Contribute
Register

Do I need another SSD drive to install Window?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

This is what I want to do. I want to install Window 10 to my existing build. I have an additional HD 1tb drive that I just clean out and about to load it up with back up files. I'm currently using the SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb drive for my Hackintosh Mojave. Should I get a seperate SSD maybe 500gb and put that new ssd with Mojave and load the window on the SSD 256gb? Or just partition 500gb from the 1TB HD drive and load window with that?

also, what is the best way to load window so clover and pick up what OS to select to boot up during Clover boot up? Do I use boot camp to do this?

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

This is what I want to do. I want to install Window 10 to my existing build. I have an additional HD 1tb drive that I just clean out and about to load it up with back up files. I'm currently using the SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb drive for my Hackintosh Mojave. Should I get a seperate SSD maybe 500gb and put that new ssd with Mojave and load the window on the SSD 256gb? Or just partition 500gb from the 1TB HD drive and load window with that?

also, what is the best way to load window so clover and pick up what OS to select to boot up during Clover boot up? Do I use boot camp to do this?

We strongly recommend installing MacOS and Windows on separate drives.

If you can, get a separate SSD. You should be able to clone your current Mojave installation from the old SSD to the new and then use the old SSD for Windows, or directly use the new SSD for Windows.

Regardless, before attempting to install Windows make sure to disable or disconnect the MacOS SSD to prevent Windows from doing anything to your MacOS drive. No need to use Boot Camp as that is Apple's way of installing Windows on the SAME SSD. You are using a normal PC so Boot Camp is not necessary and is not recommended.

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
See the pinned guide at the beginning of this forum. Not sure how it would work with APFS container volumes in Mojave and Catalina.
If you have room for multiple drives, best to install on separate drives.