Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Am I correct in assuming that since the El Cap install process results in a Clover bootloader I can use the process outlined in this thread to install Sierra?

Nope, you need a newer version of Clover than the one that you used a while ago with ElCap. So upgrade Clover to a version newer than 3600 before you begin.

The upgrade worked for me.

I had to downgrade my Clover version and skip the part about booting without caches. I also had to run the Toledo script for my ALC887 to get audio to work again. Funny thing is audio output works again but my mic does not so I have no audio input which I need but I will tackle that another day.

I copied my 10.11 kexts to 'other' and booted without cache and inject kexts. Install finished and the graphics started without gtx 960 drivers, updated the nvidia drivers, upon boot I get the black screen.. Not sure what to do now, any ideas?

iMac12,2
asus z68 pro gen-3
evga gtx 960

Last edited:
cloverbeast.png

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Established Clover users on OS X El Capitan who wish to update directly to macOS Sierra can do so just like a regular Mac would. This fully native method requires no USB creation or preparation.

Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working OS X El Capitan installation.

1. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge and update your existing Clover install.

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

3. Download Install macOS Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

5. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating. Press spacebar to enter Boot Options and choose Without Caches option and/or Inject Kexts option then Boot Mac OS X with selected options.

6. Complete the installation process. When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

7. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot Mac OS X option (Example: Boot Mac OS X from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

:thumbup:

Related:

macOS Sierra is Now Available on the Mac App Store
Some Broadcom mini-PCIe Devices Unsupported in macOS Sierra
macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

Apple Releases macOS Sierra 'Golden Master' GM Candidate to Beta Testers
macOS Sierra Upgrade Available on September 20th
macOS Sierra Public Beta 7 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 6 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 5 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 4 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 3 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 2 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta is Now Available
How to Create a macOS Sierra Public Beta Installation USB
NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS Sierra 10.12 Beta
Introducing the macOS Sierra Critter!
Sierra Desktop Support
Sierra Desktop Guides
Sierra Laptop Support
Sierra Laptop Guides
Apple Reveals macOS Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2016
tonymacx86 Clover Theme

Works fine!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All works like a charm! except sleep (the hackintosh go to sleep fine but when i try to wake it lose video signal)

I updated successfully from el capitan which was working pretty good, now I'm getting a kernel panic, image attached

how do I fix this ?
20160926_202425.jpg

That is not a version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Ah, I thought you meant the clover version.

It is version 1.8.15.

Apple Store guy wouldn't give me his admin password to create a Clover USB, so I downloaded an Ubuntu live CD on their dime and have now mounted my EFI partition. Is there a way obtain the correct VoodooPS2.kext from your git repo? I've cloned it on the Ubuntu system, but I'm confused as to where your script makes the file from...

Ah, I thought you meant the clover version.

It is version 1.8.15.

Apple Store guy wouldn't give me his admin password to create a Clover USB, so I downloaded an Ubuntu live CD on their dime and have now mounted my EFI partition. Is there a way obtain the correct VoodooPS2.kext from your git repo? I've cloned it on the Ubuntu system, but I'm confused as to where your script makes the file from...
you can download it from here: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/downloads :)

Back