Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Display Issues with Safari and Chrome in OpenCore Catalina Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The config.plist looks OK, bar the device-id entry for the IGPU. I don't think you need it.

Your IOReg won't open with the older versions of IORegistryExplorer, gives the usual IOReg corrupt message. I managed to open it with a newer version, which I didn't even know I had on my server. MacOS automatically gave me the option to use this other version of the app to open your IOReg, which was fortunate.

Your IGPU settings show you have an Nvidia driver setting enabled, which shouldn't be the case.

This may be a carry over from a previous Clover installation or when you tried using the old Nvidia card. As you don't have the Nvidia Web Drivers enabled in your config.plist.

I would recommend your use the CleanNvram option on the OC Boot screen, you need to enable the CleanNvram tool in your config.plist. Followed by the NvramReset tool. Might be wise to enable the ResetSystem tool too, so you can force a reboot after the Nvram settings have been reset/cleared.

After doing this can you post a copy of your IOReg, but this time use the application linked in this guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

Don't use the one you have installed, actually you would be best served removing that version altogether from your system.

Last edited:
all done!!

in attach that you requested
I'll wait for your feedback

thx very much for you kind support

Attachments

• Maurizio’s iMac.ioreg
    4.2 MB · Views: 56
  • config.plist
    28.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I have gone through your new IOReg and the config.plist you provided, and have a few questions and observations.

Graphics:
  1. How are you connecting your display to the motherboard, HDMI or DisplayPort?
  2. Which cable are you using?
  3. Are you using an adapter?
  4. What resolution are you showing on your display? Is this the resolution you want to use?
  5. Your IOReg shows the correct framebuffer for your UHD 630 IGPU is being used <07009B3E>.
  6. I don't think you need the device-id entry in the DeviceProptertes section of your config.plist, <00005C9B>. As you are not trying to fake a compatible IGPU. Your IGPU is already compatible with macOS.
  7. I would recommend that you add the framebuffer-stolenmem = <00003001> entry to the DeviceProperties for your IGPU. As recommended when using the IGPU to drive a display in macOS.
Audio:
  1. You need to change the boot argument alcid=<layout-id> to alcid=1 or whichever layout-id works with the Audio codec in your system - Realtek ALC S1220A.
  2. I don't think you need the CodecCommander.kext for the built-in audio to work.
  3. I would recommend you try removing this kext or just disable the config.plist entry that is currently enabling this kext, to see if it is required.
USB:
  1. As you don't have a custom USB Configuration for your system you need to enable the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry in your config.plist.
  2. Currently you have no USB3 ports enabled, just 15 x USB2 ports.
  3. These are the first 15 ports the system is finding and activating, in line with Apple's enforced 15 port limit. So none of your USB3 or USB Type-C ports are active.
  4. I would recommend once you have sorted your IGPU issues that you have a read and follow this USB Configuration guide by UtterDisbelief - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
SSD Trim:
  1. I would recommend that you enable the Kernel > Quirks > ThirdPartyDrives entry in your config.plist.
  2. This will enable TRIM to work on your SSD 870 QVO drive.
  3. This may be a Windows drive but the TRIM entry should still be enabled.
Confirm the answers to the questions asked in the graphics section.

Try changing your setup to include these points and see if it makes any difference.

THX for your excellent responses to my issues. I appreciate those very much!!!

1. How are you connecting your display to the motherboard, HDMI or DisplayPort? HDMI
  2. Which cable are you using? HDMI cable provided with Samsung 27'' monitor (monitor port is HDMI 1.4b)
  3. Are you using an adapter? NO
  4. What resolution are you showing on your display? Is this the resolution you want to use? 1920x1080 (effective resolution of the screen seems lower - see attached photo)
I did all you adviced me, except deleting device-id (because after do that, I got blackscreen)

After restored device-id, booting was ok

I tried to change HDMI cable also (with another one I have) but the result was the same :(

in attach the files after editing you suggested

Attachments

• config.plist
    27.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Maurizio’s iMac.ioreg
    4.2 MB · Views: 46
  • Schermata 2021-03-30 alle 20.54.21.png
    Schermata 2021-03-30 alle 20.54.21.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 21.01.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 21.01.27.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Have you disabled CFG-Lock in your bios? If not, you need to set Kernel > Quirks > AppleXcpmCfgLock to True, you have it disabled in your config.plist.

Misc > Debug > DisableWatchDog is set to false in your config.plist. The OC guide for a Comet Lake system says to set this as True.

If you want to remove the NvramReset icon from the OC Picker list this can be done by changing Misc > Security > AllowNvramReset from True to false.

10 x USB3 ports are now showing in your IOReg, along with the 16 x USB2 ports, which is what I would expect to see if all the USB ports were active. When creating the custom USB Configuration for your system the 26 ports will need to be reduced to 15. So you will need to see which ports you use and which you can live without when running macOS.

I have attached a revised config.plist with the three changes listed above, enabled/disabled as required.

I have also cleaned up the config.plist, removing a number of placeholder entries that are not required for your system. This makes reading and navigating the config.plist a bit easier.

About the only other thing I can think might make any difference is changing the AAPL,ig-platform-id from <07009B3E> to <00009B3E>, sometimes this alternative (mobile) framebuffer entry works better than the default desktop framebuffer. I haven't included this change in the attached config.plist, as you may have already tried this alternative framebuffer.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 61
Have you disabled CFG-Lock in your bios? If not, you need to set Kernel > Quirks > AppleXcpmCfgLock to True, you have it disabled in your config.plist.

Misc > Debug > DisableWatchDog is set to false in your config.plist. The OC guide for a Comet Lake system says to set this as True.

If you want to remove the NvramReset icon from the OC Picker list this can be done by changing Misc > Security > AllowNvramReset from True to false.

10 x USB3 ports are now showing in your IOReg, along with the 16 x USB2 ports, which is what I would expect to see if all the USB ports were active. When creating the custom USB Configuration for your system the 26 ports will need to be reduced to 15. So you will need to see which ports you use and which you can live without when running macOS.

I have attached a revised config.plist with the three changes listed above, enabled/disabled as required.

I have also cleaned up the config.plist, removing a number of placeholder entries that are not required for your system. This makes reading and navigating the config.plist a bit easier.

About the only other thing I can think might make any difference is changing the AAPL,ig-platform-id from <07009B3E> to <00009B3E>, sometimes this alternative (mobile) framebuffer entry works better than the default desktop framebuffer. I haven't included this change in the attached config.plist, as you may have already tried this alternative framebuffer.
no way man
VDADecoder checker still return same error
same visualisation issues
all still remain the same :(

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 23.09.32.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 23.09.32.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 32
That isn't saying your system can'y decode H264 video. That is saying there was an error.

Can you try this link - VDADecoderChecker (opens new window)

Also you may want to try this application - VideoProc - https://www.videoproc.com

If you install VideoProc (Trial version) what does it say about your system?

My Haswell system shows that H264 is enabled but HEVC is not, you need a Skylake or newer CPU for both to available.

Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 22.31.25.png

This screen can be found by selecting the System icon in the bottom right corner of the main screen in VideoProc.
Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 22.33.37.png

Then select the 'Options' button on the next screen.
Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 22.33.52.png

See what this app says.

hi
I installed a brand new dGPU Nvidia K420 in Headless mode right now

many things works fine now!!:

- safari is ok now
- apps not showing correctly some items work fine right now

I did what you suggested me. I installed Videoproc

I got the screen attached

VDADecoder I downloaded ad you told me still returns the same error as photo attached

Do I have to install Nvidia Web Drivers

PS. I have i7 - 10700K Comet Lake installed

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 14.59.07.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 14.59.07.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 14.59.34.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 14.59.34.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 36
  • config.plist
    19.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Maurizio’s iMac.ioreg
    4.7 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
No you don't need to install the NVIDIA Web Drivers as the Quadro K420 is natively supported in macOS up to and including Big Sur.

It is not a high-end dGPU by any means but should be good for general computing some CAD work and some light graphics work. The K420 is at the low end of the Kepler Quadro series of GPU's, this card was released in July 2014.

Your IGPU should show in the heading above the two Acceleration icons on the VideoProc screenshot. Your K420 is showing instead.

Your config.plist shows you have the IGPU enabled and are using a framebuffer that would support driving a display <07009B3E>. It should be set with a headless framebuffer <0300923E>, i.e. the display should be connected to the K420 not the IGPU with the IGPU used for Quick Sync (Encoding and Decoding) and other compute processes.

Change the AAPL,ig-platform-id to a headless framebuffer and try again.

Many thx for yout often deeply explanations!! Very good!! Your help was very appreciated.
I’m quite satisfied of the result I reached then it’s ok
Apps I use run work fine and
This is enough :)
Happy Easter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back