Contribute
Register

Direct Update to OS X El Capitan Using Clover

So install was straight forward and quick. Thanks to the many that make it simple.

Asus Extreme IV

Sound was initially not working but is now after Toledo help.

I only have a issue with USB 3.0 (Renesas Controller on this board).

Do we need to wait for an updated GenericUSBXHCI.kext before USB3.0 works for non Intel controllers?

Based on a comment I saw in a recent commit on RehabMan's GitHub, I don't think an updated GenericUSBXHCI.kext is forthcoming: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/commits/461165bb273f9ddefe9b055dd809aa915f6c9464

I downloaded El Capitan successfully. On the setup an error appears that 'This disk cannot be used to start up this computer'

I had the same problem at first - my boot SSD was missing its Recovery partition, and its EFI partition had an incorrect GUID partition type set.

I got help with setting the correct GUID partition type from http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ge-the-gpt-partition-type-of-an-efi-partition, and the Recovery partition thing just sorted itself out (the El Capitan installer created a Recovery partition for me).

Has anyone with an X79 board gotten this to work? It doesn't appear so. I've been trying stuff from all over this thread every little suggestion I can find with not even being able to get the installer to start. My Yosemite with clover is running so incredibly well that this is surprising that this isn't working.

If anyone can lend a path of things to look out for with an X79 board (I am running the x79-up4) I would love to hear your thoughts.

All work fine, easy setup whit this Clover tutorial.

kind regards

I got a system running Yosemite 10.10.5 on a Z87-UD5H. The problem that I'm having is the my install never completes after the reboot. I have added the RtVariables for both BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig but I also have MLB and ROM values that I need it there. Can someone help me boot the install. I also tried 0x67 to disable the SIP but no luck. Also I'm using the latest clover 3270.

Anything that I've miss any help would be appreciated.

<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x3</string>
<key>MLB</key>
<string>99999999999</string>
<key>ROM</key>
<string>99999999999</string>
</dict>

I followed the steps for Clover update and kext's, but I can't boot. It gets past the white Apple and then goes black and stays black, just before the user sign in screen. When I use my USB stick (Clover r3227) I can boot fine. Is there a bug in the current Clover?

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I went to EFI partition on my system drive for which I wanted to install El Capitan via upgrade from Mac App Store in Yosemite, and I simply deleted the EFI/EFI/CLOVER folder and rebooted and used my Clover USB stick and pressed F4 at bootloader and booted back into my Yosemite drive and used the HP ProBook installer and re-installed OS Support drivers, re-patched DSDT and SSDT, and re-installed Clover EFI.

After mounting the EFI partition with Clover Configurator and checking that the DSDT and SSDT were successfully generated, I rebooted and it went straight into Yosemite again.

Thanks to forum user splinefusion for giving me the idea to delete some of the contents of the EFI partition and re-install them. I'm successfully running El Capitan now, but without sound. I don't know if anything else isn't working yet, but the audio I assume should come back by either repairing permissions and/or using the ProBook installer to re-install OS support drivers like I sometimes do.

Last edited:
Ok. Here's the small step that I think could have screwed my initial attempt(s)--probably a combined 5 hours of them. (It turns out that I have 16 minutes to happily write this because El Cap is finally installing to my right.)

When you download and run Clover, and you give it the install directory, that's going to be your main drive (probably). You end up with a folder called EFI, in which, presumably, lives your brand-new Clover files. This is key: of course, those files won't reflect any file changes/additions/deletions that you had to carry-out, in order to get your original Yosemite (fresh) installation going.

I think my mistake was thinking that, when copying and pasting the new EFI folder (result of fresh Clover install) over top of my EFI partition's content, and choosing "merge", that all would be well. It wasn't. I'm not going to investigate what a "merge" paste actually does, because I only wish to point-out that this COULD be the cause for trouble and the beginning of a side-trail from you'll need to backtrack. (I think certain files were unintentionally copied over that shouldn't have been, or something like that--although what can you really hope from such a user-friendly file copy operation descriptor.)

The first symptoms I encountered were solved by trying combinations of boot flags. Then I got to a blank white screen that never went anywhere after 40 minutes of waiting (no beach ball on mine, unlike others). So, fine, I said--let's erase this whole damn EFI partition and replace with the brand-new vanilla Clover EFI file. This opened me up to even worse issues--presumably other things that survived the merge operation were now gone.

So that was what I now know was some very destructive troubleshooting. (I had the intact USB drive with the EFI partition as it was when I was first able to boot into the Yosemite installer and subsequent Yosemite instance, so I was able to boot back and forth between working Yosemite and non-working, updated Clover and the subsequent (failing) El Capitan installer.) I decided to revisit how I got OS X on this thing in the first place. I had followed the RampageDev guide, and there were some VERY specific things and files I had had to mess with. Basically--and I know this has gotten long, but I now have 11 minutes remaining on the ElCap install and sometimes an anecdotal troubleshooting description can trigger some lightbulbs in your head--I decided to go the other way around.

Firstly, consult and respect your original guide that you may have used for Yosemite. I had followed a guide that instructed me to choose "Customize" during Clover install, and to choose to install several options under Drivers64UEFI. So, I made sure to do the same thing when updating per this guide (reinstalling, effectively, because the installer just backs-up your existing EFI folder and puts it in EFIbackups or something like that). There were also other files included in a .DMG that I will get to in a second.

Since I had a working copy on USB, I could afford to delete EFI on the EFI partition, and to copy the brand-new Clover EFI folder onto my EFI partition. Revisit how it was that you got your Yosemite instance booting in the first place. Did you paste an SSDT.aml file specific to your hardware like I was originally instructed to do, and then completely throw that out the window upon following this guide (however correctly/incorrectly)? Grab that file, do that again. Consult your original guide. Do those things first, again in your new Clover install (whose file contents, again, are now in your actual EFI partition) Make the config.plst changes in this guide. Copy the Kexts you had before--I put them in every GD folder 10 and up--so including 11, and also "Other".

El Capitan is welcoming me by name ... happy Friday! Now back to Logic, and here's to hoping that the GUI instability issues were related to the OS and that ElCap has some bug resolutions waiting for me ...

I think I made a huge mess of my EFI partition. I have Windows 7 and OS X Yosemite on this HDD and I need to fix or start over with the EFI partition. Windows is installed legacy and I don't mind if I have to wipe OS X. I started off with a black screen after the Apple logo, but then I moved some files around thinking I would make it work and now it kernel panics at the Apple logo. I want to properly setup the EFI partition for a straight upgrade to El Capitan.

Please help. :confused:

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I went to EFI partition on my system drive for which I wanted to install El Capitan via upgrade from Mac App Store in Yosemite, and I simply deleted the EFI/EFI/CLOVER folder and rebooted and used my Clover USB stick and pressed F4 at bootloader and booted back into my Yosemite drive and used the HP ProBook installer and re-installed OS Support drivers, re-patched DSDT and SSDT, and re-installed Clover EFI.

After mounting the EFI partition with Clover Configurator and checking that the DSDT and SSDT were successfully generated, I rebooted and it went straight into Yosemite again.

Thanks to forum user splinefusion for giving me the idea to delete some of the contents of the EFI partition and re-install them. I'm successfully running El Capitan now, but without sound. I don't know if anything else isn't working yet, but the audio I assume should come back by either repairing permissions and/or using the ProBook installer to re-install OS support drivers like I sometimes do.

Last edited:
Back