Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Success!!!
After 3 tries (third time is a charm), I made it. The reason it failed the first two times was because I used the latest Clover. What worked for me was Clover_v2.3k_r3726.
Followed post #1 to the letter and used the above Clover and voila!
Everything seems to be working very nicely, it's indexing pretty hard right now so that's good. In a few minutes I will run Toleda's script to enable sound again.
You can get Clover here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/

Here's an interesting one, and maybe I'm missing something.

Installed the update and everything worked as planned. Reboot after all the installation stuff to the login screen. Click on my main user account and it accepts my password, but then just sits and spins. Occasionally giving me the rainbow wheel of doom, but other than that just spins. I can move the mouse and stuff so it's not frozen.

So I hard reboot from the drive and get back to the login screen. This time I select a secondary user account and when I enter the password, it spins for a second and then prompts me to enter my Apple ID and do the initial configuration bit. Then I get to the desktop...

After some consideration, I realized that my main user accounts Home folder is located on a separate disk and is configured as such in the Users pref pane. My secondary account has it's Home folder located on the same disk as the install. I'm not sure why it makes a difference, but I can get passed the login screen with my main account.

Any one have any ideas?

EDIT: After login with my secondary account, I was able to change my primary account's Home folder location to the local folder on my main drive. I logged out of secondary, and was able to login with primary without issue. However, none of my Applications, Music, Movies, etc... are there because they all reside in my original home folder. Is this perhaps a permissions issue? I can't relocated all of my original Home folder contents because there isn't enough room on my main drive.

Last edited:
Graphics vs. iMessage/FaceTime.
So I followed this guided on my old X58 and it for the most part worked perfectly.
The first two things, and (only 2 things) broken were graphics and sound. After I updated the nivida web drivers oddly the graphics worked after the 2nd reboot, but every reboot after that I had broken graphics. After some reading I learned I had to add a couple of lines of code to the config.plist file.
I found the SystemParameters sections at the very end of my plist files and I added the lines in red which resolved the graphics issue.
Example -
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

Sound was easily resolved by running the new version of the command file.
Now here is were things get strange. iMessage and FaceTime quit working. I know iMessage was working because as soon as my computer came up from upgrading I got a text, and I was able got respond on my computer.
I found that adding those two line in the System Parameters is what caused the two services to quit working, removing them resolved the problem. So now when I reboot, I have to stop clover from booting. go into graphics and select Webdriver then boot.
I don't restart this desktop much so I'm ok with that for now.
I guess I will wait for an updated version of Clover Configurator, as I noticed editing the plist manually, and using the configurator don't mix well...lol

Well, my perfectly running Capitan on H87 n wifi now doesn't even want to boot into el capitan after trying to do the update to sierra, tired of this, give up. system restarts every time after initial apple logo, and yes i followed everything on the guide

Hi,
No sound too after update. Could you please explain in details how you did for the config.plist trick ?
When you run the Realtek AppleHDA Audio installer (audio_cloverALC-120), it updates the config.list in /EFI/CLOVER (KextsToPatch) and installs realtekALC.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER. If you are set up for UEFI booting, Clover will load the config.list from /EFI/CLOVER to /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/Z97X-UD5H/UEFI instead. That's why you need to copy the updated config.list as well as the realtek...kext to the appropriate place in ..../UEFI/....

Well, my perfectly running Capitan on H87 n wifi now doesn't even want to boot into el capitan after trying to do the update to sierra, tired of this, give up. system restarts every time after initial apple logo, and yes i followed everything on the guide

For all we know you're trying to install onto a potato - sorry for the sarcasm but unless you give us a clue as to what your specs are, you're just wasting your time posting as it won't induce anyone to offer you the help you need. All it takes is a couple of seconds to put your specs into your profile and believe or not, someone will come to your aid. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Huge thanks to everyone .. working perfectly now

For all we know you're trying to install onto a potato - sorry for the sarcasm but unless you give us a clue as to what your specs are, you're just wasting your time posting as it won't induce anyone to offer you the help you need. All it takes is a couple of seconds to put your specs into your profile and believe or not, someone will come to your aid. Welcome to the forum and good luck.
I have been here for 4 years but i forgot my other id and password since it has been a while

Ok guys, I just tried the guide but did not work. Every time after the apple logo the computer restarts itself, i tried to boot to el capitan partition but same thing, it doesn't matter in which mode i try it just won't go in. i just formatted the entire disk out of frustration to try a fresh install, and guess what, still the same issue wtf

I have been here for 4 years but i forgot my other id and password since it has been a while
Hi Daril.
You should be able to reset your user login details for your previous account through the "Forgot Your Password" link. You can use username/email to reset your credentials.

Back