3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, this is probably a really dumb question... But do I need to use KextBeast or KextWizard to install Kexts? Or is it enough to just drag them into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.../?

Hello, this is probably a really dumb question... But do I need to use KextBeast or KextWizard to install Kexts? Or is it enough to just drag them into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.../?
Drag and drop or copy and paste are fine for /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.../

If you install kexts in /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions you need a kext installer like KextBeast

Aaah ok. And if I read correctly, some kexts require to be in /L/E/, but if they don't it is best to inject them with clover (no issues when updating OS), right?

And if I read correctly, some kexts require to be in /L/E/, but if they don't it is best to inject them with clover (no issues when updating OS), right?
Kexts that are essential to the boot process and for use of the recovery partition should be installed to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
This includes FakeSMC.kext and your Ethernet kext as a minimum.
They should also be installed to /Library/Extensions/ along with any additional kexts needed to support your system.
SIP should be disabled and Inject Kexts should be set to Detect.

Personally, I only use Unibeast (as a convenient way to make a bootable USB stick), but not others, not even MultiBeast.

I believe that, if not absolutely necessary, I should keep the OS partition as vanilla as possible. I just copy any necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.../ when necessary, and have yet to encounter a situation where it is necessary to put the kexts into the OS partition.

Kexts that are essential to the boot process and for use of the recovery partition should be installed to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
This includes FakeSMC.kext and your Ethernet kext as a minimum.
They should also be installed to /Library/Extensions/ along with any additional kexts needed to support your system.
SIP should be disabled and Inject Kexts should be set to Detect.
Kext being installed in the OS directly are not needed since the OS builds the kernel cache off of loaded drivers during boot process.

Drag and drop or copy and paste are fine for /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.../

If you install kexts in /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions you need a kext installer like KextBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back