Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Wow. This worked for me. Upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra :D I am using clover 3773. One strange thing I observed is after the second reboot, OS X doesn't load. Good thing I made a unibeast USB beforehand. I just used it to boot into my upgraded installation and copied the CLOVER backup folder from my El capitan installation to the new one. Worked like a treat. Complete hassle free upgrade this is. Thank you guys :)

Upgrade keeps stopping3/4 way through (Apple logo/progress bar) I made all the boot options as instructed, and have rebooted a few times but still hangs. Clover is fine, shows all my other boot options in addition to the OS update.

UPDATE. Sierra now up and running (missed Step 2 copying kexts over to Other) - however now I don't have audio output, but am closer in the the OS is using NVIDIA, rather than the OS X Default, but even after installing/updating the latest drivers still not working. Must have missed something somewhere.
NVIDIA-ECC.png

NVIDIA-DriverUpdateOct12.png

Last edited:
No mater what I try on booting into the OS X install partition to get to the Sierra installer I get stuck here- any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 167
This procedure worked as advertised for me with a Haswell i7 / GA-Z87MX-D3H coming from El Capitan, with the following caveats:

1) Changing the system definition to iMac 14,2 required two reboots to stick.

2) After the change to iMac 14,2 neither Sierra nor the clone of the old El Capitan installation would boot. I got a kernel panic at IONetworkingFamily (the e1000 driver) even in safe and single-user mode and even using the old iMac definition. Changing system definitions via the Clover boot loader just lead to panics with other kexts. I had to boot with a UniBeast USB installer, run the terminal app and delete IONetworkingFamily.kext from S/L/E, boot into Sierra, replace IONetworkingFamily with a kext from a native Sierra installation (MacBook Air) and re-run the e1000 installer from MultiBeast.

3) MultiBeast could not get my audio working correctly. I had to copy AppleHDA.kext over from the UniBeast USB stick and run the audio_cloverALC-120.command script manually.

If anyone else runs into these problems I hope this helps.
Everything works great now (Audio, LAN, Siri, etc.)

Last edited:
No mater what I try on booting into the OS X install partition to get to the Sierra installer I get stuck here- any advice?

Which iMac system definition are you using?

Which iMac system definition are you using?
trying to use 14,2 - I've tried through MultiBeast and Clover Configurator but it doesn't seem to stick and reverts to my previous set up of 13,1.

Been trying now to install through USB instead but just boots into my previous lion install after black apple loading screen for 30m.

trying to use 14,2 - I've tried through MultiBeast and Clover Configurator but it doesn't seem to stick and reverts to my previous set up of 13,1.

Been trying now to install through USB instead but just boots into my previous Lion install after black apple loading screen for 30m.

Are you using Clover?

I had the same problem at first because my BIOS simply says "macos" as the EFI boot device and I was never sure which drive it booted, the one with the updated system definition or the backup with the old definition.

Assuming you have Clover installed, make sure MultiBeast is editing the config.plist on the EFI partition that your BIOS actually boots; in my case the drives are also listed by brand/model as UEFI devices. If you still aren't sure, try creating a file called "config-new.plist" in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER. When you boot into the Clover go into settings and load "config-new.plist." If it doesn't show up, then you are booting the wrong EFI partition.

In my case it still took two reboots to get the new system definition to stick and one more reboot that seemed to do something with the kext cache before Sierra booted successfully.

Hi guys, tried everything but can't pass "System uptime in nanoseconds" error.
Running latest Clover version on 14,2 System Definition.
Anyone found the solution?

Edit: It's 14,1 not 14,2

Last edited:
Hi guys, tried everything but can't pass "System uptime in nanoseconds" error.
Running latest Clover version on 14,2 System Definition.
Anyone found the solution?

Attach screenshot.

Back