Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same problem for my 2nd 970 EVO plus (the first one, who runs macOS, was already with the good firmware), I never achieve to boot on the usb flash drive to do the update process, like if the usb is not bootable by the bios :/
hello dear
the same now happening with me for a new external 500 GB 970 plus i got. were u able to solve the issue?

If it’s a standard SSD it will be fine. The Z97 boards have a m.2 slot that only supports up to 10mb/sec so you won’t really be fit from a MVME drive that much. Z170 and up support 32 mb/sec so they see a much better improvement using NVME drives.

The Z97 boards only support gen 3 x 2 lane PCIE for the M.2 socket. BUT...

You can buy an M.2 PCIE card and get the full benefit of a drive's 3 x 4 PCIE. The boards are inexpensive (mine cost about $15 online) because they don't have any electronics. It's just an M.2 socket and PCIE slot contacts. If you don't have a 4-lane slot available the board works with a 16-lane slot, and probably 8-lane too.

I did that and I am getting full performance from a Hewlett Packard 1TB M.2 NVME. I get about 3 x the real world sequential write performance I got from my previous SATA III. The read performance is similarly fast.

And it boots just fine via Clover, even though my BIOS does not list it as a bootable drive. I simply formatted the drive using Disk Utility, then cloned my boot drive to the M.2 using a commonly available cloning utility.

The HP is *almost* as fast as the 970 Plus, and has a similar MTBF. But it cost half as much.

Side note: my motherboard (see sidebar) shares the PCIE for the built-in M.2 slot with 2 "SATA Express" sockets, which also support standard SATA III. If you use the built-in M.2 socket, you not only won't get full performance from your M.2, but you also lose full use of those two SATA sockets.

If you put your M.2 on a PCIE card instead, you get the full M.2 performance and you also free up those two SATA sockets. That leaves you with a total of 6 native chipset SATA sockets, and 2 additional SATA sockets on the board's added chipset. MacOS sees anything on those last 2 as "external" drives, but you can still boot from them if you want. Just be sure not to "eject" your boot drive!

Last edited:
I have bought recently a SSD Evo Plus from eBay.

In Windows I opened Samsung Magicians to check the firmware, plugged the SSD inside an enclosure with USB 3.0 and got the following results:

Drive: Samsung SSD 970
Serial Numbner: 00000000000000000
Firmware: EXM7
Temperature: N/A

Theres no option to upgrade the Firmware...

And theres no place where it says "EVO Plus" apart from the SSD sticker... this make me think that perhaps I have been mislead by an eBay seller advert that was selling EVO Plus and the SSD is another model with a EVO Plus sticker...

Does this firmware and results relates my SSD to an Evo Plus SSD?

Is there a way to check this SSD ID?

Last edited:
I opened Samsung Magicians to check the firmware, plugged the SSD inside an enclosure with USB 3.0 and got the following results
Try connecting it internally instead of through a USB port. It may not be reporting all the info when seen as an external drive.

The problem is that I do not have how to connect it internally... the notebook is for M.2. B+M and not M... Perhaps if I install Windows on the drive and make it bootable through USB?

Any ideas how i can do this externally?

Last edited:
if it is external then it is an USB storage not a nvme storage. complete different thing. you could have bought any cheap SSD if you intend to use it over USB only

How about the Samsung 970 PRO? Any experiences? Want to use that one as my OS Drive.

Just installed my 2nd NVMe Samsung 970 EVO+ 500GB... No problems with firmware. $99USD at MicroCenter.

Hi all,

Some weeks ago Samsung introduced some new M2 NVM SSDs. I wanted to purchase the older 970 Evo model to create a dual boot system for my Intel Skull Canyon . The new drive is only slightly more expensive and I don't mind the additional 1000 MB/s write speeds. Are there any users that have been using this drive in their builds?
Actually yes, yesterday i bought Samsung 970 evo plus 250gb nvme.
Installed in Catalina no problem but i am not getting the speed that nvme has to give the speed is similar to ssd Samsung.
But no other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back