Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

use 3751

These instructions do not work with my system shown in my signature.
I copied FakeSMC.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
I updated Clover to r3761 (also tried r3762 and r3763).
Had to remove graphics card and use on board graphics - HDMI port - in order to get installer to run.
Had to DESELECT Without Caches in order to get installer to run.
I used Clover r3763 and r3762 - would not boot with graphics card - onboard graphics booted OK.
Tried many boot options to get boot with graphics card:
Have installed alternate NVIDIA graphics drivers - NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers for OS X 10.12.0 (16A23) - would not boot.
nv_disable=1 would not boot.
nvda_drv=1 would not boot.
vebose mode showed hung at FakeSMC: [Fatal] failed to initialize SMC device.
Tried adding:
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

to config.plist and removing nvda_drv=1 but still would not boot with graphics card - onboard graphics booted OK.

So on Sierra:
1. No graphics card.
2. Also, no Audio.
3. Also system will not shut down or restart - Have tried FIXSHUTDOWN in config.plist - no dice.

Previous El Capitan worked perfectly.

Any ideas?

Anyone else tried system definition 17,1 on Sierra? Just getting black screen issue. Usual AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext tweak not working in Sierra.

:headbang: Upgraded Yosemite test HD, :banghead: Was quite straight forward ( tony's instructions) until it came to getting the sound working (Gigabyte z97-ud5 1150 onboard ), :thumbup: Think I ended up using the patched 1150 apple hda kext from my Yosemite system I'm not sure but now resolved after a lot of head scratching, all working now inc sleep function, usb, :yawn: sound after sleep working great after using code command kext. o_O Not using NVidia web driver, apple driver seems ok for my gtx 780. :mad: One concern is Geekbench score is about 600 points lower than my Yosmite score but apart from that all is good, :clap:Thanks to the many post in here really helped a lot. I wont be using this as my main system yet but mainly for testing as I would prefer to wait for cuda drivers and to do a clean install.:clap:

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply wildwillow!

I am already using 367.15.10.05, driver isnt an issue its using sys def 17,1 it would seem can only get it to work with 13,2
as for teh audio i will give this a try, again thanks for the reply :)
I'm using a EVGA GTX970 with macOS Sierra build "16A323" and web driver 376.15.10.05f01 with an iMac 17,1 system definition, have you manually edited the graphics device policy through Terminal? This configuration is working for me.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161256-solving-nvidia-driver-install-problems.html

I've seen where several other people have had issues with getting a black screen with a mouse midway through the install after you finish up with the installer and need to boot into the OS X drive for the first time to finish the install. However, I never saw where there was a clear resolution. I noticed on mine that I was receiving a Sound Assertion in AppleHDA.kext kernel panic. I tried several things to fix this, but was ultimately able to finish the install by booting in safe mode.

I've seen where several other people have had issues with getting a black screen with a mouse midway through the install after you finish up with the installer and need to boot into the OS X drive for the first time to finish the install. However, I never saw where there was a clear resolution. I noticed on mine that I was receiving a Sound Assertion in AppleHDA.kext kernel panic. I tried several things to fix this, but was ultimately able to finish the install by booting in safe mode.
Mine is doing the same, I used terminal to create the installer, hangs 3 quarter of the way with spinning beachball.

Then installed El Cap successfully to do the update method but when i reboot to the Sierra installer it gets to the exact same point with the spinning beachball.

Screen doesn't blackout, progress bar and apple logo still remain.
Anybody else had this issue and been successful getting past it?

GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
GTX970

I upgraded my H77N-Wi-Fi writing a guide and the steps include removing the El Capitan audio patches from KernelsAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch. As audio patches have changed in macOS Sierra removing them gave the same result as you booting in safe mode, then applied toleda's new script once installed.

Can I update from Yosemite to Sierra with this method?
Can I copy everything from S/L/E to EFI/Clover/kexts/Others ?

Back