Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare-OC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Just setup a new hackintosh that is running great! Except for this one thing....

When I came to my computer this morning, it had initiated Display Sleep but I couldn't wake it up, even though the computer was running fine otherwise. (Software was responsive, I could hear sound effects and notifications).

I had to unplug/replug the HDMI cable from my Vega 64 and then it woke up. That seems pretty specific – does anyone know how to fix this?

(Mojave latest)

Last edited:
Update: still happening.

It doesn't happen every time, but 1/3 of the time.

Unplugging/replugging cable from TV doesn't help, but unplugging/replugging from the Graphics Card does.

I tried a new, high-build-quality HDMI cable.
And I tried disabling Computer Sleep.

Both didn't work.

I tried a new, high-build-quality HDMI cable.
And I tried disabling Computer Sleep.

Both didn't work.
Try disabling Serial port?

Thank you @DuyL

Never heard of this - do you mean the BIOS setting?

Attached is a screenshot from my mobo's manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-08 13.48.12.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-08 13.48.12.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 112
Just setup a new hackintosh that is running great! Except for this one thing....

When I came to my computer this morning, it had initiated Display Sleep but I couldn't wake it up, even though the computer was running fine otherwise. (Software was responsive, I could hear sound effects and notifications).

I had to unplug/replug the HDMI cable from my Vega 64 and then it woke up. That seems pretty specific – does anyone know how to fix this?

(Mojave latest)

I've had this problem for over a year, it happens mostly with macOS but also at times with the bios and windows. It seems to be a inherent problem with AMD graphics cards, it's happened with RX580, Vega, and 5700XT. Seems it's the combination of AMD and my Samsung display, but I've seen this problem posted about so often it seems widespread.

Wish I had a solution, the type of connection and even cable can make it better or worse. It also oddly is how long the display has been a sleep. Currently using display port using USC type C display cable from my thunderbolt card that is connect to my display adapter. At least with this I only have to turn the monitor on and off, most of the time.

My best suggestion is to try difference cables and in particular different ports on the graphics card. You can get an adapter to go from display port to HDMI.

Thanks @Shiitaki, glad to hear it's not just me :thumbup:

I'm using a 43" 4k Sony TV.
My best suggestion is to try difference cables and in particular different ports on the graphics card. You can get an adapter to go from display port to HDMI.

I actually have a DP → HDMI adapter from my last rig, I'll try that now and post if it doesn't work.

I just upgraded from my GTX 970 to a RX 5700 XT and I am also having this issue. I am a novice when it comes to AMD cards (last one I owned was a Radeon X1900 XT in a MacPro1,1).

Thank you @DuyL

Never heard of this - do you mean the BIOS setting?

Attached is a screenshot from my mobo's manual.
This is the setting in BIOS yes. I experienced the same issue on my 5700XT so I had to force display never goes to sleep because I don't want to unplug display every single damn time. My BIOS cannot disable that opt unfortunately but I read a lot of articles and people been saying it's the opt causing the issue. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you ;)
On my side, I have to live with it, someone Gigabyte decided to hide that option from bios 9 (since I bought Z390).

Gigabyte decided to hide that option from bios 9 (since I bought Z390)

I have the Gigabyte Z390 Designare, and that screenshot was from my manual. I'm surprised it isn't in their Z390 Gaming edition.

If this DisplayPort → HDMI adapter fix doesn't work, I will try that and let you know.

It's only been 24 hours but it's working so far. I won't know for another 3-4 days.

For reference, I'm using this adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S0C7QO8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I'm not sure if it's still available, but there are similar ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back