Contribute
Register

Display brightness slider not showing up in system preferences on a Qosmio X775-3DV78 laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Toshiba PGRAA
CPU
Intel i7-2860QM
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I’ve gone old school and just about successfully installed El Capitan on my 2011 laptop.
So far I’ve been able to get my trackpad, keyboard/touchbar, usb 2.0/3.0, cd drive, web camera, bluetooth, wifi, ethernet, and speakers working.

I’ve been busy trying to get the display brightness slider to show up without any success whatsoever.

I first followed this method with zero success strangely:

I’ve currently now resorted to this method but it doesn’t seem to fix the problem either.

It appears as though my configuration sees my display as external, instead of internal, and I wonder if that could be a part of the problem.

I’ve attached three files:

1) A screenshot showing my current display settings window along with a preview of other information.
2) My EFI folder which contains the second method used.
3) My ioregistry export file.

Just incase this is relevant (the cause of) to my problem:
I had no idea how QE/CI worked whilst reading the first method and couldn’t find much information on it online. I assumed that it was already implemented due to an excellent refresh rate/transparency with Nvidia graphics enabled (Blender runs great). Without the Nvidia graphics enabled, the screen resolution drops, the refresh rate is garbage with banding, and the transparency is nonexistant. And I have no idea if this is related or is an entirely separate problem which I can write about in another thread, but the Nvidia graphics kext doesn’t work consistently with each and every boot. Sometimes I get a black screen or a restart and other times I can boot with Nvidia graphics without any sort of problems (I have to consistently rebuild the cache praying that I won’t get a kernel panic during the next boot). Sometimes I just boot without graphics and it works everytime...
(The kexts attached are also installed within the extensions folder of the operating system.)

I’m hoping that this is all just something stupid that I missed while reading the instructions, but because this laptop is from 2011, I also wonder if there could be compatibility issues with the brightness kexts for me. I don’t think that there is an issue with the compatibility of Lilu and Whatevergreen kext for me because I know that they have to be loaded in order for my Nvidia graphics patch to work correctly.

Attachments

• Configuration Overview.png
    Configuration Overview.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
  • EFI.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
  • Qosmio X775-3DV78.ioreg
    9.5 MB · Views: 130
I’ve gone old school and just about successfully installed El Capitan on my 2011 laptop.
So far I’ve been able to get my trackpad, keyboard/touchbar, usb 2.0/3.0, cd drive, web camera, bluetooth, wifi, ethernet, and speakers working.

I’ve been busy trying to get the display brightness slider to show up without any success whatsoever.

I first followed this method with zero success strangely:

I’ve currently now resorted to this method but it doesn’t seem to fix the problem either.

It appears as though my configuration sees my display as external, instead of internal, and I wonder if that could be a part of the problem.

I’ve attached three files:

1) A screenshot showing my current display settings window along with a preview of other information.
2) My EFI folder which contains the second method used.
3) My ioregistry export file.

Just incase this is relevant (the cause of) to my problem:
I had no idea how QE/CI worked whilst reading the first method and couldn’t find much information on it online. I assumed that it was already implemented due to an excellent refresh rate/transparency with Nvidia graphics enabled (Blender runs great). Without the Nvidia graphics enabled, the screen resolution drops, the refresh rate is garbage with banding, and the transparency is nonexistant. And I have no idea if this is related or is an entirely separate problem which I can write about in another thread, but the Nvidia graphics kext doesn’t work consistently with each and every boot. Sometimes I get a black screen or a restart and other times I can boot with Nvidia graphics without any sort of problems (I have to consistently rebuild the cache praying that I won’t get a kernel panic during the next boot). Sometimes I just boot without graphics and it works everytime...
(The kexts attached are also installed within the extensions folder of the operating system.)

I’m hoping that this is all just something stupid that I missed while reading the instructions, but because this laptop is from 2011, I also wonder if there could be compatibility issues with the brightness kexts for me. I don’t think that there is an issue with the compatibility of Lilu and Whatevergreen kext for me because I know that they have to be loaded in order for my Nvidia graphics patch to work correctly.
with Nvidia, no native brightness controller is available as mentioned in the requirements:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back