Contribute
Register

Do you own a real Mac?

Do You Own a Real Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Macs going back to the original 128k which still adorns my library in an exalted place. I have several not-worth-starting-up Macs like the wedge portable and luxo lamp iMac but I have working:

2006 MacPro Alpha Piked to El Capitan. Works great.
2008 MacBook Pro
2010 MacBook Pro

I would never build a portable Hackintosh because as a portable device I would want it to be totally continuity, etc. functional.

One more thing. This Hackintosh stuff is huge in places like Czechoslovakia, Poland, Russia, etc. I met an outsourcing company based in Czechoslovakia who have 100 Hackintoshes. Why? They build cheap boxes cause hardware is expensive. Linux has a lousey desktop experience. MacOS is a real OS and kinda-sorta-not really free, but less grief than torrenting Windows which is against their agreements with their US customers but MacOS is not on that document. The software is all legally purchased because that would break their promise of performance. It was an interesting conversation.

Yeah. I have several real macs. Of course, these are PPC units. Nothing using Intel. I run OS9 on them for classic gaming purposes.

I have Macs going back to the original 128k which still adorns my library in an exalted place. I have several not-worth-starting-up Macs like the wedge portable and luxo lamp iMac but I have working:

2006 MacPro Alpha Piked to El Capitan. Works great.
2008 MacBook Pro
2010 MacBook Pro

I would never build a portable Hackintosh because as a portable device I would want it to be totally continuity, etc. functional.

One more thing. This Hackintosh stuff is huge in places like Czechoslovakia, Poland, Russia, etc. I met an outsourcing company based in Czechoslovakia who have 100 Hackintoshes. Why? They build cheap boxes cause hardware is expensive. Linux has a lousey desktop experience. MacOS is a real OS and kinda-sorta-not really free, but less grief than torrenting Windows which is against their agreements with their US customers but MacOS is not on that document. The software is all legally purchased because that would break their promise of performance. It was an interesting conversation.
Wait.. How exactly did you convince ElCap to run on a 2006 Pro unit?

Wait.. How exactly did you convince ElCap to run on a 2006 Pro unit?
It's pretty easy if you have 1) Downloaded the Piker-Alpha bootloader. 2) You have the option of creating a USB installer which I found too complex to follow. 3) If you have a Mac running Yosemite or El Cap which has a Firewire port then you can forget about step 2 because my way is super easy. And voila, I have a kickass 2.66 GHz 4 processor box with 10 gig of ram, booting off an SSD and tons of HD space for light to medium work. I do all my photography work and storage on that and do my video editing and Blender work on my wonderful hackintosh. I don't think I'm allowed to help you with your 2006 Pro on this thread but would be happy to help if you can find a home for it. I don't want to get into trouble. Actually, doing the Piker-Alpha hack was my gateway drug to my Hack.

I got a Mac Pro 2006 (2 X Dual Core) that I got from my workplace, Bought 32GB ECC DDR2 667 RAM for it, worked like a Champ with my old GTX 650 Ti Boost SC 2GB, so I decided if I'm going to use this device, might as well make it as powerful as I physically can make it, so I bought 2 X Quad core Xeons, took the whole thing apart, and upgraded it, was it worth the effort, probably not, thing barely run some of my HEAVY quadcore programs with 8 Cores, but It was fun to do.

hi, everyone!
collection of devices i have/had:
- imac 27'' (late2011) - sold
- macbook air 13" (late2012) - using right now
- macbook pro retina 13" (late 2013) - sold
- hackintosh (build mid2016) i5-6600k, ga-z170x-g5, crucial ballistix sport 16gb, samsung 950pro m.2 256gb, samsung 850evo m.2 256gb, nzxt kraken x61, gtx titan x, phanteks enthoo evolv tg, lg 27ud68 UHD, logitech g610, apple mighty mouse. :)

powermac g5, Macpro 1,1, Macpro 4,1 flashed to 5,1. Powerbook g4, Macbook pro retina, Imac 24 inch, 2x iMac 27 inch, and now a Skylake hackintosh! Oh and my daughter had a white macbook and now a unibody 13 inch macbook. Oh and don't get me started on IPods and iPhones! I may have a problem, and I still have 85% of them in my home!

Hi all,

My idevices collection I have:

- MacPro 3.1 (Early 2008)
- Macbook Pro 13" (Early 2015)
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPad Air
- Apple TV Gen 3

As far as I can remember:

- Macintosh LC II
- Quadra 650
- Powermac 7500
- iMac G3
- Powerbook G3 wallstreet (still have this one, with a G4 upgrade..)
- Powermac G4
- Powermac G5
- Mac mini G4
- Macbook 13 inch
- Samsung NC10 netbook hackintosh
- iMac 24 inch
- Macbook Pro 2011 i7

forgetting a few...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back