Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

What I did: I removed GPU, installed Sierra and Clover boot loader, booted again but from HDD without GPU, placed those 2 kexts to S/L/E, rebuild cache, booted again to make sure kexts are not causing any problems. Then I put GPU back and booted to Sierra from HDD with proper boot args.

BTW, I took NVDAStartup.kext and IOPCFamily.kext from my working El Capitan partition.
Okay, first off thanks for helping. I had to start all over again. I have very good sierra install but without GPU, everytime I put it back acts weirdly so now only 3k onboard graphics wich is very good. I tried multibeast, and got error at installation, wifi working fine, no sound. So I missing something I am on 10.12.1 already. which are your boot args? Thanks again.

Hi there!

My folder EFI-Clover-Kexts-10.11 is empty. Even the "other" folder is empty.

When installing I just used kexts that were included in MultiBeast and added one using Kext Beast for sound after sleep. All kexts are in Library-Extensions, including FakeSMC.kext.

What should I do in this situation?

HI
I cant finish the upgrate. It crashes on the black loading screen with the apple logo on the final re boot... what can i do?

Do my graphics need to be on board graphics to do this update?

Im trying to get to boot without graphics card in el capitan before update but am having trouble. I actually want to get rid of my graphics card anyways as I dont think i need it. I get stuck at a bunch of sandbox messages when using these bootflags:

nv_disable
darkwake=2
dart=0
-v
kex_dev_mode=1

Should be nv_disable=1. However, Clover has change the way to enable/unable the Nvidia drivers for Sierra. See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-method-for-enabling-nvidia-web-drivers-in-clover.202341/

kext-dev-mode=1 is no longer being used starting with El Capitan. It's now called SIP. See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-workarounds-and-current-information.170611/

Thanks for that, im still on El Capitan though so I need nv_disable=1 right? Im trying to prepare to update to sierra, but thought id get back to on-board graphics before doing the update. Is it ok to update with Nvidia graphics this way without problems? Why cant i get it to boot onboard graphics?

i can't seem to boot into the install, anyone have any ideas

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 139
I did exactly as this guide describes. I downloaded the last Clover release, i.e. the Clover_v2.3k_r3899.pkg, installed the package, copied FakeSMC.kext, as well as NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and RealtekRTL8111.kext, into the /EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other/ folder, then I "copied" the "Install Sierra macOS" I had previously downloaded, by within the 10.8.5 install, in the El Capitan Application folder ("About this Mac" shows MacPro Mid 2010, and Sierra was offered for downloading). Eventually I opened Apple Store and choose to install "Sierra". The process immediately started.
1. Step 4 did not apply to me. In my system I have, other than "El Capitan", Windows 10, Mountain Lion, and Snow Leopard, in separate HD; Sierra installer offered only the choice of "El Capitan" system disk (obviously).
2. I made the choice, and in a couple of minutes the system rebooted;
3. At Clover Boot Menu I did not have the time to press the space bar for entering options; the system went in panic state and rebooted; this second time I paid more attention, and pressed the right/left arrows to move among the options; then I choose the Install Mac OS option, pressed the space bar, and a list of options appeared. None of these was Without Caches, or similar, nor Inject Kexts was present as well (I presume the procedure described by the Administrator refers to a different Clover release). I tried to write "-t" and "-T", but did not find the possibility of writing myself, as I did with the previous Clover release. So I choose "safe" ("-x") and "verbose" ("-v"). Then I started the boot, and the system kept on tracing strings on the screen for more than 15 minutes. Then I reset and turned off the system (to avoid unreversible damages), reverting to the fully working "El Capitan" 10.11.2, wandering if it would be better, and safe, for me to try to update to 10.11.6, or not.
Could anyone improve my understanding and tell me if and where I'm wrong, or could the Administrator upgrade the procedure referring to the last release of Clover?
Thank you all.
MOBO: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 - BIOS F13
i7 920

RAM 6GByte
Nvidia GeeForce 275GTX 896 MByte
SSD Samsung EVO 840 250GB
What works in El Capitan 10.11.2 (installed on October 31, 2016, TonyMac Unibeast-Multibeast)
Everything
:
Full resolution HD --> DVI Graphics,
Ethernet RTL 8111,
Audio (3 in 1 External via line-out, didn't test Audio through Hdmi yet);
Usb Philips WebCam;
Resume after sleep.
The El Capitan installation looks the fastest among all the other OS's I have installed in my old bios system (Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, Mountain Lion 10.8.5, Snow Leopard 10.6.8).
What does not work:
Sometime the system takes a long time for shutting down. The Reboot is always "normal".

Last edited:
Back