Contribute
Register

Do I need to installed Graphics card drivers if I ran MultiBeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Graphics
GeForce Nvidia 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I'm really new to this, I am a bit confused.

Yesterday I build my first Hackintosh.

It seems to work fine (except ethernet port won't work)

I notice my Geforce GTX 760 Graphics card came with a disk of drivers.
Do I still need to install these drivers ? I thought MultiBeast did that, or does that install other drivers?

(I'm a bit confused. I also had a driver for my GA Z87NWIFI motherboard.. does I need to install these also?)

Thank-you very much for reading.

Kind Regards

anybody?! I know it is probably a really silly question, just I read thro several articles here and it hasnt mentioned installing drivers that came with grfx card, but surely I will need to?
if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated
Thank-you kindly

In general, Mac OS X includes ALL drivers for ALL video cards it supports. In general, you can't buy a graphics card for Mac OS X unless you buy it from Apple or you buy a card that is specifically a Mac edition of the card. This changed with hackintoshing and now many after-market graphics cards are supported, thanks to a general consolidation around AMD/ATI cards and GeForce cards.

All that said, getting any given graphics card to work on a hackintosh can be a tricky experience. Some cards work out of the box or with the addition of a few simple boot.plist arguments such as GraphicsEnabler=Yes or GraphicsEnabler=No. Earlier you might have had to use a bit of software called an injector which basically told the OS what driver to use.

Notably, GeForce cards seem to work fairly reliably on Mavericks OOB with GE=No. AMD/ATI cards seem to be more finicky, and there are threads about modifying the kexts in /S/L/E that your card uses to include your cards device id, which is the thing that looks like 0x67391002 (6739 is the card, 1002 is the manufacturer), setting AtiConfig and/or AtiPorts in your boot.plist to force a particular frame buffer, etc.

There ARE Mac driver installers for video cards out there, but in general, you do not need to install them. I'd stick with the drivers Apple provides, which are occasionally updated in the general Mac OS X updates (10.9.1 for example).

But yes, if you intend to run Windows you'll have to install drivers to reach the cards full potential in that OS.

Great, thank-you for taking time to write this :)

Thank-you so much for your detailed explaination. It really helped.
I was starting to lose faith in this board as I posted a couple of other questions but nobody had replied after 4-5 days.. I will investigate the 'GraphicsEnabler=No' option now as my Final Cut Pro crashes immediately I try and drag in video, I guessed it may have been the graphics card..
thanks very much again.. really appreciated it
R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back