Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I know @richardp1512 already asked, but I'm about to buy two 970 Pro m.2 and I want to make sure first, because Tony's Buyer's Guide specifically does not include the 970 Pro's and Evo's as m.2, only the SSD variants.

Can anybody confirm they are m.2's are actually working? Thanks a lot!

970 Pro works.
970 EVO works.
970 EVO Plus, most people have troubles with.

See this post for another alternative to the Samsung drives.

So this is my first hackintosh build and its not going so well. My installs always fail at the minutes left with the message, "...volume is not convertible to apfs...".

Come to find out, after having invested about 40 hours in troubleshooting, testing, making a dozen different boot images in different ways with different efi folders, im using a samsung 970 evo plus.

I am looking for a reasonably priced alternative now, have you guys ever used Silicon Power drives? Im seeing $75 on Amazon for a 512gb comparable model.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6DKM8V/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
part no:
SU512GBP34A80M28AB

So this is my first hackintosh build and its not going so well. My installs always fail at the minutes left with the message, "...volume is not convertible to apfs...".

Come to find out, after having invested about 40 hours in troubleshooting, testing, making a dozen different boot images in different ways with different efi folders, im using a samsung 970 evo plus.

I am looking for a reasonably priced alternative now, have you guys ever used Silicon Power drives? Im seeing $75 on Amazon for a 512gb comparable model.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6DKM8V/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
part no:
SU512GBP34A80M28AB

I would look to the post above regarding the WD Black for @$105

looking for a reasonably priced alternative now, have you guys ever used Silicon Power drives?
I've had nothing but failures with SP products so I wouldn't expect this to be any different. They are priced that much lower than name brand drives for a reason. If you read the reviews the write speeds are nowhere near advertised ones. Most of the time less than half of what they suggest. Sequential read speeds are higher but that is not the most important number to look at.

Go with Crucial, WD or Samsung and that's the safest way to go. If you need to spend 70 dollars or less you could go with a Crucial budget drive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J2WBKXF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Quick question. I installed the 10.15.5 beta version but don't have a 970 plus to test. Did someone tried if the beta fixed the compatibility issue?
Help is much appreciated

Christ. What a waste of an evening. And I've already wiped and changed out my Intel 600p... What a ballache. I have to remove gfx card to reach the nvme slot. I never thought to check the brand of ssd. Was trying high Sierra install on 500gb 970EvoPlus. Would always just lock up on phase two. Glad I finally gave up and checked the drive model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back