Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is their a way to update the firmware w/o having to boot into windows?
Hi thoronthar: I don't think you need to boot to Windows the ISO for updating will be burned to USB stick. Then you boot form the usb. It seems to come with it's own "OS / Linux. After the update you can do the normal install procedure. Makes sense ?

I can confirm... installing the new firmware (2B2QEXM7) works! I had the initial firmware, and MACOS 10.13.6 would crash upon even accessing the disk in disk utility. But Now, with the new firmware on my 1 TB 970 Evo Plus, I created an APFS partition, and cloned my old drive to it, NO PROBLEMS at all!

On Mac there are no firmware updates, just update Mojave to 10.14.5?

No this is not a Mac update. This is samsung firmware update. You can update a ssd

On Mac there are no firmware updates, just update Mojave to 10.14.5?
I wrote the post earlier on updating the firmware, I will write again.
Quick instructions on how to upgrade your firmware:
1-Download the new firmware on samsung site https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws...A78151C/Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_2B2QEXM7.iso
2-Write it on the USB drive (I burned through Rufus on Windows 7)
3-Boot the system from the flash drive, you will fall into the installer for updating the firmware
4-Follow the instructions, after a successful upgrade, restart the computer
5-You can install the system on 970 evo plus
Also attach the firmware file.

Attachments

• Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_2B2QEXM7.iso
    28 MB · Views: 1,672
@bootpcanon: a quick addition to your list: In case you want to use this process for a macbook. You need to press the option key while restarting the MB and then select the EFI option to start from the USB.

It then also boots into the Samsung update process.

I was working on 970 EVO Plus with Sonnet 4x4 pcie card these days.
Finally it works, for several hours and restarts, including Mojave installation.

In Samsung Support site, there is an ISO file of firmware update utility for EVO Plus, named
NVMe SSD-970 EVO Plus Firmware

Also a User Manual for downloading:

Follow this manual to download a UNetbootin freeware, and step by step to create an EFI Boot USB.

Download the Unetbootin for Mac and open it, ignore the alert that it may not be compatible
It can create an EFI bootable USB working with Mac.
Startup with the boot USB, step by step, it will update firmware to drives one by one, even in a RAID set.
For the system installation, I formatted the drive to APFS, and it ran very smoothly.

My System: Mac Pro 2010, 12 cores, 5,1 of boot ROM 141.0.0.0.0
PCIe card: Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe card, x16 PCIe 3.0, up to 4 SSD's

Good to know Samsung have finally addressed the issue ... thanks for the update guys.

Cheers
Jay

So I'm running into issues trying to update the firmware (2Tb EVO Plus in external TB3 enclosure). I've tried the Samsung Magician software in Boot Camp windows where the SSD is detected but it believes that 1B2QEXM7 firmware is the latest version so does not offer an update.

I've also tried creating the bootable USB firmware update where it runs but then I get to the screen with "Samsung Firmware Updater 3.1" and Press Any Key but I press all the keys on the MacBook Pro keyboard and nothing happens to progress to the next section to detect the SSD.

Anyone come up against the same and have a solution? Many thanks.

UPDATE: I've been able to format it as ex-FAT in Disk Utility and able to run a performance benchmark in Samsung Magician which is giving sequential speeds of: Read 2510 MB/s and Write 739 MB/s. Obviously I want it as an APFS drive preferable so will keep trying to update.

Last edited:
So I'm running into issues trying to update the firmware (2Tb EVO Plus in external TB3 enclosure). I've tried the Samsung Magician software in Boot Camp windows where the SSD is detected but it believes that 1B2QEXM7 firmware is the latest version so does not offer an update.

I've also tried creating the bootable USB firmware update where it runs but then I get to the screen with "Samsung Firmware Updater 3.1" and Press Any Key but I press all the keys on the MacBook Pro keyboard and nothing happens to progress to the next section to detect the SSD.

Anyone come up against the same and have a solution? Many thanks.

UPDATE: I've been able to format it as ex-FAT in Disk Utility and able to run a performance benchmark in Samsung Magician which is giving sequential speeds of: Read 2510 MB/s and Write 739 MB/s. Obviously I want it as an APFS drive preferable so will keep trying to update.
The firmware must be updated, or the performance will be unstable. In the firmware utility, it keeps asking “Y“ or “N”, just key in Y and return, all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back