Contribute
Register

Do we need a USB SSDT for USB 3.1 ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac has the following USB ports per specifications:
  • 1 internal USB 2.0 header (2 ports)
  • 1 internal USB 3.1 Gen 1 header (2 ports)
  • 1 PS2 port (Does this show as a USB port?)
  • 1 Thunderbolt 3 port (USB 3.1 Gen2 compatible)
  • 6 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports
  • The wifi M.2 slot (I don't know what kind of USB is built into it)
I've got 3 of these motherboards in the family. From what I have read recently, the thunderbolt and USB 3.1 ports do not require an SSDT? Do I need an SSDT at all if the USB 2 ports are not used?

The ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac has the following USB ports per specifications:
  • 1 internal USB 2.0 header (2 ports)
  • 1 internal USB 3.1 Gen 1 header (2 ports)
  • 1 PS2 port (Does this show as a USB port?)
  • 1 Thunderbolt 3 port (USB 3.1 Gen2 compatible)
  • 6 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports
  • The wifi M.2 slot (I don't know what kind of USB is built into it)
I've got 3 of these motherboards in the family. From what I have read recently, the thunderbolt and USB 3.1 ports do not require an SSDT? Do I need an SSDT at all if the USB 2 ports are not used?

Hi there.

1) That's correct. Because USB 3.1 Gen 2 or Thunderbolt 3 ports on a Z370 board are not controlled by the main chipset, they do not usually show up in the 'XHC' section of the IORegistryExplorer 'tree', and thus an SSDT will have no effect on them. Take a look in the 'RP0*' section instead.

An SSDT does, however, have an effect on chipset ports such as USB3.1 Gen1 and USB 2.0.

2) I took a look at the ASRock Spec but their site doesn't seem to detail which USB controller chipsets are used (unless I just missed them). Some manufacturers use third-party controllers to help the main chipset along. Maybe your board does not. Either way, the Thunderbolt 3 port is likely controlled by an external Intel chip.

The total number of USB ports you have is 18 - not including the Thunderbolt 3 ones - so a bespoke SSDT might be useful in reducing this number to 15 or less, depending on how many you wish to use.

:)

Thanks. There seems to be some confusion which is why I posted the topic. Some say only 3.0 ports need to be in the SSDT while others include 3.1 (gen 1?) ports. You say 3.1 Gen 1 ports need to be there too? (just confirming).

Yes, that's right.

There has been a general renaming by the manufacturers recently just to confuse us all.

Basically, if the main chipset, in your case Z370, controls the USB ports then they appear on the XHC or EHC registers and can be configured using USBInjectAll.kext and an SSDT.

However, a new Z390, which features USB3.1 Gen 2 ports because it is so up-to-date, can also show them on XHC making them configurable (reports confirm).

Most third-party chipset solutions used to augment earlier Intel chipsets do not, and are not so easily configured. GenericUSBXHCI.kext used to help but hasn't been updated for years now. However there were a few 'native' solutions over the years that required no drivers.

Last edited:
Yes, that's right.

There has been a general renaming by the manufacturers recently just to confuse us all.

Basically, if the main chipset, in your case Z370, controls the USB ports then they appear on the XHC or EHC registers and can be configured using USBInjectAll.kext and an SSDT.

However, a new Z390, which features USB3.1 Gen 2 ports because it is so up-to-date, can also show them on XHC making them configurable (reports confirm).

Most third-party chipset solutions used to augment earlier Intel chipsets do not, and are not so easily configured. GenericUSBXHCI.kext used to help but hasn't been updated for years now. However there were a few 'native' solutions over the years that required no drivers.

Thank You... I guess I will go through Rehabman's guide for a custom SSDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back