCs

I've owned several Apples.

My first being an Apple IIe my dad bought me when I was a kid. =) It used floppy disks (no hard drive) and I had a green monitor but I loved it. I even did some programming on it, haha...not bad for an 8 year-old ( coded my own games in BASIC, and learned some C and even tried a little assembly, but that didn't get far). I had a modem and ran my own BBS (bulletin board system, like a mini-internet). Weird thing for a grade schooler to do, but it was fun!

I remember saving up my allowance & chore funds for a year to buy a $600 10 megabyte hard drive, yes megabytes not gigabytes. 10 megabytes was huge amount of space at the time, and I wanted it to store more files and stuff for my BBS users. My friends eventually talked me out of it as they wanted to start a garageband so I used the funds instead to buy a drum kit. Much better decision as it got me out of the house, and drastically improved my social-life for a pre-teen.

I later owned various Mac's like PowerMac in the 90's. That cost around $6000, about $2000 for the Sony Trinitron 20-inch monitor and $4000+ for the PowerMac itself. Man, computers were expensive back then. I bought my first PC, one the first available Pentium models, a Pentium 66 for around $4000 from Gateway (or was it Micron).

Fast forward to now, I've got a MacBook Pro 15" early 2007 model.

flyingturtle said:
I've owned several Apples.

My first being an Apple IIe my dad bought me when I was a kid. =) It used floppy disks (no hard drive) and I had a green monitor but I loved it. I even did some programming on it, haha...not bad for an 8 year-old ( coded my own games in BASIC, and learned some C and even tried a little assembly, but that didn't get far). I had a modem and ran my own BBS (bulletin board system, like a mini-internet). Weird thing for a grade schooler to do, but it was fun!

Dude- you're an :ugeek:! The greenscreen is where it's at!!

My family growing up had an Apple IIc- I remember programming text adventures w/my Dad in BASIC. Good times... if you remember games like Sammy Lightfoot, Hard Hat Mack, Karateka, Sneakers, Oregon Trail, Lemonade Stand, check out this site- you'll love it.

http://www.virtualapple.org/

adamsmasher said:
Sammy Lightfoot!

I thought no one but myself remembered that game!

sammy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back