Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Hi guys,

Just updated from El Capitan to Sierra using latest Clover. The update wouldn't go through unless nv_disable=1 was selected (otherwise screen would go "no signal" after proceeding with installation).

Sierra has installed ok, but again screen goes "no signal" after the Apple logo when using default settings. The only way I can get into the system is with nv_disable=1.

I've updated the Nvidia Drivers after installation but nothing has changed. Currently screen resolution and performance are extremely low, even hard to write this post :).

Any idea where to look for for a fix?

Many thanks :).

EDIT:

I think I fixed it by installing "Nvidia fix" from MultiBeast.
Not a help thread. Please post your request for help in the Sierra Desktop Support forum section.

Is this the proper upgrade method for going from Sierra to HIgh Sierra as well? I’m trying to find the best way to do so.

Thanks.

Established Clover users on OS X El Capitan who wish to update directly to macOS Sierra can do so just like a regular Mac would. This fully native method requires no USB creation or preparation.​

I've just updated my Gigabyte Barebone directly from Yosemite to Sierra using the guide in the first post without any problem.
Thanks a lot!

So, I tried to venture out to do the upgrade (from El Cap to Sierra). It started the install. However, when it rebooted all I see now is the clover boot loader with no system drive to boot from at all. I am not sure what I did wrong here. But, there are no options to “boot from Mac OS” or previous os or anything. Only boot options menu, options, restart and exit (oh and a shell option). Is there anything I can do to get this back at all?

I tried putting in a Sierra USB drive to boot up and see if there was something diskutils would show me but it didn’t even have my boot drive on there at all. Only thing I could see were my other data drives, etc. There was one drive that was 500gb that I “think” may have been the original El Cap system drive but I am not sure. It says it is unformatted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (I knew I should not have attempted this upgrade after having a steady El Capitan system for so long....ugh.....). Thanks!

Just updated form El Capitan to Sierra, following the instructions
I have changed the definition to iMac 14.2 and it went smooth
Thanx to everybody who explain and write all the details!

Confirmed!!!

I finally upgrade from Yosemite 10.10.5 to Sierra 10.12.6 on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Core 2 Quad old build

Then i'll just update Clover, copy kext files to 10.12 and Other folders.

I have to download NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext to FIX the nvidia webdriver blackscreen issue and done!!

Thanks for all your help tonymacX86

Greetings from Mexico City!!
Captura de pantalla 2018-06-24 a la(s) 06.04.59.png

Build:
i7 6700k
z 170 x UD5 th
GTX 960

Ah man this is so frustrating. so I have done this;
Backed up El Cap to other HD along with EFI
Updated Clover and Clover configurator
Put fakesmc.kext into other folder on EFI partition (not the back up)
Booting in verbose, Inject Kexts, Disable Nvidia, Web driver ticked.

When I go to install Sierra and run the boot from clover all I get verbose is a bunch of plus signs and then hangs......

Help me obi wan Kenobi :(

EDIT

Fixed, followed these instructions;

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-clover-update-r4586-disables-os-boot-black-screen.256050/

Last edited:
HI, I wanted to know if it is also possible to do the same update but from 10.8 (mountain lion) to 10.12 (sierra) without losing data? Your answer will be much appreciated. Thank you

my computer:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68Xp-UD3P
CPU: Intel 3.500 Ghz intelcore i5
Graphic Card: Nvidea GeForce 210 (512 mb)
Ram: 16 gb 1333Mhz

Last edited:
@livingJAZZ, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

@livingJAZZ, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
@BreBo Yes Sorry!!! Now done! I hope that with the components that I have I can do an update from 10.8 to 10.12 (Sierra) without losing data?? Thanks Again

Last edited:
Back