Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Worked flawlessly here on my Gigabyte z77x-UP4-TH with clover.

Couple of gotchas:
- Move your Kext's over
- The flag for nvidia web driver is different in the new clover.

* GA-Z77-DS3H + Intel HD4000 Gfx + macOS Sierra INSTALL SUCCESS ! *
  • Backed up El Capitan and my EFI partition
  • Mounted EFI with EFI Mounter v3
  • Ran Clover_v2.3k_r3751.pkg and kept my previous UEFI settings
  • Copied existing kexts (FakeSMC, ALXEthernet, HWSensor kexts) to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12
  • SIP entries and Rt Variables set same as OS X El Capitan
  • Ran the Install macOS Sierra.app from OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 desktop
  • On first reboot, I selected the Boot OS X Install option / Without Caches (Clover bootloader menu)
  • Logged into macOS 10.12 Sierra and set up iCloud - Success..
  • Clover TRIM patch, my DSDT and SSDT all working except no audio (as expected !)
  • Mounted EFI with EFI Mounter app
  • Ran Toleda audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0bo.command patch (Big Ups BTW :)
  • Rebooted back into macOS Sierra and my Realtek ALC889 audio is working :)
  • Edit:- both Messages & FaceTime are working ! (although I don't really use them much)
  • iTunes and Beats 1 Radio works

same GA-Z77-DS3H + Intel HD4000
follow Robbish's procedure (#73) and installed successfully and smoothly
The only difference is Clover version (used 3763).

And the best, SMBUp is still working.

Last edited:
Why does App store tell me that we could not complete your purchase? This version of macOS 10.12 cannot be installed on this computer

Why does App store tell me that we could not complete your purchase? This version of macOS 10.12 cannot be installed on this computer

Probably because your system definition is that of a Mac that fails to meet the minimum spec to install Sierra.
Try changing it to iMac14,2.

Do you still have an access to your old installation?
If so, you could try this:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/e...o-give-up-on-this-whole-project.160919/page-2
>> Remove OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi from EFI/EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI and install OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to resolve the issue.
>> The OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi driver can be installed through Clover Configurator or Clover Installer.

Sorry for slow answer
No i can't access to my partition happen same thing: black screen with +++ line

Is this a fresh install or an upgrade form another OS X version like El Capitan or Yosemite for i.e

Is a try of "upgrade" from El Capitan

Probably because your system definition is that of a Mac that fails to meet the minimum spec to install Sierra.
Try changing it to iMac14,2.
I was using MAC PRO 3,1 Should I update that or switch to 14,2?

I was using MAC PRO 3,1 Should I update that or switch to 14,2?

MacPro3,1 does not meet the minimum spec to install Sierra.
If you want to install Sierra then you must change the system definition as previously stated.
Suggested system definition is iMac14,2.

So I had a 3,1 system def, changed it to 14,2. it now reports a 14,2 in the system profiler. when I try to install macOS from the install file (download from another mac) and go to pick the install disk, they are all grayed out. if I mouse over my boot drive it says 'This version of macOS 10.12 Sierra cannot be installed on this computer' and it wont let me proceed. I'm not sure what else to try? I booted off a memory stick with Sierra on it and it let me install it, then got a new option in clover but when I picked it, it came up with a white (X) symbol and shut the computer off.

This is that point i don't understand. I have never seen (as far as i remember) that i had this virtual device.

For instance, the physical EFI partition is the one that successfully load the config.plist.

It seems that there is a mislink between physical and virtual pointing to device... is this virtual device mandatory ?

How to remove/correct configuration and make the good partition available / installing clover upon this ?

Thank you

This is so called corestorage. Happens to real Macs as well when they try to encrypt your disk.
Fire up Terminal:
diskutil cs list
(you'll see a scheme of corestorage logical group with long IDs, if you have one. Copy the last long ID then):
diskutil coreStorage revert [paste logical volume ID here]
Thats it.

Wow. El Capitan to Sierra, this was probably the fastest Hac OSX update I ever did.
Gigabyte H87N-WiFi (ALC892) + AirPort compatible Mini PCIe Adapter + GeForce GTX 760
I have full graphics, sound and WiFi, and all with a minimum of mucking about.

I want to thank ALL of you so much for your valuable input!

Summing up the most critical points, for those (like myself 2 hours ago) who can't make heads or tails of most of the cryptic insider posts here... ;)

- Switched system definition from MacPro3,1 to iMac14,2 (my heart still bleeds) in Clover Configurator; additionally downloaded the latest MultiBeast and installed the iMac14,2 system definition in there, no clue if that made a difference.

- Launched Clover Configurator and updated it. When it relaunched, I ALSO updated my EFI installation: mounted the EFI drive from within CloverConf and selected "Install/Update Clover" from the sidebar on the left, followed the steps displayed.

- CloverConf settings used:
* Acpi: FixHDA √ (old way)
* Boot: nvda_drv=1 √ ... kext-dev-mode=1 √ ... XMPDetection=Yes
* Devices: USB inject √ ... Fix Ownership √ ... Audio Inject 1 ... ResetHDA √
* RtVariables: BooterConfig 0x28 ... CsrActiveConfig 0x3 ... (should fix SIP/System Integrity Protection issues)
* SMBIOS: used Wizard to generate iMac14,2 spec
* System Parameters: Inject Kexts YES
(Mount EFI drive, load config from EFI drive, make changes, save changes to config on EFI drive, reboot)

- With EFI drive mounted, I went into Mac HD/Library/Extensions/ and copied everything from there into EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. I also downloaded a few standard kexts from this website and put them in there, "just for fun". The FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement, some Ethernets etc. Don't know if any of those (other than FakeSMC) are important, but it seems to work.

- Launched macOS Sierra installer from /Applications/ and Rebooted system into Clover bootloader. Picked the install macOS option (not standard system drive; showed up after updating Clover EFI) and pressed SPACE. Checked the nvidia Web Driver, the unsigned kext thing and verbose mode. Also went into Clover bootloader options and allowed all sorts of Kext related things in there. Unfortunately, I can't really remember what those were. After that, I confirmed the boot and got to the installation routine without any spinning beach balls or other issues.

- Had older nVidia Web Driver installed on El Capitan. Downloaded nVidia Sierra (beta?) Web Driver 367.15.10.05f01 (google it) while still on El Cap, but only installed it once Sierra was completely installed. Sierra booted fine without the newer Sierra-specific driver, but I installed the newer one anyway. Workes a treat.

- I've no clue how I got audio to work under El Capitan. After installing Sierra, the AppleHDA.kext was probably a mix of toleda's thing and kextCommander and what do I know. On El Cap, I always had an un-deletable AppleHDA892.kext in my bin, a remainder of my countless failed attempts (before I magically succeeded) of getting audio to run, and I couldn't completely empty the bin.

So after installing Sierra, I followed toleda's "restore native AppleHDA guide" (google it), extracted the original AppleHDA.kext from the Sierra installer and replaced the f**ked up one in /System/Library/Extensions/. Then I used toleda's CloverALC version 120 (110 doesn't work with Sierra) and patched the original-again AppleHDA.kext with it, using AudioID 1.

I now have working sound and an empty bin. Yay.
EDIT1: ...and audio even comes back after sleep, hooray!

That was basically it... I hope I didn't forget anything.
And I hope this summary could help save at least one guy's evening.

Because I dealt with a fair bit of fear, here's something to hopefully loosen you up a bit:
What sits on the bottom of the ocean and shivers?
-- A nervous wreck.

Thanks again! This is the best board, like, evur and stuff! <3

EDIT2: one slightly bugging thing... mouse scrolling is really weird now. Using a Logi Anywhere MX, worked fine in El Cap and now the scrolling is somehow laggy. I turn the wheel, but the page only starts scrolling once the mouse wheel stops. Anywhere. Everything else works great and as before, just scrolling is crap. Already looked through Logitech and Mouse PrefPanes but nothing I changed there fixed it. Miffed.

Last edited:
Back