Contribute
Register

Display port on Gigabyte Z490 I Aorus Ultra with 10th gen CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel DQ77MK
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
HD4000
Hello, I currently have Catalina running on an Intel DQ77MK motherboard with i5-3570K Ivy Bridge CPU in a small form factor VESA mATX case. There is no space in the case for a graphics card, so I'm using the iGPU output via the display port. Works well but I want to upgrade to a later OS.

I don't have the space in my room for a desktop or tower build and I can't find any of the mATX motherboards on the buyers guide, so I'm thinking of building a CustoMac Mini in my existing case using a Gigabyte Z490 I Aorus Ultra with a 10th gen CPU and plugging my monitor into the display port as present, but some of the posts on here suggest that you can't use the graphics ports on the motherboard, and can only get this to work correctly with a separate graphics card.

Clover was easy to set up on the DQ77MK with the help of the information on this site, but I don't have any experience of using opencore. I did try it in place of Clover but couldn't get past the Apple logo so obviously don't have great debugging skills! I came across this thread though that seems to say you can use the iGPU and the display port on this board.

So what are your thoughts? Will I be wasting my time buying this setup given that I only have a small budget?

Z490 + 10th generation has a working iGPU, and is the last generation that works in your proposed build. Go ahead while supply lasts.
OpenCore is easy… if you take your time and follow Dortania's guide carefully. But remember Clover still works with the latest hardware and the latest macOS: If you know how to install and set Clover up manually there's no imperative reason to switch to OpenCore.

Not disagreeing with @etorix, however upgrading my build to z490 Vision D and OpenCore was a fantastic experience. If anything, too little tinkering for my taste! ;)
I was able to set up a production-ready machine in a day, and it's been running flawlessly for two weeks now. So just a recommendation for z490 and OpenCore.

Thanks @etorix and @e-troc, I've taken the plunge and ordered a motherboard. Looking forward to the challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back