Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ga-z170x-ud3
CPU
intel i7 6700k
Graphics
geforce gtx 1050 ti
Hello,
I built a running hackintosh, still running on 10.12.5, GTX1050ti.
I'm not good with computers and didn't bother (and found time to) update to 10.13 when I saw the drivers are not supported anymore.
Now that I have some time to think about it, I'd like to update to 10.14.
Do I need to buy a new AMD graphic card? it is my understanding I can use with generic drivers, but in such case the acceleration will not work.

I actually don't know if I need acceleration at all, I never play video games, I only use photoshop, final cut pro, logic intensively (and browsing).
Do you think in my case I should get an AMD graphic card and try to update, or use generic drivers, to get a smooth and running troublefree hackintosh
thank you

Hi. I had similar dilemma, using my hackintosh for Photoshop and Lightroom 90% of the time, I didn't even bother to upgrade since 2015. I maxed out memory to 32GB since new but I've been using this with a build-in GPU (intel i5-4960K). It was very quiet and fast enough with SSD (Samsung 850 EVO).

Recently I upgraded storage do m.2 (970 EVO) and add gfx card. In my case there was no point to put some latest GPU if that would be suppressed by the procesor and chipset. I was thinking about something used and cheap like RX560/4GB to scale with the other parts, so I could get just enough acceleration in DaVinci Resolve to work comfortably. I've got RX 570 / 4GB instead which was a bargain on a prime day and good compromise between speed and noise levels. Now my computer is much faster and more responsive (huge improvement for just £240).

The trick is that mac OS use GPU even to draw the interface. Photoshop also can utilise these extra horse powers. Final cut definitely use GPU and should improve the performance with a better card, at least RX 580 to notice any difference over 1050TI (or something faster if you don't mind some noise). You have newer architecture than mine and faster processor, so I guess you could benefit from the Vega 56 or something similar.

This comparison may help: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/...-RX-580-vs-Radeon-RX-Vega-56/3595vs3736vs3821
Cheers :)

Last edited:
Hello,
I built a running hackintosh, still running on 10.12.5, GTX1050ti.
I'm not good with computers and didn't bother (and found time to) update to 10.13 when I saw the drivers are not supported anymore.
Now that I have some time to think about it, I'd like to update to 10.14.
Do I need to buy a new AMD graphic card? it is my understanding I can use with generic drivers, but in such case the acceleration will not work.

I actually don't know if I need acceleration at all, I never play video games, I only use photoshop, final cut pro, logic intensively (and browsing).
Do you think in my case I should get an AMD graphic card and try to update, or use generic drivers, to get a smooth and running troublefree hackintosh
thank you
yes, you will need Acceleration to make photoshop, (or any app!) to function properly

best to go for a Vega 56/64

do I just need to get a Vega 56/64? I can keep the same motherboard and cpu?
It depends on your needs. GPU should scale with CPU. If you buy the best graphics card on the market you may not see as much progress if your processor will hold you back slowing down the system. On the other hand you won't use the whole potential of your build without decent graphics card. The one you have right now is rather underpowered.

You have 6th Generation Intel Core Processor and if you don't suffer any lack of power, there is no reason to upgrade. Your build is based on motherboard and processor (at least that's what is used to profile your hackintosh), and until you keep them on board, you should be fine. Unless you keep your upgrade within the limits of your motherboard (GA-Z170X-UD3 is compatible with 6th and 7th Gen Intel Proc), newer processor requires new motherboard and even if you can keep the memory (probably your DDR4 will work with the newer CPU), it will add up to certain amount of money. It's up to you.

Just remember that beyond changing individual components like adding memory, SSD or gfx card, it's rather re-build than upgrade. Small incremental changes are cheaper. The effort to make a new hackintosh should be paid back in the form of general increase of speed/power and overall capability. I don't upgrade unless I'm not satisfied with the performance. For instance, I replaced my mac books pro, when I've got new camera with bigger sensor and my computer couldn't handle this. Diminishing performance slows down the workflow and makes work unpleasant, so that was justified to upgrade and increase performance to the previous level. The other factor could be the change of display. If you planing to move from full HD to 4K, than you should use the new revision of display port or HDMI which may not be supported by the old graphics card or on board graphics/IO.

In your case it could be just fine to get Vega 56 or if money is not a problem than Vega 64. Other than this prepare to spend more money on components (new processor = new mother board) and reserve some time to do that from scratch.

Last edited:
Switch to UHD Graphics, save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back