Contribute
Register

Ditch GTX 650 (constant video corruption). What card to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX
CPU
i5 8600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Can't get past video corruption on my GTX 650 after upgrading to Mojave. Need Mojave to support a new camera.

What replacement card would you guys recommend? Cheaper is better but stable is a must.

Thanks Adrian, Is this a straight swap or do I have to install different kexts or plist settings? I'm a noob at this and will have to talk someone through installing it over the phone! I have plist here though, what should I check?

What replacement card would you guys recommend? Cheaper is better but stable is a must.
Cheapest you can go is a GT 710 for about 40 USD. It would be a simple swap out from your 650 as it's also a Kepler card with native support. The 570s cost closer to 130 to 150 USD for a new one. The 570 is preferred over the GT 710 if the CustoMac owner will game in Windows. A 710 isn't good for any gaming other than solitaire or tetris.

Here's about the best 570 deal right now on Newegg. $145 AR.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-570-rx-570-armor-8g-oc/p/N82E16814137256

A Red Dragon goes for $130 and would also get the job done for general use and some gaming/video editing.

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-570-axrx-570-4gbd5-3dhd-oc/p/N82E16814131717

Last edited:
You can install Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts from the Downloads section

Thanks guys. I'm going to stick with the RX 570 as this machine is used for Lightroom and Photoshop and needs a little bit of graphics grunt. Also I've already organised buying a 2nd hand one!

The machine already has Lilu installed but I don't think it has Whatevergreen. Will it boot as is or will I need to make changes to the machine before the cards are swapped? trs96 seems to imply it will work but Adrian, are you suggesting that I'll need Whatevergreen to boot?

It should boot fine without Whatevergreen. You can select Whatevergreen from the latest MultiBeast - just don't select anything else.

Hackintool is a great app to use, it helps to see what your system is doing, how graphics are configured and what kext versions you are running.

Thanks guys, worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back