Contribute
Register

Do you own a real Mac?

Do You Own a Real Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a June 2011 Macbook Pro 13(v8.1)
Replaced my 4GB RAM with 16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM (Mac)
Replaced my 320GB HDD with a OCZ Vertex 3 60 GB SSD
Replaced my Super Drive with a 1TB WD Scorpion Black HDD
Have configured the SSD + HDD as a Fusion drive
Have upgraded to Mountain Lion

With the accessories:
Twelve-south BookArc
Thunderbolt to HDMI
Sony 32EX520 LED display
Apple Battery Charger
Apple Wireless keyboard
Magic Trackpad
Magic Mouse
iPad 3 Retina & iPhone 5

Have been running multiple Virtual Machines on it most of the time (especially in Clamshell mode)!

Also had a June 2012 Mac Mini
Replaced my 2GB RAM with my Macbook's 4 GB RAM.

I had/have:
  • PowerBook 100
  • PowerBook Duo 230 + DuoDock
  • Miro 15" Monitor + 24bit Graphics Card (actually I was lucky and won it at CeBIT - worth a ton of money back then)
  • PowerMac 7500
  • PowerBook G4 13" 1.25GHz
  • MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo
  • MacBook Air 2011

I have owned as my working computer:
• Apple IIe - my first computer, purchased in 1983)
• Mac IIci - Purchased 1995
• Macintosh G3/300 - Purchased 1999
• PowerMac G4 1.42 MDD - purchased 2003
• iBook G4 12.1"/ 800 MHz - purchased 2003 (still in service)
• iMac 21.5 Late 2009 3.06 GHz - Purchased 2010 (my wife's computer still in service)

For fun:
• Mac SE
• Mac SE30

After my G4 1.42 died I decided to go the Hackintosh route because it gave me so many more options than an iMac and was less expensive than a Mac Pro, and I am so glad that I did.
Thanks to Tonymacx86, and all of the helpful forum members.

No!

I had to get a new computer for development and music production. I've wanted to run Logic Pro 9 for a few years, but never had the money to buy a real Mac. Also, I really love the terminals in Unix-environments, because everything is so fast.
So when I got around to buying a new computer I thought "I'll give hackintoshing a try and if it doesn't work out, I'll still have a really awesome PC with Windows."

In the end, everything installed smoothly (mostly) and I never bothered installing Windows.
So now I access to the best DAWs in the world (Logic Pro, Cubase, etc.) AND a blazing fast development machine AND everything looks awesome! :thumbup:

I turned my friend (who owns a real Macbook) onto this site and he, too, successfully managed to build a hackintosh :)

Do I own a real Mac, he he he...

Macintosh Plus w/HD20
Macintosh SE/30
Power Macintosh 7100/66*
iBook G3*
Power Macintosh G3 (beige)
Power Macintosh G4 (AGP)
and assorted iDevices, but they're not real Macs

* bought new, all others 2nd hand.
My current hackintosh is built into the beige G3's case.

A beige G3 mod, haven´t seen those very often, even here... Would You mind posting some pictures, over at The Workshop section?

Olli

I have a wonderful late 2012 MBP 13":headbang:

2 x 12" G4 Power Books.
1 x G5 Mac Pro (now a Core 2 Quad Hackintosh).
1 x 2006 edition Mac Pro (was 2.66GHz quad but I replaced the CPUs and is now a 2.66GHz 8 Core. I also replaced the nVidia 7300 with an XFX 6850).
1 x iPod Classic.
2 x iPod Touch 3rd Gen.
1 x iPad 2nd Gen.
1 x iPhone 3G.
1 x iPhone 4.

And lastly my Intel i5 quad core 3.2 GHz Hackintosh which I made out of a faulty G5 which I bought on eBay.

All my towers are running Snow Leopard although I am beginning to feel a bit of preasure to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Shame really as I still think that 10.6.8 is the better OS. It is annoying when software is releassed requiring the new OS when I do not think it really needs it.

Am I an Apple Fanboy? I'd like to say 'no'. I think the future is in Linux, but I'm a 3D CGI Artist and when I was purchasing my software licences I got the choice of Windoze or Mac ( no brainier really ). Since then most of the software I use is now available native for Linux, but I'm not re-purchasing. Apple is a good platform but they, in my opinion, heavily over price the hardware and are overly controlling. They really do like to be their own little monopoly. I went in to an Apple Reseller two days ago to buy Starcraft2 only to discover that they have completely stopped selling any Apple software as this should now be done through the Apps Store. Apple is moving into a more manopolising position. The way they are moving at the moment is that eventually the only offline presence they will allow will be that you can buy an iPhone at a shop and then every other Apple product be it hardware or software you will purchase online directly from them. I worry that the new Mac Pro my have been designed with a little bit of thought to stopping people installing off-the-shelf GFX Cards, something they do not like. After the court ruling on that not going Apples way and third party PCI Express GFX Cards now being made for Macs I have to think it was a considered factor in the new design. Personally I do not like the new Mac Pro as I need to use more than one machine for rendering ( a large market for the Mac Pro ) and I see no way in which to stack this new machine.
All of what I have said gives in my opinion more necessity for web sites like this to exist. Not merely for the purpose of building a hackintosh, but also for helping those with existing Apple platforms upgrade them with non-Apple parts which may prove more cost effective. I first came to this website as I was looking to upgrade my GFX card in my Mac Pro and Apple were heavily limiting me as it is a 2006 model ( they also severely over price the cards available ) this left me with going with a Windoze GFX card as my only option. Now with the pressure to upgrade to Mountain Lion I am once more going to have to evoke a Hackintosh solution for my Mac Pro by installing a Hackintosh boot loader onto my real Mac. The 2006 model can run Mountain Lion fine with this solution, but Apple would rather force me to buy a new computer from them.
Long live Tonymacx86!

Used to, not anymore - happy with my current hackintosh, though I have nightmares of losing my ML USB stick and having to startover from 10.6.3.

Mac Plus with 2 floppy drives and 20 MB SCSI HD!

I absolutely own a real Mac. I have a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro currently running ML 10.8.4. 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Processor, 8GB 1067 RAM, NVIDIA 320M 256MB memory (lawlz!), and 1TB HDD. It is my first Mac I personally owned, all the others were for my school newspaper. It is nothing compared to my Hackintosh though!! Thanks to this lovely community, I will always have a CustoMac :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back