Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I built a Hackintosh with i7 4790K with Gigabyte GA Z97X UDH TH MoBo. I tried EVGA 740SC GPU but it had issues with system booting. The second monitor would go blank of there will be kernel panic. I sent the card back.

Without that GPU everything works like a charm.

However I just purchased another 1080p monitor and when I run Handbrake or other Graphics incentive app such as Adobe PS/LR/Premiere. The system seems to heat up and it restarts. I think the CPU is heating up and can't handle the load.

So I want to know that do two 1080p monitor cause extra load on the CPU's inbuilt graphics? Do I need a dedicated GPU to run two monitors? I want to make clear that I don't play games. However I will be using this system for film-editing and transcoding.

So my questions are:

1. Do I need a dedicated GPU if I plan to use two HD monitors?
2. Is there anything else to be done to stop Mac from restarting/heating up?
3. Which cards work out of the box (740 SC didn't work well) and since I dont plan to play game I don't want to buy super expensive card.

Thanks

Are you using the stock Intel cooler or something else ?

Running dual 1080p monitors on the HD4600 graphics should not be causing your
cpu to overheat. If the thermal paste wasn't applied appropriately on a 3rd party
cooler or it isn't seated properly that can cause overheating. We need more info
on all of your hardware to trouble shoot this. The GT 740 should also work with
no problems out of box with that system so it's likely that your bios wasn't set
properly or you may have installed some wrong kexts with multibeast. If you can
post which kexts you chose in multibeast that would be helpful too.

Are you using the stock Intel cooler or something else ?

Running dual 1080p monitors on the HD4600 graphics should not be causing your
cpu to overheat. If the thermal paste wasn't applied appropriately on a 3rd party
cooler or it isn't seated properly that can cause overheating. We need more info
on all of your hardware to trouble shoot this.

I am using Zalman dual fans [1]. The paste was also applied properly. I just checked again and adjusted fans to ensure airflow (to ensure fans are not crossing each other's flow).

The issue crop up if I am trying to transcode videos using Handbrake.

The GT 740 should also work with no problems out of box with that system so it's likely that your bios wasn't set properly

In BIOS I had disabled VT, Choose profile 1 for memory and set PICe 1 slot as initial graphics. That's what I think is all we needed. It was hit and miss with GT 740 ever since I started using the built in graphics no problem.

or you may have installed some wrong kexts with multibeast. If you can
post which kexts you chose in multibeast that would be helpful too.

I installed kext for Audio ALC 1150, 3rd party Sata, Intel Network.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Performa-Cooling-CNPS10X-PERFORMA/dp/B00350O5DK/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1427597058&sr=1-9&keywords=zalman+dual+fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back