Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Figured it out the flicker issue thanks to BreBo, it has to do with the 10-bit color support implemented in the 10.12.5 update. Using SwitchResX fixed it by changing the color depth from a billion colors to millions.

Note that, to see the module causing panic, you MUST check, in the Clover Boot Options, other than verbose, safe mode, etc., the check-box DON'T BOOT ON KERNEL PANIC (or similar), so that the "system" won't reboot too fast, as you say. Try without safe mode at first.

I can't find such an option anywhere. Can you please be a little more specific?

I can't find such an option anywhere. Can you please be a little more specific?
At Clover Boot Screen press space bar and select Verbose (-v) and Don't reboot on panic (debug=0x100).

Hi. I just tried updating from Yosemite to Sierra directly (Clover). I was able to boot into Install, and passed the black screen but now I'm stuck on a grey screen hung on the beach ball... Been there for hours. I thought I could jump El Cap, and it seems like I offed it but I want to make 100% sure that's my issue. Was I to boot any differently?

Hi. I just tried updating from Yosemite to Sierra directly (Clover). I was able to boot into Install, and passed the black screen but now I'm stuck on a grey screen hung on the beach ball... Been there for hours. I thought I could jump El Cap, and it seems like I offed it but I want to make 100% sure that's my issue. Was I to boot any differently?
The grey screen with a beachball when upgrading can usually be overcome by placing FakeSMC.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

That was fast! I'll give it a whirl.

Edit: seems to work out, thank you kind sir/madam/unassumed-non-denominational-politically-correct-title! :) Thought I had done it already but I misunderstood the instructions...

Last edited:
Was able to successfully update to MacOS Sierra from El Capitan, Followed TonyMacx86 guide (Direct Update to MacOs Sierra using Clover). Quick highlights on the upgrade.
  • Checked the system definitions and had to use Multibeast (For El Capitan) to update it to Mac14,2.
  • I haven’t connected to the App Store before and had the famous error (App Store Error Code "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.) when trying to download MacOS Sierra. Have to follow the forum and picked up the fix from “Glnk2012”. . Here is the fix provided by “Glnk2012”. . “"For those of you who can't login to Appstore, make sure your Ethernet built'in is set à en0 (you can see that in System Information, ioreg and Network utility). If not, then go to Network in System Preferences and delete all your devices, apply, then deleteLibrary/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot, go to Network in System Preferences again and add your Ethernet connection FIRST. You're good to go!"”. Have to check couple of youtube videos to figure out the file path.
  • Learnt about Clover Configurator and learnt about mounting EFI Partition (no clue before) and did tweak the Boot timing (0 Seconds) and the boot drive to boot.
Nothing else and it worked fine, I have been using the USB Audio and all worked perfect.

I have been using EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card for graphics and never used web driver’s…Its just working good. Can’t believe.

It’s pretty stable and working great…Thanks for the wonderful community and happy tweaking guys.

Build:
GIGABYTE|GA-Z97X-UD5H Z97 ATX
Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54460 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

Sorry to be that guy but Ive gone through 15 pages of people saying 'selected boot without caches'
How is this possible?
That option isnt available on my Clover, Ive updated to the latest version. I dont fancy rolling through the 110 pages of this...

When I do searches for 'clover boot without caches' I get information saying that its been removed.

Im currently at the point with grey screen and spinning beach ball. Verbose mode runs through with one pause on busy timeout (240s) AppleACPICPU

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even direction towards an answer on this thread that might work!

Ive now installed fully.

Found that 'no caches' was already checked in the Clover Configurator.
Found that 'inject kexts' was set to detect changed this to Yes.
Unplugged all drives so only OSX drive available.
Removed certain kexts from Other folder (had lots of soundcard, trackball kexts, anything that wasnt imperative) - notably, 'FakePCIID' which came up in another thread.
Left FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet and AppleIntel1000e in place.

I think it was the Inject Kexts that did the trick but because I took a punt and did all that at once I cant be sure. Good luck!

Something to remember for the newbies out there - Clover Configurator is the centre of everything... Study it closely!

Hi,

upgraded from El Capitan...

I have a strange behavior in the Storage information screen (accessed from the about icon). (See attached image)
Seems that the information of the system HD is taken into account photos library which is stored on other HD so the outcome is that the total size of the system drive (El capitan drive) is greater than its physical capacity. The available space is 125 GB but the bar under El Capitan shows as the "El Capitan" drive is full.
In the second image, you can see the photos app library definition which refer to photos library file on another HD and not El Capitan drive.

Is this a bug/feature? did anyone has the same issue? (on El Capitan version it was ok)

temp1.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 9.03.36.png

Back