Contribute
Register

Solved > Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Motherboard
Apple MBP mid 2014
CPU
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
To follow up on this, I went with the 970 Plus. Two 1TB 970 Plus, one Windows, one macOS. Updating the firmware for both drives went smoothly. Just booted from USB stick, pressed "Y" a couple of times and done. I had Windows already installed on one drive before the upgrade while the other was untouched. No issues with either drive, no issues installing Mojave, no issues migrating 400 GB from my old Hack to the new drive (twice actually, because I made a mistake the first time). No issues with some heavy working for the past days. All fine. I can recommend using the 970 Plus with the new firmware.
Hi CitizenK and community! I have read through all theses posts (awesome!) and have a couple of questions/need advice. So, it sounds like the Samsung 970 Plus is now working on Mac laptops with the firmware upgrade. I have a mid 2014 MBpro 15" and want to upgrade the original Apple 1TB SSD with a 2 TB. I do a lot of Photo, video and music editing, storage and large photo, video and sound file folder slinging to and fro external usb drives. My photo library is approx 800+GB and growing. I like all my stuff on one drive as best as possible... Hence need the larger SSD.

Based on what I have read here, I think I have narrowed down to either the Samsung 970 Plus or the Western Digital WD Black SN750.

Questions: I have mid 2014 MBpro 15" Retina 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
-- Anyone have a recommendation for one over the other (or other) given my rig and use case (video, photo and music)?
-- Anyone have any concerns about compatibility/tried your SSD with Catalina beta yet? Any issues?
-- latest adapter preference?

Thanks again everyone for the awesome posts and would appreciate your advice!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
I heard that new firmware slows down the disk, but I've already bought it. Here are my results on fresh mojave 10.14.6 installation on 970 EVO Plus 1 TB. Don't know if it's slowed down or it's full speed...

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F
CPU
I5-8600K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I heard that new firmware slows down the disk, but I've already bought it. Here are my results on fresh mojave 10.14.6 installation on 970 EVO Plus 1 TB. Don't know if it's slowed down or it's full speed...

Yea I think that is slowed down, if you dual boot run the same test in windows.

Motherboard
Apple MBP mid 2014
CPU
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Hi everyone. Still confused. Apologies. Is the Samsung 970 EV Plus working for folks? I have mid 2014 MBpro 15" Retina 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7. Based on what I have read here, I think I have narrowed down to either the Samsung 970 Plus, the Western Digital WD Black SN750 or Sabrent 2TB. Any advice on which? Also, which adapter? The Sintechs on Amazon specifically say they won't work with the Samsung 970 Plus.... Help I am out of space!

TKS.

Motherboard
GA-Z370N-WIFI
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 460
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
After playing with the disk for a month, I have to admit, I keep getting problems.

Firmware update solves kernel panics, but my machine becomes unresponsive during the sleep once 1-3 days, so I have to hard reset it. And when it's not sleeping, quite often apps will stop working, saying that system runs out of file descriptors, suggesting to restart app or system if restarting app doesn't help.

1564602570356.png
1564555159635.png

I'll probably keep using 970 plus since speed is insane and I don't mind that much reseting desktop once a day. I keep all critical data in the cloud, so it's hard for me to loose any. But whenever I'll need to leave machine for month to be remotely available, I'll have to go back to 970 EVO (or hopefully 980 if it gets released earlier)

Some people say that they have same problem with Source Tree even without mentioning 970 Plus, but I didn't have this issue while using 970 EVO. Will stop letting Source Tree hanging in background for days and will see if that fixes the issue.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Apple MBP mid 2014
CPU
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Because I am a glutton for IT punishment, I have ordered the Samsung 970 Plus. AND, since I am rolling the dice here anyway, I am also going to try to update to the Catalina beta and really risk the abyss! While hope is not a strategy, I am hoping that I will be in the lucky bunch... Unfortunately, the small Sintech is backordered at Amazon, so ordered the long one, and some Kapton tape. If the 970 Plus doesn't work out, I will return or sell it, and get the WD black or the Sabrent 2TB and press on. Will keep you all posted on what transpires!

As as side point, did you see that new generation Sabrents are out? The new gens are supposedly backward compatible and on sale at Amazon... But it seems that they require the heat sink and I do not know whether that would fit in the Macbook Pro... Is a shame not to be able to leverage these at this price!

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Inte...6406&s=electronics&smid=A29Y8OP2GPR7PE&sr=1-1

Motherboard
OSX LION
CPU
INTEL Q6600
Graphics
ATI HD5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

repeat the 16GB test 8 times, the 970 EVO Plus heats up, the performance drops ?

Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Phantom G ITX
CPU
i5 9600K
Graphics
Sapphire RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Accidentally bought second hand 500gb 970 EVO Plus. I'm about to use it as a boot drive. Should i ask my money back as the seller hasn't shipped it yet?