Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
GTX 760
Hi everybody. I was wondering if I have a really crappy 3770k chip or I'm doing something wrong. I have a UD5H motherboard and a hyper 212 cooler. Here are my specs, and the voltage I get in cpuz is 1.32 at full load. Pretty bad for 4.5ghz.
vcore=normal
frequency=4.5ghz
offset=-.005
LLC=medium

Temperatures are under 80 degrees under full load. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

None of this is surprising running a 3770 @4.5 on air... If you must abuse your hardware that badly, buy better cooling...

None of this is surprising running a 3770 @4.5 on air... If you must abuse your hardware that badly, buy better cooling...
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I was just surprised considering most people only needed around 1.25V. Personally I never considered an over clock of 4.5ghz to be that abusive.

I stepped back the multiplier to 4.4ghz and it now will run at a 1.272 vcore under full loaf. Still really bad, but I think ill stick to this, because I plan to run this 24/7.

Thanks,
Aaron

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I was just surprised considering most people only needed around 1.25V. Personally I never considered an over clock of 4.5ghz to be that abusive.

I stepped back the multiplier to 4.4ghz and it now will run at a 1.272 vcore under full loaf. Still really bad, but I think ill stick to this, because I plan to run this 24/7.

Thanks,
Aaron

Not sure I'd trust that cpu-z reading. 4.5ghz on >1.3v with temps below 80 with a CM212 is a strange combination, almost unbelievable (not questioning you, just the volt reading). That's a really good result for that cooler.

In any event, when using an offset, you can usually get better results using a lower LLC setting (and if necessary a higher offset). So, if you're willing to tinker, I'd try that.

Don't use auto voltage that's your problem with the voltage the second is that you are using a lower end cooler and expecting really low temps

Not sure I'd trust that cpu-z reading. 4.5ghz on >1.3v with temps below 80 with a CM212 is a strange combination, almost unbelievable (not questioning you, just the volt reading). That's a really good result for that cooler.

In any event, when using an offset, you can usually get better results using a lower LLC setting (and if necessary a higher offset). So, if you're willing to tinker, I'd try that.
Yeah! I was wondering the same thing. Usually voltages this high require high end cooling, yet I'm getting decent temps. If the voltage is wrong, that would explain my poor results and the low temps. I will pull out my multimeter and measure my voltages directly off the board, ill get back to you guys on the result.

Thanks a ton for that tip. Ill try it out and see how that goes.

edit: I checked voltages with my meter and they are correct within 0.003V or so. These results are very strange, that my vcore has to be so high, yet my temps are pretty low. Would it be worth exchanging my cpu? Just an update 4.4ghz actually requires 1.296V, temps with prime95 extreme heat are around 70C. Thanks a ton.

Don't use auto voltage that's your problem with the voltage the second is that you are using a lower end cooler and expecting really low temps
I'm not using auto voltage nor am I expecting low temps having to use such a high voltage. Instead I'm using offset voltage, their is a difference. It's true I'm using a low end cooler, but I'm not doing any extreme OC'ing I just want to go to 4.5 ghz, which this cooler should be able to handle.

Capture.jpgHere is a screenshot running prime95 along with realtemp and cpuz.

Why do you care about voltage more than temps?

Temperatures are what matters for long-term life of your processor. Maybe you happened to get a 3770k with a great die-heatspreader interface.

No way I'd return that chip (unless you're willing to risk de-lidding the one you get). You might indeed get one that can do 4.5 on less volts, but it may require better cooling.

I think the odds of getting another chip that can do 4.5 with sub 80 temps, with that cooler are near zero.

Why do you care about voltage more than temps?

Temperatures are what matters for long-term life of your processor. Maybe you happened to get a 3770k with a great die-heatspreader interface.

No way I'd return that chip (unless you're willing to risk de-lidding the one you get). You might indeed get one that can do 4.5 on less volts, but it may require better cooling.

I think the odds of getting another chip that can do 4.5 with sub 80 temps, with that cooler are near zero.
I really appreciate your insight!:)

Yeah, I guess, I'm sure voltages play a part too. But I dont understand how a better die-heatspreader interface can have a such a drastic effect on temperatres. Maybe it has bad temp sensors? I just don't feel comfortable having to push 1.32V through an ivy bridge for 4.5ghz, while almost everybody can do it with 1.25V. It just seems way off, almost as if its a sandy bridge marked as an ivy bridge. I tried underclocking it at stock settings and it was stable only up till 1.1V, I've read people going as low as 0.9V at the stock settings and stable.

I'm still within the 30 days, so Id have to exchange it soon or else I'll have to go through intel:banghead:. I would rather have one that operates normally, then one that requires obscure voltages but stays reasonably cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back