Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup I bought a 1TB Evo plus and after cloning my boot drive to it, I have restarts upon booting and crashes in 10.13.6.

Damn, I bought two of them :mad:

I was wondering if this thread could be stickied or something similiar so that people could see it more easily :!:

Should've checked this forum before buying a 500gb m2 970 Evo Plus.. Tried a clean install and indeed it crashes consistently during the second reboot phase. We'll have to wait for a kext fix or a firmware update I guess.

Should've checked this forum before buying a 500gb m2 970 Evo Plus..

Gah! I did the same!

I saw positive posts for Evo and didn’t expect it to be any different for the Evo Plus :(

Had to remove mine also, will keep my fingers crossed for a firmware fix.

Our call center runs 100% Mac Minis. We've deployed 12x 970 Evo successfully, one computer system wouldn't work (I suspect damaged motherboard). We're using the Sintech adapter Willhorn adapters off Amazon (tremendously overpriced btw, you can get them on Alibaba.com for much cheaper).

I purchased 3x 970 Evo+, tried them in 3x different 2014 Mac Minis with the same crashes and kernel panics reported in this thread on both APFS, HFS+. None of them made it all the way through the installation process. Returning the Evo+s, we have to turn the Macs around to the call center, so we can't wait for a fix from Samsung or Apple.

Ups... i read this thread right now.... and i just purchased a 500gb ‍I Hope that a kext or patch came out... @RehabMan can you help us please?

Last edited:
I do think the drive is not compatible even with Macs. I couldn't find any evidence that it works at least, and some people mentioned to have problems, like @exabrial.

Has anyone tried 10.14.4 beta 4 (or any other beta)?
Also, anyone using latest kexts fresh from their git repository?

I do think the drive is not compatible even with Macs. I couldn't find any evidence that it works at least, and some people mentioned to have problems, like @exabrial.

Yeah, as far as I can see it's the native Apple KEXT for NVMe's which is causing the kernel panic, not something added by Clover - it looks to be an Apple specific issue, rather than related to it being a Hackintosh.

Has anyone tried 10.14.4 beta 4 (or any other beta)?
Also, anyone using latest kexts fresh from their git repository?

What do you mean by kexts fresh from their git repository, who's git repository and which kexts?

I'd expect us to have to wait until either Samsung release a firmware update, or until Apple release a fix. I checked the Samsung Magician software in Windows and there hasn't yet been a firmware update for the drive.

I've not tried any of the OSX betas, as I also use this machine for work, so I'd rather not mess with it too much :\

Yeah, as far as I can see it's the native Apple KEXT for NVMe's which is causing the kernel panic, not something added by Clover - it looks to be an Apple specific issue, rather than related to it being a Hackintosh.

What do you mean by kexts fresh from their git repository, who's git repository and which kexts?

I'd expect us to have to wait until either Samsung release a firmware update, or until Apple release a fix. I checked the Samsung Magician software in Windows and there hasn't yet been a firmware update for the drive.

I've not tried any of the OSX betas, as I also use this machine for work, so I'd rather not mess with it too much :\

I refer only to the kexts required to boot, like Lilu, FakeSMC/VirtualSMC...
Now I tried latest Lilu and VirtualSMC, no success.

If apple releases 10.14.4 before my 14 days of right of returning my 970 Evo, I'm gonna give a try, otherwise, I'll exchange for a regular 970 Evo.

There's a guy here reporting he managed to make it work in a Mac:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back