Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

UPDATE: Actually, I found AirportAtheros40.kext, which is right driver for Atheros 9280 inside of IO80211Family.kext.
My question is, will adding specific #ID to the Info.plist help to make my WiFi more stable?

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 2.56.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 2.57.00 AM.png

IMG_1335.JPG
cloverbeast.png

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Established Clover users on OS X El Capitan who wish to update directly to macOS Sierra can do so just like a regular Mac would. This fully native method requires no USB creation or preparation.

Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working OS X El Capitan installation.

1. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge and update your existing Clover install.

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

3. Download Install macOS Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

5. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating. Press spacebar to enter Boot Options and choose Without Caches option and/or Inject Kexts option then Boot Mac OS X with selected options.

6. Complete the installation process. When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

7. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot Mac OS X option (Example: Boot Mac OS X from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

:thumbup:

Related:

macOS Sierra is Now Available on the Mac App Store
Some Broadcom mini-PCIe Devices Unsupported in macOS Sierra
macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

Apple Releases macOS Sierra 'Golden Master' GM Candidate to Beta Testers
macOS Sierra Upgrade Available on September 20th
macOS Sierra Public Beta 7 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 6 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 5 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 4 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 3 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 2 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta is Now Available
How to Create a macOS Sierra Public Beta Installation USB
NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS Sierra 10.12 Beta
Introducing the macOS Sierra Critter!
Sierra Desktop Support
Sierra Desktop Guides
Sierra Laptop Support
Sierra Laptop Guides
Apple Reveals macOS Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2016
tonymacx86 Clover Theme

Hey guys, I tried to update my el captain to OS X sierra, with clover, as you said. Before I downloaded OS X sierra, I've updated clover to newest version.

Until clover boot screen everything seems working, but I can't find the options "without caches" and/or "inject kexts" can anybody help me? Thanks!

Last edited:
View attachment 216507

Hey guys, I tried to update my el captain to OS X sierra, with clover, as you said. Before I downloaded OS X sierra, I've updated clover to newest version.

Until clover boot screen everything seems working, but I can't find the options "without caches" and/or "inject kexts" can anybody help me? Thanks!

So finally I fixed the problem by myself, updating was successful.
On Clover Bootloader select "Boot macOS Install", then press Spacebar and select "Set Nvidia to VESA (nv_disable-1)" then get up and select "Boot macOS with selected options"

Everything worked for me, updating was very smooth and without any other troubles!

Hi guys,

maybe stupid question, but would really appreciate your advice.

I am currently running El Capitan with Chimera. I would like to move to Clover and Sierra. Can I do it in same step?

Meaning:
- should I move to Clover first and then update to Sierra using first post in this topic, or
- can I move to Clover and update to Sierra in same step?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,

N.

Hi guys,

maybe stupid question, but would really appreciate your advice.

I am currently running El Capitan with Chimera. I would like to move to Clover and Sierra. Can I do it in same step?

Meaning:
- should I move to Clover first and then update to Sierra using first post in this topic, or
- can I move to Clover and update to Sierra in same step?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,

N.
It's not a stupid question, but it's in the wrong place (thread). Still I suggest that you first move over to clover and see that you get everything working. Hope you have an extra disk for backup/testing.

Hello and thanks for this very useful direct update guidance!
I ran myself into the issue of not being able to boot from Boot macOS Install as it was not available at Clover screen. But at some point I wanted to do clean installation and I booted from macOS Sierra USB (after running macOS Sierra installation in El Capitan and reboot). I was able to finish update and works flawlessly. To summarize I suggest an intermediate point between 4 and 5 to the above guide:
4,5. Boot from macOS Sierra USB (and continue with installation as indicated in steps 5 thru 7).
I didn't have any issue due to Boot Options not being set as indicated in the guide.
My system:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5, I7-4790K, 16GB DDR3, nVidia Quadro M4000, Samsung SM951 512GB -AHCI- MZHPV512HDGL M.2 2280 PCIe PCI-Express 3.0 SSD

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 9.12.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Thx for the guide !!
Everything work perfectly from El Capitan to Sierra. Well, almost perfect, I might say. :p One thing keeps bugging me is that I cant restart. :( When I press restart, it's just stuck at desktop; shutdown is fine tho.
My system is i7 4790k, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, 32gb, gtx960.
If anyone care to help or guide me for the fix ,that would be fantastic :D

flo

Success direct upgrade GA-H61N-USB3 from El Capitan to Sierra with CLOVER .
Thanks for the guide.

Weirdly it appears that Sierra has blown out the visibility of Mounting of EFI in the Finder window. I would suggest that you Mount the EFI using EFI Mounter v3.app this then should display in the Finder window as a Device

You then need to view hidden files on the Hackingtosh so that you can copy all the kexts from Library\Extensions into EFI\Clover\Other that should work.

To show hidden files on your Hackingtosh open a Terminal and cut and paste each of these two lines

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
killall Finder

The go to the "Go" menu in Finder, hold down Option and then select Library. This will open the library window... then find extensions and copy all those kexts in there into EFI\Clover\Other

this should help... am guessing
Hey man! your post made me upgrade to sierra after one month struggling. I started my day reading one by one until I got here. Thanks to those like you that post, and help. It is very much appreciated.

solve this.. please try the following:

So I managed to fix this. What I did was firstly to enable viewing of hidden files in Finder.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
killall Finder

Then mounted the EFI partition using Clover Configurator. Then I went to the Main Drive\Library\Extensions -- a folder that was hidden before -- and copied *all* the kexts into the EFI\Clover\kexts\other directory.

Following that I rebooted, selected the Install option and Sierra successfully installed.
now, I should post that I have a problem, after installing went well, I did use multibeast for sierra, and now I have a panic computer in a loop...what should I do? Can you help me please? I managed to boot from Clover EFI, not from the HD

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Back