Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately no key press will get it to go past the Press Any Key prompt so I can't get to the next screen for the Y/N responses. I've given up and decided to send it back and get the WD SN750 instead which I know works and current WD Europe are selling it with a 4Gb 3.5" Black HDD which I can sell to reduce the cost.

So I'm running into issues trying to update the firmware (2Tb EVO Plus in external TB3 enclosure). I've tried the Samsung Magician software in Boot Camp windows where the SSD is detected but it believes that 1B2QEXM7 firmware is the latest version so does not offer an update.

I've also tried creating the bootable USB firmware update where it runs but then I get to the screen with "Samsung Firmware Updater 3.1" and Press Any Key but I press all the keys on the MacBook Pro keyboard and nothing happens to progress to the next section to detect the SSD.

Anyone come up against the same and have a solution? Many thanks.

UPDATE: I've been able to format it as ex-FAT in Disk Utility and able to run a performance benchmark in Samsung Magician which is giving sequential speeds of: Read 2510 MB/s and Write 739 MB/s. Obviously I want it as an APFS drive preferable so will keep trying to update.

The firmware updates requires native PCie connectiion thus updating via TB3 or any enclosure cannot be done.

The 2Tb WD Black SN750 is working perfectly and getting around 2600MB/s for both read and write, through thunderbolt 3 enclosure to iMac. This is perfect for my needs with using the external SSD for video and photo editing with no obvious hang time going between photos and loading folders. Doubt I'd notice any real world improvement if it were a little faster.

As I'm currently about to buy a new Hack, is the 970 Evo Plus now recommended with the firmware update or is it still better to avoid it and use e.g. a WD Black SN750?

As I'm currently about to buy a new Hack, is the 970 Evo Plus now recommended with the firmware update or is it still better to avoid it and use e.g. a WD Black SN750?
If the price of the WD is similar or less than the 970 Plus I would go with the SN750. The warranty is just as good and WD's quality control is among the best in the industry.

The firmware updates requires native PCie connectiion thus updating via TB3 or any enclosure cannot be done.

I plugged the samsung 970 evo plus with sintech adapter on my MBP 2015 early.
but it couldn't read the 970 evo plus successfully.

seems I need to find another computer with native PCie connection to upgrade the firmware?

I plugged the samsung 970 evo plus with sintech adapter on my MBP 2015 early.
but it couldn't read the 970 evo plus successfully.

seems I need to find another computer with native PCie connection to upgrade the firmware?

Yes you need to update the firmware from other computer first.

Just want to confirm . 970 EVO Plus 256 GB . M.2. Works perfectly on High Sierra. I work already 5 days on it. Never freeze, no any reboot themself .
but don't forget to Update SSD Firmware

Would this firmware update fix the PM981 too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back