Contribute
Register

Do you own a real Mac?

Do You Own a Real Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I introduced myself to the Apple ecosystem approximately a year ago. It actually began several years before with an iPod touch, which I barely used, until I updated it to iOS 6 and then fell in love with it, after which I used it incessantly. That then lead to a iPad 3rd gen, 2012 11" MBA, and 2012 21.5" iMac. Talk about gateway huh? However, nothing compares to my Hackintosh, and it currently blows the other Macs I've owned out of the water! I regret not Hackintoshing sooner. I sold my iMac (a gimped desktop and unsuitable for a true desktop) and still have the 11" MBA which in my opinion, was a worthy purchase. So, yes, I own a real Mac but a "real" Mac has nothing on my real Hack! ;)

Private and work:
2x Iphone 4s
iPad 2
iPad 3
iPadmini
IMac 27 2013
IMac 27 2010
2 x MacBook Air
2 x Timecapsule 2013
2 x Timecapsule 2010
Work:
G5
G4
G3

Seems as if have converter from an apple hater (wintel boy) to an apple fan boy....

And now with Hackintosh and Bootcamp I can have both worlds in one....

Yes I do own a real mac. My first mac was the Lifehacker.com hackintosh project built on the Q6600 intel quad core. Then came a used macbook from eBay. Later from Apple came a time machine, then my first iphone, then my first appletv, then my first ipad, last was my iphone 5. Now I am on Tonymacx86.com for advice on wether I should build a windows laptop hack, or to get a new 13" macbook air. So if Apple is reading this, don't fear the hackers. I have bought over 10 products from apple, not counting the software and iTunes media. My sisters and brothers have followed my lead with Apple. Without that first hackintosh experience I would have remained in the Windows brat pack.

For music production i own a Macbook Pro 17" last 2011 series and an imac core i7 with 16gb of ram. I'm planning to build a powerful customac pro with Xeon inside...i need more power and processor speed :headbang:

Yes i do!
a PPC P5, also Commodore Amiga, Atari STE, Commodore 64D, atari 7800 and a atari woody. Started on the C-64 and the Tandy (TRS 80?)
I miss the days when you had a choice

I had
- Macintosh LC (Later with DayStar 68030/33 CPU-Card)
- Macintosh IIci (Later with 68040/25 CPU-Card)
- Power Macintosh 6100/66
- Power Macintosh 8100/110
- Power Macintosh 7100/66
- Macintosh Color Classic (just for Fun)
- Macintosh Quadra 840AV (just for Fun)
- Power Macintosh 6400/200
- Power Macintosh 9500/200 (Later with G3/375 CPU-Card)
- Power Macintosh 8600/250
- Power Macintosh G3 233 Desktop
- some CRT-iMacs
- Power Macintosh G4/400
- Power Macintosh G4/400
- Power Macintosh G4/1.25 DP (MDD)
- Power Macintosh G5/2.5 DP (PCI-X)
- iMac "Core Duo" 2.0 20-Inch
- iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.33 20-Inch (still alive)
- MacMini "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 (still alive. tv-media station, later with ssd and full RAm upgrade )
- MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.53 13" (SD/FW)
- Mac Pro "Quad Core" 2.66 (still-alive. server)
- MacBook Air "Core i5" 1.8 13" (still alive)

since 2008 my main machines where "hackintoshes". First via EFI-X (yeah, i know...) then via Chameleon.
At the moment, i have 3 of them (2 alive and running) based on 775/Sandy-Bridge.

Thank god, there is chameleon etc... because "traditional" professional mid-range "workstations" are not available at apple.

The first Apple I ever used was a then new Apple //e back in high school taking a computer class at the local community college, yes I'm old.
I used an Atari 800 and a TRS-80 Model I before that, I don't miss loading programs from cassettes. XD

I have been a network administrator for over 20 years and for the longest time I avoided Macs because they were expensive and "didn't play games".
Back in the '90s I learned how to fix the Macs we had at work in the art department and that really turned me off to Apple products.

I started building CustoMacs several years ago because more of the staff were purchasing MacBooks for home and then having trouble with the VPN.
They would call me for help and all I could do was read them what I found on the Internet and when that didn't work tell them to make an appointment at the Genius Bar.
I hate bad customer service so I tried to get management to purchase me a cheap Mac so I could test our VPN and better support the staff but they were really anti Apple.
So I finally built a CostoMac and have slowly grown to like OS X.

I currently own a mid-2007 20" iMac that I purchased used for almost nothing to make it easier to build CustoMacs and at work I have a 2011 base Mac Mini (management finally caved in but gave me tons of grief because "Macs cost more than PCs").

Last week I got my factory refurbished 2012 15" MacBook Pro retina and I absolutely love it, it kicks the crap out of the Dell Precision M4600 I have at work.
I ordered it direct from the Apple refurb store for $500 off but it took almost 3 weeks to get here.
It is like new with not a scratch on it and only 3 charge cycles on the battery, Samsung SSD and the 2013 refresh second gen LG display (no ghosting).
My boss works with Photo Shop a lot and he was drooling over the display.
It also runs my Windows VMs faster than my PCs but my coworkers still get a kick out of watching me run Windows VMs in OS X on a CustoMac.

A big thanks to all the contributors at TonyMacx86.com for making it so easy to build a CustoMac. I would probably be another Apple hater if it wasn't for you guys.

-2012 13" Macbook Pro with a 500gb SSD
-2007 13 Macbook with a 250gb SSD
-Iphone 6 64GB
-2 Iphone 4 16GB
-ATV3
-Ipad 16GB second gen
-GigiByte X97 I7 16GB, 2 250GB SSD, 2TB Slave, GTX 760, Apple WIFI/bluetooth, 27" LG monitor, liquid cooled, Cooler Master HAF XB, Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the OS X operating system. Was MS Windows for so many years, OS X is SO much better!!

Mini G3 and Xserve2,1 here! I really wish there was something I could do with the mini, I think it's time to put Linux on it. At least it could used again. I just can't bring myself to toss it. I was able to get Yosemite on the Xserve, but obviously that ain't happening on the G3's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back