Contribute
Register

Do you own a real Mac?

Do You Own a Real Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2008 Macbook which nowadays sees the majority of its use on road trips. A few years ago I purchased a refurbished 2012 Mac mini which was recently converted to a home media server. I built my Hackintosh about six months ago, and it runs well enough for day-to-day use; it's nice to have backup if the poop hits the fan.

Just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone here owns a real Mac in addition to their Hackintosh.

I do! Actually quite a few real Macs.
Macintosh Plus 512k
iMac G3 Snow Edition
Powermac G4 Quicksilver
Powerbook G4 1.67 15"
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 13" (SSD + 8GB = Impressively Fast)
Macbook Air 11"

Always thought about buying a real fast Mac, like those 2.5k USD Macbook Pro Retina or even a Traschcan Mac Pro 2013, but, I really like the flexibility of having a Desktop PC. My current system is a triple boot machine: Win10, El Capitan and Lubuntu Linux.

I own a 2008 Macbook which nowadays sees the majority of its use on road trips. A few years ago I purchased a refurbished 2012 Mac mini which was recently converted to a home media server. I built my Hackintosh about six months ago, and it runs well enough for day-to-day use; it's nice to have backup if the poop hits the fan.
Fellow 2008 MacBook (Pro) owner here in essentially the same situation. I also happen to be lucky enough to be borrowing a 2012 Mac mini. However, my Hackintosh journey started in the Lion era and my MacBook also proved very handy while dealing with Windows 10!

lol... you are the funny one bro.

In my case, I owned multiple Mac products before (3 lastest generations of Macbook pro and 1 iMac). However, PC seems to be cheaper and I think more about the money so I switch to PC. And now, I have a dual boot Hackintosh. Pretty please so far.
Who where started hackintoshing is when you sneak on your friends computer (knowing the admin password) and downloading and making a unibeast drive?

Just curios :D

I made my first UniBeast drive is from my friend's iMac 21" He allowed me to use it (I made like 7 drives because i keep messing up them lol)

Late 2008 Macbook. The first one that was aluminum before the 2008 Pro had them. Maxed out ram and put a SSD in it and it still a beast 8 years later. I also have a late 2009 iMac 21.5. A family member had the HDD fail for the 2nd time and video card fail. He took it in to Apple and they wanted 600-800$ to replace video card and HDD. He decided to get a new iMac, so I took it apart upgraded it to an SSD I had lying around and baked the video card in the oven. Voila!! A perfectly working iMac for 0$ I love my Macs. My hackintosh has a dual boot for Windows seven and my son is the only one that logs onto it for gaming. Other than that, I hate working on the Windows partition.

Here is my setup: a MAC wannabe PC. Running a dual boot configuration with Windows on a secondary harddrive. Two curved 21:9 screens and a MacBook 2016 for my portable needs.
Everything is working smoothly, except for a few relatively minor glitches: airplay and iMessage not working, BT sound gets choppy whenever I connect the trackpad via BT: so I have to connect the trackpad using the lightning cable.
Currently I don't plan to pay any further attention to these issues: I hope Apple will release a new Mac Pro soon, and I'm problably going for that option, once available.

IMG_0078.JPG

I have a 1st Generation MacBook Pro (1.83GHz Core Duo w/2GB & 80GB) - which I got for free once security started actively blocking Mac's running 10.6 from the campus network. I should see if it'll boot up still, keep meaning to see if there are any files I'd like to migrate from it.

It was my first work issued Mac, was clearance/old stock from computer store, in Fall of 2006 (I started in July 2006.) Prior to that the only work use of a Mac was to produce reports for a VP that couldn't figure out to use his Mac SE. (somewhere after that I had tried my first hackintosh of a Mac SE/30 on my Amiga 3000. -- I recall being tempted to get one of them authorized Mac clones....though couldn't find anybody that had the Motorola ones....StarMax 4000/200, IIRC... Later I had given serious thought to getting a Performa 6320CD -- which was about when I was faced with ending my relationship with my Amiga 3000....and ended up between jobs. Ended up getting some Wintel box...

Interestingly...I did get to spend time on PowerPC chips... work computer at second job was an IBM RS/6000 Model 250 (80MHz 601) ... I remember the joys of upgrading all of those working machines to 256MB of RAM and the 540MB disk to 2G, which was after we upgraded our central server from a Model 375 to an F50 (a 604e ... yay). Another Model 375 was still in production use then....hosted our CRM (they had finally gotten approval the upgrade it about 6 months after I had been laid off on Xmas Eve 2005. Wanted to know if I'd do a quick contract to migrate them, but was busy moving to next job....which was supposed to be my gateway to finally buying my next Mac (though my faculty discount on a Mac wasn't huge enough to make that happen...)

Wow...the MacBookPro1,1's battery has doubled in size.... It sure is a heavy thing....can't believe I used to lug that thing around...

Wonder if the purchased apps on it are still usable on 10.11.... need to get back to setting up/customizing lkMAc (a Hackintosh-MacBookPro9,2)....but have way too many other (home) computer projects that I'm also trying to get done...that 'nuMAc' keeps pestering me about.

The host name of the real MacBookPro1,1 was 'lkc'. I named my first hackintosh 'nuMAc'....nuc/mac....carrying that on is how I came up with name for second hackintosh :p

Between the MacBookPro1,1 and my first Hackintosh....I had two other work issued Macs. An, iMac13,2 and a MacBookAir5,2....

Shortly after I built 'nuMAc', I had to leave the iMac13,2 and return the MacBookAir5,2.... Up to that point my main use of Mac was for video conferencing/screen sharing....

While (and still) struggling with getting 'nuMAc' working / stable... I was tempted to buy a real MacMini7,1 (though several eBay sellers were nice enough to provide their serial numbers in their listing...which put me on track to coming up with one that got accepted for mine....) or a MacBookAir of similar specs/vintage as the one I had to give back....

Memories....

The Dreamer

I may still, someday pick up a current vintage MacBookPro....just so that I have a real Mac among things....

My lot:

GB-SYS.jpg

good modding,
neil

I have a MacBook Pro Mid-2011. (the last one with Ethernet). It's kind of on the fritz, actually. Randomly turns off; certain applications don't work properly; other jankiness.

Still, this is a secondary machine to my Hackintosh desktop. I'll replace it when it dies fully, and when I have money enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back