Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but the instructions say:
"Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/"

/
EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ didn't exist on my system and I spent a while trying to figure out why. It seems the intention was /Volumes/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/? Or is it really supposed to be "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/"?

I'm having issues booting after install and wondering if I made a false assumption...

I just update it with no major problems. I just Followed the instructions, but didn't have to choose boot without cache, neither without Inject..., so when I restarted and chose the Boot install OX.... I pressed the spacebar and chose Boot Mac OS X with selected options, that worked for me. No issues with the audio, neither the graphics card, when i logged in the Nvidia driver asked me for update, then restarted it and was fine.
I just activate the new option in Clover for using the Nvidia driver instead of the option: nvda_drv=1. More info here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-method-for-enabling-nvidia-web-drivers-in-clover.202341/

One important thing to notice is you need to reinstall the latest clover from the web, when I first tried, I updated it from the clover itself, and didn't work, never saw the option: Boot macOS Install.

Thanks!!!

Tried direct update. Clover is latest version, FakeSMC and ethernet kexts are copied to OTHER.

When I try to update, the setup starts then the screen goes black. Thing is, I do NOT have an nvidia card, only the intel 530. When I choose the option Boot WITHOUT injected Kexts, I see the progress bar for like 7-8 minutes before it goes black.

Any success doing a direct update from El cap to Sierra with Intel HD 530 (def is imac17,1) ?

Thanks!

Fixed my issue black screen issue with HD530 (no discrete).

Connected HDMI instead of DP, and everything went smoothly.

Then, removed all the intel graphics patches from config.plist, also removed those files:
/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml
/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-HDMI-HD530.aml

Rebooted, reinstalled HD530 from multibeast sierra version. Connected DP, shutdown computer, then disconnected HDMI. Rebooted, it worked!

Next is trying to get sound over DP working again, will see if it screws everything up :)

Last edited:
I'm getting the following error after the macOS installer runs for about 20 minutes.

"macOS could not be installed on your computer
Building boot caches on boot helper partition failed.
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

IMG_3925.JPG

Any recommendations for how to proceed?

Last edited:
hi,
i'm trying to migrate from OSX El capitan to OSX Sierra on my 8460p installed with Rehabman hotpatch method
I have updated clover and put kext into "other" HD EFI folder.
Downloaded OSX Sierra and on reboot..... i see the correct entry "install mac OSX".
I try to start with option "without kext" and system starts correctly , i see apple logo with progress bar, until i see the image in attach....white screen with cursor rotating if i click on mouse it disappears .
What i can do to solve this issue? i see into forum (also if for desktop)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/direct-update-to-macos-sierra-using-clover.201465/
that people got straight with success into this upgrade with minimum effort and someone use "without cache " option but i cannot fint it in options menu

edit1:
if it can be useful i solved downgrading to clover version Clover_v2.3k_r3763
(Newer version don't have feature " Run Without Cache")....After Reboot this time i set into option:

- run in verbose mode
- run without cache
- run with injected kext

now is starting finally installer and works fine straight desktop!

edit2:
I've audio issue and usb not responding.....rebuild cache doesn't work

i've solved (bacause i have installed El Capitan with probook hotpatch Rehabman's guide) launching from terminal

cd ~/Projects/probook.git
./download.sh

and then launch

./install_downloads.sh

after reinstalling everything reboot and now audio is ok

regarding USB i've Renesas usb 3 controller.... for enable every port install genericsub kext with kextbeast and after reboot also left side 8460's usb are now working

think may help

Bye

Last edited:
FWIW, I did a direct upgrade from 10.11.4 to 10.12.3 using, basically, the instructions in the OP. I followed some steps that I found necessary in the past, however, and you may or may not need to do any/all of them for success (and some may have created problems for me initially, not sure...).

1. Make bootable backup of entire root drive using CCC.
2. Mount EFI partition on SSD of my Fusion drive
3. Backup Clover directory from EFI partition
4. Download and upgrade Clover. Look afterward to see if clover upgrade actually applied to mounted EFI partition rather than simply putting the install in /EFI (this happened to me before when moving up to El Capitan, no idea why).
5. Copied all the kexts (including fakesmc.kext) I had in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.11 to EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other (at some point, I don't remember when exactly, I *also* copied these kexts into the 10.12 directory).
5. Download Sierra installer from app store
6. Run the installer and point it at the correct drive. Reboot.

Now, upon reboot, "Boot MAC OS X" was *not* an option displayed in the Clover bootloader menu. So, I tried booting back into ElCap (still an option there), but no dice. It would not boot. So, I tried again, this time with -v, nv_disable and NoCaches=1. Verbose mode showed me an error I'd seen in the past related to SIP. So, I rebooted into my backup ElCap, and changed config.plist on the SSD EFI partition to disable SIP.

I booted again, and though "Boot MAC OS X" was *still* not an option, booting with the entry for ElCap actually booted the installer. The rest of the install went fine. Each time a reboot was needed, I used -v and nv_disable. When I finally got to the desktop, I got prompted by the Nivida driver app to download and install new video drivers for my GTX 960. On reboot, I left the default flags in Clover, and got straight to the desktop without issue.

Only other issue encountered was sound was again broken (no audio devices). So, I went and got the updated version of Toleda's Clover ALC script here (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-120.sh), and ran it from a terminal. I rebooted, and sound was fixed.

iMessage and all iCloud related services continue to work (as expected).

Only annoyance is that I now need new drivers for a few things like a printer, and just discovered a bad bug in Logmein under Sierra. But everything works great.... good luck all!

I'm trying to update to Sierra this way and "Install Mac OS X" is not an option in clover. SIP is disabled. What are some other things I can try to get that working?

Back