Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got two of them though I paid a bit more then that for them. Maybe I should see if Best Buy will match the price on both of them.
Certainly worth a try. Post the speeds you are getting with them for comparison to the Evo Plus.

Certainly worth a try. Post the speeds you are getting with them for comparison to the Evo Plus.

The one in the Mac system is the boot drive, how would I test that?

Here is a test from windows:

Western Digital SN750 - OS Drive
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 9.50.48 PM.png

Samsung 970 EVO Plus - Storage
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 9.59.07 PM.png

I generally do not do benchmarks.

Last edited:
I personally recommend that you avoid the EVO PLUS for Mac OS even with the updated firmware. And leave the Evo Plus to windows. Some people report still having issues with them others say they work just fine.
I had been asking because the system errors you received don't exactly look like what I would expect from a flakey storage device. Note that I'm not doubting your observations but both as a dev and being interested in using the EVO Plus I'm interested in what's going on. But perhaps there's something else odd with @dmitry_matora's overall system setup.

Edit: mixed up reply chain, fixed reference

Last edited:
The best deal of any name brand 500 GB NVMe drive right now is the SN750 by WD for $95 at Newegg or Amazon.
It's warranty is just as good, speeds are similar and it costs less money. What's not to like ?
Things to compare would also include sustained write performance, energy consumption and temperature.

I had been asking because the system errors you received don't exactly look like what I would expect from a flakey storage device. Note that I'm not doubting your observations but both as a dev and being interested in using the EVO Plus I'm interested in what's going on. But perhaps there's something else odd with your overall system setup.

Na nothing Odd about either of my Hackintosh systems. The problem is the EVO Plus drive it is well documented that it is finicky with macOS even Samsung released a Firmware update to try and correct the problem. I personally have no clue about the issue with the EVO Plus drive as I did not try to run one in my Hack since until a few months again it was totally advised against. I try and steer clear of stuff with added configuration needs.

Last edited:
The one in the Mac system is the boot drive, how would I test that?
Download Black Magic Disk Speed Test from the Mac App Store and run that.

Last edited:
It's warranty is just as good, speeds are similar, and it costs less money. What's not to like ?
500Gb 970 EVO Write 2300 Mb/s
500Gb SN750 Write 2600 Mb/s
500Gb 970 EVO+ Write 3200 Mb/s

But perhaps there's something else odd with @dmitry_matora's overall system setup.
I really hope that it's just a coincidence of updating Source Tree to a buggy version during disk swap.

Any update on this?
Haven't got any crash since I've stopped letting Source Tree hanging in background for days.
But it was just 5 days since then, so I wouldn't call issue solved yet.
1565035438233.png

Haven't got any crash since I've stopped letting Source Tree hanging in background for days.
But it was just 5 days since then, so I wouldn't call issue solved yet.
View attachment 420519
I switched to Fork because Source Tree would sit there and chew on my CPU for no apparent reason. Never got file descriptor errors, however this was on a MBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back