Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refer only to the kexts required to boot, like Lilu, FakeSMC/VirtualSMC...
Now I tried latest Lilu and VirtualSMC, no success.

Right, gotchya! No, looking at the kernel panic logs it's almost certainly due to the Apple provided kext for the NVMe. Unfortunately I think we need to wait for an Apple fix or a Samsung firmware update.

There's a guy here reporting he managed to make it work in a Mac:

Looks interesting, the obvious difference there could be that he's using a PCI adapter, whereas we're all (presumably) mounting onto a slot on the motherboard. Interesting though!

I bought a 1tb 970 evo plus before I read this. I have windows 10 running fine on it. I made an hfs+ and exfat partition. I'm now running 10.12.6 on an 850 evo sata ssd. The 970 evo plus shows up, all 3 partitions. I'm able to copy files to the exfat partition. I'm not getting random freezes, but it seems to eject itself randomly and I get the eject your drive before removing it message. It seems like whatever is going on is OSX related.

I hope someone comes up with a fix, it's ridiculously fast in windows. I tried to get the regular 970 evo but microcenter was sold out, and best buy doesn't cary them in store anymore. Also I have a hard time paying the same price or more for something that is outdated and not as fast. The plus seems to be the future.

Aww MAN!! I, too, wish I had found this thread before buying a brand new 970 EVO plus!! Everytime I plug it in to my PCIx8 slot, I lose graphics from my RX580. In that state, I managed to initiate the drive and CCC my system drive over, but when I boot into it, KP.

Might have to return and find a 970 or 970 Pro.

I decided to get a non plus 970 evo. Cloned OSX and Windows to it. That seems to be working without a hitch.

I put my 970 evo plus in a usb c enclosure. I tried cloning OSX onto it and had no problems. I'm able to boot from it. I haven't tested it extensively yet. But I might just keep it. It is a shame I won't be able to use it's full speed. It tops out just under 1000MB/sec on both read and write bottlenecking USB 3.1 type C. If I find something cheaper that is still good quality, I might return it. But $250 for 1TB SSD still isn't bad even if I can't use the full speed. I think I paid $300 for the one I'll be replacing, and that one tops at 300MB/sec or so.

I'll be using it for all the current projects I'm working on. Lots of big audio files and some photo/video. If I cheap out and get QLC I feel like I might wear it out. I'll post again if I have any issues with it. But it seems to be working fine in the enclosure.

It must be a problem with OSX NVME drivers.

I have contacted Samsung about it (represented by Hanaro in Europe), showed some logs and links about the problems reported in forums.

They replied:
Based on requests received and online information, there seem to be incompatibility issues between the 970 EVO Plus and MAC.
This compatibility has not been officially confirmed by Samsung.
However, we have contacted Samsung for more information.
Samsung is currently analyzing the issues.
Hopefully we will receive a response regarding the test analysis and the results soon.
Once we receive a response, it will be shared.

For the time being, if it is still possible to contact your reseller, we recommend replacing the 970 EVO Plus with the 970 EVO or 970 PRO, as they have no known compatibility problems with MAC.

We do hope that we have adequately informed you and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that this might have caused.

Update: The plus in the USB 3.1 type c enclosure is now randomly ejecting in windows even worse than it did in osx. It still seems to work just fine in OSX though in the enclosure. I have it formatted to exfat MBR. Now I'm really confused. This makes me think the issue must be with the firmware of the 970 evo plus. But I really have no idea. Looks like I will be returning it.

Damm wish I checked .. just bought EVO Plus 1TB can't even get it Carbon Copy from older 950 Pro..
System restart within writing a few 100MB )O:

(kind of 2 questions) for you guys - are the problems with this SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus) specific to Samsung and this model, or is it something to do with the type of SSD it is? I am wondering if anyone has experience with 3D NAND QLC SSDs and Hackintoshing. MicroCenter has the 1TB Intel 660p on sale for $110. I am very tempted to buy one and build a new NUCintosh. but would love to get any insight on that.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...80-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back