Contribute
Register

DISK I/O Error while boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My High Sierra Clover produces a DISK I/O Error while it boots up. The installer does start but I can't see my disk only the USB drive. Disk Uitility in terminal shows them but when I try to format it returns an error message.

Are there any new kexts I need? My machine is an Acer M6610G and my Sierra build works fine.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

My High Sierra Clover produces a DISK I/O Error while it boots up. The installer does start but I can't see my disk only the USB drive. Disk Uitility in terminal shows them but when I try to format it returns an error message.

Are there any new kexts I need? My machine is an Acer M6610G and my Sierra build works fine.

Thanks for the help.

• Unless you can specify this Proprietary Desktop PC's CPU, Graphics Chip, Ethernet Chip and Audio Chip, and your BIOS options, it will be difficult to give you any specific help; you will have to wait for someone with the same system to come and assist you.
My High Sierra Clover produces a DISK I/O Error while it boots up.
  • This is often due to your "Booting disk" (in this case High Sierra USB Installer disk ) is not set as # 1 in Boot Option Priorities in the BIOS and /OR there are "bogus /phantom" disks in the Boot Menu screen before the USB installer has a chance to boot.
  • What boot Mode ( Legacy or UEFI) you had chosen to create the High Sierra USB installer?
Disk Uitility in terminal shows them but when I try to format it returns an error message.
  • What error are you getting when you try to format?
  • Please take a Photo of any and all error screens and upload them to this Forum using [Upload a File] button at the bottom of this message box.

• Unless you can specify this Proprietary Desktop PC's CPU, Graphics Chip, Ethernet Chip and Audio Chip, and your BIOS options, it will be difficult to give you any specific help; you will have to wait for someone with the same system to come and assist you.
  • This is often due to your "Booting disk" (in this case High Sierra USB Installer disk ) is not set as # 1 in Boot Option Priorities in the BIOS and /OR there are "bogus /phantom" disks in the Boot Menu screen before the USB installer has a chance to boot.
  • What boot Mode ( Legacy or UEFI) you had chosen to create the High Sierra USB installer?
  • What error are you getting when you try to format?
  • Please take a Photo of any and all error screens and upload them to this Forum using [Upload a File] button at the bottom of this message box.

• PC is an Acer M6610G with an i7-2600K, NVIDIA GTX 1060, Intel 82579LM, Realtek ALC662-VC
  • Booting disk is not an issue. I can select it with F12 and the USB clover launches.
  • Boot Mode is Lagacy, since my old mb does not support UEFI
  • Error when I try to format the disk in HS installer is: "unable to write to the last block of the device"
Thanks for you help

Thanks but sadly none of this works. I tried to format the disk to JHFS+ GBT/MBR and NTFS GBT/MBR under my Sierra but they didn't show up in the installer. When I try to format the disk in 10.13.1 installer I get "unable to write to the last block of the device"

Anything else I can try?

I tried to format the disk to JHFS+ GBT/MBR and NTFS GBT/MBR under my Sierra but they didn't show up in the installer. When I try to format the disk in 10.13.1 installer I get "unable to write to the last block of the device"
The above is not very clear to me because many things in the sentence are left unsaid for readers to make the right guess!

I am going to interpret the above as follows:
  • In a working macOS sierra booted with a High Sierra USB installer, in the Installation screen's disk utility , the expected options to format the blank disk (SATA Spin or SSD) in JHFS+GPT ( I think GBT was a typo) and NTFS GPT/MBR were not available. As a result the disk still connected to that computer's SATA port could not be formatted.
  • When the same computer System was booted with a macOSHighSierra 13.1 USB disk , the needed Partition and format options were available but the formatting process ended in an error "unable to write to the last block of device"
  • In the above scenario you have several options.
    • Connect the disk to that same Hackintosh Sierra computer through a USB to SATA connector
      • Try launching Disk Utility (GUI mode) from Dock and Erase the disk using GPT+HFS+J
      • Launch the Terminal and run the command to Partition in GPT and format using HFS+J
    • Leave the disk connected to SATA port of the Sierra system .
      • Boot the system with High Sierra USB installer to the Installation screen.
      • Select the language.
      • Click "Utilities" from the Top menu bar
      • Select "Terminal" instead of Disk Utility.
      • In the terminal type the following command to identify all disks (SATA Spin |SATA SSD\Optical Discs|USB disks) currently connected and Enabled in the System [Best to keep the number of disks connected to the Target HDD and Installer USB to avoid too many devices over-crowding and showing up in the Disk Utility to cause confusion]
diskutil list
  • From the output locate the Target Hard disk and note its disk ID from under IDENTIFIER column (let us say it is disk0)
  • Now type the following command
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 GPT HFS+J myhighsierrasystemdisk R 0b

In the above note the required single space between the commands
For disk0 you have to use your disk ID from list command output
"partitionDisk" is not a typo in using an uppercase D
instead of "myhighsierrasystemdisk", choose the name you want for your System Disk
The last term in the command is zero b like disk zero​
  • The whole process will be very fast.
  • Once finished , exit Terminal and go to Installation screen to start Installation of macOS High Sierra after license agreement to find the newly formatted disk
The other option is to use Windows diskpart command in Elevated cmd prompt.

"unable to write to the last block of the device" was a fairly common problem some time ago.
IIRC the solution was to format the drive in a different OS and then format it on a Mac / Hack.
There were also reports of firmware upgrades fixing the problem too.
Google for solutions or use the forum Search tool.

The above is not very clear to me because many things in the sentence are left unsaid for readers to make the right guess!

I am going to interpret the above as follows:
  • In a working macOS sierra booted with a High Sierra USB installer, in the Installation screen's disk utility , the expected options to format the blank disk (SATA Spin or SSD) in JHFS+GPT ( I think GBT was a typo) and NTFS GPT/MBR were not available. As a result the disk still connected to that computer's SATA port could not be formatted.
  • When the same computer System was booted with a macOSHighSierra 13.1 USB disk , the needed Partition and format options were available but the formatting process ended in an error "unable to write to the last block of device"
  • In the above scenario you have several options.
    • Connect the disk to that same Hackintosh Sierra computer through a USB to SATA connector
      • Try launching Disk Utility (GUI mode) from Dock and Erase the disk using GPT+HFS+J
      • Launch the Terminal and run the command to Partition in GPT and format using HFS+J
    • Leave the disk connected to SATA port of the Sierra system .
      • Boot the system with High Sierra USB installer to the Installation screen.
      • Select the language.
      • Click "Utilities" from the Top menu bar
      • Select "Terminal" instead of Disk Utility.
      • In the terminal type the following command to identify all disks (SATA Spin |SATA SSD\Optical Discs|USB disks) currently connected and Enabled in the System [Best to keep the number of disks connected to the Target HDD and Installer USB to avoid too many devices over-crowding and showing up in the Disk Utility to cause confusion]
diskutil list
  • From the output locate the Target Hard disk and note its disk ID from under IDENTIFIER column (let us say it is disk0)
  • Now type the following command
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 GPT HFS+J myhighsierrasystemdisk R 0b

In the above note the required single space between the commands
For disk0 you have to use your disk ID from list command output
"partitionDisk" is not a typo in using an uppercase D
instead of "myhighsierrasystemdisk", choose the name you want for your System Disk
The last term in the command is zero b like disk zero​
  • The whole process will be very fast.
  • Once finished , exit Terminal and go to Installation screen to start Installation of macOS High Sierra after license agreement to find the newly formatted disk
The other option is to use Windows diskpart command in Elevated cmd prompt.

Thanks for the response. My results are in the screenshots attached.
This is the Disk I/O error I see while booting
IMG_3915.JPG

This is the error I get in terminal when I try to format the disk.
IMG_3913.JPG

And this is how diskutill displays my drives.
IMG_3914.JPG

When I run the same terminal comman in sierra it works flawless. Idk what I'm doing wrong.

When I run the same terminal comman in sierra it works flawless.
  • If you could partition and format the disk from Sierra Terminal , you have created the needed Partitioned, formatted, and named Target disk for HS installation
  • Just boot the system using the USB installer.
  • No need to go to Disk Utility
  • Select MacOSHighSierra Installation >Licenses Agreement> Locate the previously Formatted and named disk and your Installer Flash disk
  • Select the target SSD and start the installation.

• If you could partition and format the disk from Sierra Terminal , you have created the needed Partitioned, formatted, and named Target disk for HS installation
  • Just boot the system using the USB installer.
  • No need to go to Disk Utility
  • Select MacOSHighSierra Installation >Licenses Agreement> Locate the previously Formatted and named disk and your Installer Flash disk
  • Select the target SSD and start the installation.

Sadly this does not work. Booted HS installer doen't show the disk and disk utility shows uninitialized as you can see in my screenshot. Why do I get the disk I/O error while booting? Do I miss an important kext?

Hi. Had the same issue. High Sierra have problems with Sata-ICH10 controller.
You can fix that by installing AppleAHCIPort.kext from High Sierra 10.13 beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back