Intel Core I9-9900
Graphics
Intel HD630 and Nvidia RTX 2080 Super
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First Hack build, finally got everything I needed working the way I want except 1 thing I noticed that I have not figured out yet, the fan on the "disabled" Nvidia card, is always running when booted into MacOS. It's running at very low speed, the only reason I really even noticed it was because my case is on my desk, and has glass on the video card side, so I saw it vs heard it, more of a minor detail but would like to fix it.

I'm dual booting between Big Sur and Win 10 on 2 different SSD's. I am using the IGPU for MacOS via DP, and my Nvidia 2080 for Windows via HDMI. I have the Nvidia GPU disabled in MacOS with the -wegnoegpu boot arg added to my config.plist, and my BIOS set to prefer IGPU. Is there anything else I need to do to fully disable it in MacOS? I do notice that, since I still have debug enabled in my config.plist, that if I switch my Monitor input to the Nvidia while booted in MacOS, the debug output is just sitting on the screen.. Not sure that has anything to do with it, but figured I'd ask here.

Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    24.4 KB · Views: 111
The fan may need to run to keep the Nvidia card cool. While it has been disabled for macOS, the system will still be feeding it power and it will still be affected by the internal heat build up as you use your system. So the fan running may just save it from an early grave.

The fan may need to run to keep the Nvidia card cool. While it has been disabled for macOS, the system will still be feeding it power and it will still be affected by the internal heat build up as you use your system. So the fan running may just save it from an early grave.
Thanks for the reply, I agree with you, if I switch outputs to the Nvidia, there is still the opencore text being displayed so I guess its just the way it is. It's not really noisy or anything but more of an annoyance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back