Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Disks not showing up after Mojave upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached are a different format of debug files, in case that helps. One file booted when disks loaded, and one without.

Attachments

• with_disks-debug_20640.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
  • without_disks-debug_18181.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
Hmm, I just tried booting without AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext and AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA.kext and System Report only shows Generic AHCI Controllers. No Intel 20 Series Chipset. See attached screenshots with and without kexts for comparisons.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 10.26.59 pm copy.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-28 at 10.28.08 am.png

The diskutil output shows the disks are visible to the system i.e. no hardware problem. They're just not mounting.

Your drives are ZFS. This is basically the only difference between your system and mine. Okay, I don't have an NVMe, instead everything on the same SATA AFPS SSD but anyway.

I think something has changed in Mojave for ZFS. Or at least that's the difference that's stands out for me. There're some ZFS threads on here and more elsewhere. I'd look at them, see what they say about Mojave.

maybe a misunderstanding - the issue is that, seemingly at random, there is no sign of the disks in `diskutil list` and then a few reboots later, there is. this is a low-level MacOS issue...

on a clean Mojave install, before the zfs kext is installed, MacOS offers me to `initialize` the disks if they are recognised by MacOS. on this basis I do not think zfs is the issue, which, FWIW, was updated for Mojave long ago and is has been stable for me on my other system.

---

I have now been able to test, with the NVMe drive removed and only a SATA boot drive and 1 8TB SATA disk - the same issue persists. The boot drive is recognised and boots, attached to "Generic AHCI Controller" without AHCI kexts and "Intel 20 Series Chipset" with AHCI kexts. The 8TB SATA disk does not show up after many reboots...

To be clear, the SATA 8TB disk does not appear in `diskutil list` most of the time - and it seems that when booting from a SATA drive on the motherboard, not at all. I don't know what to make of that.

this would appear to also rule out NVMe is being the issue.

Xmark, can you tell me what BIOS version you are using?

Xmark, can you tell me what BIOS version you are using?

It's F10. I tried to go to F11 but it didn't work and @b166ar tried F12 but that didn't work either.

Okay, I read about your disks not showing up even in diskutil. Well I just don't know. The only similar thing I experienced was the first version of 10.14 when USB 3 failed and sometimes devices were visible and sometimes not. But the SSDT mapping the USB ports that I made following @RehabMan 's guide fixed that.

I dunno :confused:

For what it's worth, I have been trying a bunch of old SATA/AHCI kexts to no avail.

My current setup is to boot from the NVMe with a single SATA disk connected to motherboard. It shows up sometimes.

I am wondering if this is somehow related to Aptio or some other boot memory limitation for assigning devices...

For reference, my current boot system is fresh 10.14.4 with b166ar's EFI/kexts after changing SMBIOS to iMac18,1 and ig to 0x3e9b0007

Last edited:
Progress! (sort of) Disk showing up are no longer "random"!

I have discovered a way to ensure the disks always show up. Update the BIOS. After a `FAST` BIOS update to F10, the disks always show up on the first boot, but not subsequent boots.

This would imply something lingering in NVRAM? Not sure what to do with this information, but I hope someone can help point me in the right direction!

Last edited:
Further clarification:

Testing with SATA APFS disks, they show up every time. The issue is therefore limited to ZFS disks.

so, Clover/MacOS only recognises the ZFS disks after a CMOS flash/BIOS update. On subsequent boots, clover does not scan and MacOS does not recognise the disks.

When missing, the disks do not show up in `diskutil list`. Maybe forcing Clover to somehow refresh its scan/cache every boot would be a workaround?

Attaching debug files from a working system with all disks present.

Attachments

• debug_28395.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • EssentialsList-2019-03-30 15.49.08.zip
    397.3 KB · Views: 65
the APFS disks show up every time.

Yep. They should do.

A pretty dumb guess by me is to put the zfs.kext into your EFI partition i.e. EFI/Clover/kexts/other alongside the USBInjectAll etc. Clover injects these before it transfers control to the Mac itself. Perhaps that might make the disks get picked up before MacOS boots. But it's a long shot. Probably more is needed ... maybe something in the config.plist ... you need the forum brainiacs :geek: for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back