Motherboard
Asus P9X79pro
CPU
i7-3820
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I have recently swapped my previous Nvidia GPU GTX 960 by an Radeon RX 570, which allowed me to boot with CSM disabled. The Nvidia did not allow to boot with CSM disabled: three short beeps from MOBO meaning no GPU detected unable to choose boot device and unable to enter into BIOS setup, the only way out was to clear CMOS (although sometimes waiting less than a minute the system booted).

Currently with the new GPU there is not rejection from the MOBO with CSM disabled, and I can press F8 to select boot device and enter into BIOS setup with no issues. However the Boot Picker from Opencore is hidden as well as the verbose, only black screen. If I delete -v from boot args, yes I will see the (apple) logo, but no boot picker.

It will be great to hear some help.

Last edited:
Have you tried reseting NVRAM?

Have you tried reseting NVRAM?
Thanks. Until your suggestion I don't remember if I've reset it. I just did —enabled for 1 boot the CSM and being able to see the boot picker. Disabled again…and still no changes, the booting process on black screen.
In the Tools folder of EFI partition I also included the CleanNvram.efi so when I see the boot picker I can either choose CleanNvram or Reset Nvram. Are they different ? Do they do anything different?

UPDATE:
The situation described above was having 2 monitors setup: main is 4K display through Display Port connection. The second a 1680x1050 through DVI.

Booting with the secondary monitor only I can see the boot picker and the verbose.
Booting with only 4K screen connected Black screen during boot.

I have exactly the same build. I also see a black screen before installation. Have you connected the monitor through DVI? Have you tried installing Big Sur?

I have exactly the same build. I also see a black screen before installation. Have you connected the monitor through DVI? Have you tried installing Big Sur?
Hi, The “solution” I have found to use the BenQ 4K monitor is to connect through the HDMI instead of DisplayPort.
I am on Mojave, did not try Catalina neither Big Sur

With my RX 570 it fixed a similar problem by setting ReconnectOnResChange to true in the config.plist.

The interface is definitely better than Catalina and previous versions. I can't say anything about performance, but it's interesting to compare. Attached screenshots from Geekbench 5, can be compared with your tests - we have the same hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back