i7-4770
Graphics
GTX780
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does any one knows how to DIY a server/NAS that is compatible with apple's time machine??

I am using my macbook for studying as well as work. I am currently hooking a 2.5 inch HDD to my laptop so that I can have a time machine back up.

But sometime it gets annoying. You didn't plug it firmly, the drive did not register correctly, it was supposed to be shown as a time machine backup, but it shows itself as a normal hard drive, so I have to unplug it and plug it back in etc.

The reason I do not want to buy a actual server is that, it is too expensive, plus if I can build one for a cheaper price, and enjoy myself while DIYing it, why the heck not. Plus that I have a hard drive that I am currently not in use.

I am a total noob for all these NAS related stuff. Do you guys have any suggestion? What about the cost?? The OS I need to run??? I knew that Linus introduced an OS that is free, but it is in windows. So... I don't know whether this is doable.

Any advice??? thanks! Also I can probably save up $100 every month. So. That is my budget. I don't mind waiting for a few months. Just letting you guys know.

My Synology DS115j NAS provides Time Machine services.
You can use a Raspberry Pi too.
FreeNAS is another possibility.

This can be very easily done using just a normal hack. No special considerations except the amount and quality of the mass storage it contains.

I have a small ITX size NAS/server machine here that provides all manner of network services and has 4Tb of mass storage for whatever I deem fit to put on there. Its fast, totally silent, and everything runs over a local gigabit ethernet network.

If you can put an ITX build together, it really is all you would need.

Does any one knows how to DIY a server/NAS that is compatible with apple's time machine??

I am using my macbook for studying as well as work. I am currently hooking a 2.5 inch HDD to my laptop so that I can have a time machine back up.

But sometime it gets annoying. You didn't plug it firmly, the drive did not register correctly, it was supposed to be shown as a time machine backup, but it shows itself as a normal hard drive, so I have to unplug it and plug it back in etc.

The reason I do not want to buy a actual server is that, it is too expensive, plus if I can build one for a cheaper price, and enjoy myself while DIYing it, why the heck not. Plus that I have a hard drive that I am currently not in use.

I am a total noob for all these NAS related stuff. Do you guys have any suggestion? What about the cost?? The OS I need to run??? I knew that Linus introduced an OS that is free, but it is in windows. So... I don't know whether this is doable.

Any advice??? thanks! Also I can probably save up $100 every month. So. That is my budget. I don't mind waiting for a few months. Just letting you guys know.

Ive build a NAS out of a H97M-D3H, Core i3 3470 loaded with 9TBs 2 Ethernet cards running the Server App.. I use it for Time Machine backups, running a Kodi server on it, iTunes sharing etc also set up a VPN so i can access it when I'm out and about. Its quite good i found that building a hack is cheaper than those NAS enclosures themselves.

Ive build a NAS out of a H97M-D3H, Core i3 3470 loaded with 9TBs 2 Ethernet cards running the Server App.. I use it for Time Machine backups, running a Kodi server on it, iTunes sharing etc also set up a VPN so i can access it when I'm out and about. Its quite good i found that building a hack is cheaper than those NAS enclosures themselves.
. Could you make a more detailed list about what components you used? And how much ram did you put in? What ethernet card you are using?? The model of it? And also, what server app?? Care to explain more?? I'm pretty noob about this. Is this the kodi server you were mentioned??? http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-build-your-own-kodi-media-streaming-box-1316551

. Could you make a more detailed list about what components you used? And how much ram did you put in? What ethernet card you are using?? The model of it? And also, what server app?? Care to explain more?? I'm pretty noob about this. Is this the kodi server you were mentioned??? http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-build-your-own-kodi-media-streaming-box-1316551

Ive set up Kodi on the NAS as a UpNp (Universal Plug & Play Server) so i can watch my movies and music on my Zgemma box and on my Raspberry Pi. Components I've used are, H97N-D3H , Core i3 4360, 8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz, Intel 82576 2 Port Ethernet Card its a HP Ethernet card which works perfect. 3x 3TB NAS Drives. Im using the Server App which can be downloaded from the Mac App Store. If you're only using a hack as a Time Machine back up machine then you wont need the Server App. Only using the Server App as i needed more services such as the VPN, FTTP service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back