Contribute
Register

Discussion: Intel Now Embedding Wifi Into 8th Gen CPU Chips... Possible Kexts Next Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Interesting news coming from Intel lately, most notably the WiFi coming baked into the CPU:
-Source (there are several, but here is one): https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/intel-whiskey-lake-amber-lake-release-date-specs

Specifically:
The new processors come with integrated Gigabit Wi-Fi and improved voice support for assistants like Alexa and Cortana. While most modern laptops already support fast internet speeds through a dedicated Wi-Fi chip, Gigabit connectivity will now come baked into the processor. (emphasis added)

With this change, starting at Whiskey Lake processors, should be not be shouting for joy, screaming from rooftops, in regards to this change in focus by Intel? Doesn't this denote an inevitable paradigm shift with Hackintosh's, in that Intel Wi-Fi drivers/kexts will be supported by Apple for the first time ever? Surely Apple will end up using these processors at some point, and utilize the power-savings and speed-boosts that come with it.

Just curious if anyone else is as excited as I am.

Interesting news coming from Intel lately, most notably the WiFi coming baked into the CPU:
-Source (there are several, but here is one): https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/intel-whiskey-lake-amber-lake-release-date-specs

Specifically:

With this change, starting at Whiskey Lake processors, should be not be shouting for joy, screaming from rooftops, in regards to this change in focus by Intel? Doesn't this denote an inevitable paradigm shift with Hackintosh's, in that Intel Wi-Fi drivers/kexts will be supported by Apple for the first time ever? Surely Apple will end up using these processors at some point, and utilize the power-savings and speed-boosts that come with it.

Just curious if anyone else is as excited as I am.

Curbed enthusiasm until we find out what Apple actually does.

eg. something about "chickens", "counting", and "hatching"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back